Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks; that's highly informative.

I hate to say it, but do you think Tesla may be applying a certain amount of planned obsolescence: not engineering the car to last too much longer than its expected lifetime? My Model S will probably last forever, but that's not actually so great for the car company. If they designed the cars to start failing after 12 years, by which time most people replace their cars anyway, it would probably make for more sustainable sales....
I very much doubt the planned obsolescence theory. Elon has been going on and on about the potential for a million mile drivetrain for quite some time now. Deliberately manufacturing a product to fail after 12 years would run counter to that goal. If anything, I'd expect that Tesla would attempt to build the M3 like a tank. They want these to roam autonomously 24 hours a day and have very high driving uptime, so they'll need to be quite sturdy to withstand this unprecedented abuse.

I very much doubt the planned obsolescence theory. Elon has been going on and on about the potential for a million mile drivetrain for quite some time now. Deliberately manufacturing a product to fail after 12 years would run counter to that goal. If anything, I'd expect that Tesla would attempt to build the M3 like a tank. They want these to roam autonomously 24 hours a day and have very high driving uptime, so they'll need to be quite sturdy to withstand this unprecedented abuse.
I agree. However, a planned replacement cycle for some parts is perfectly consistent with a planned long life. There is nothing wrong with periodic replacements if they are handled well. All of us expect to update software and replace tires. In ICE there is so much more. Periodic replacements are wise if lifetime performance and costs benefit by so doing.

Maybe I think in aircraft owner terms. Planned reserves are part of the deal. If Tesla chooses such options they'll need to include these in their program as they already do for brake fluid and coolant.

Reactions: neroden
Just came across this snipppet about the US Treasury issuing a lot of bonds at a fairly high price. Also, this might mean the US Treasury is running low on cash, after using reserves to avoid crossing the debt ceiling, ($20 trillion.)

There is another auction tomorrow that might cause it to exceed $20 trillion. Am I missing something? Shouldn't this be all over the news?

It's also worth noting the interest rate for the 4 week notes is very high, around .8%.

Reuters Article -

Institutional - Announcements, Data & Results

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Drax7 and moe.salih
Just came across this snipppet about the US Treasury issuing $56 billion tomorrow, which will take US debt over the debt ceiling, ($20 trillion. Am I missing something? Shouldn't this be all over the news?

It's also worth noting the interest rate for the 4 week notes is very high, around .8%.

Institutional - Announcements, Data & Results
Tweet Rachel Maddow, is she still hyperventilating over Trumps taxes?

Yes! They've been suffering recently as their demand and attention shifted smaller while key rivals invested in the big vehicles. The Bentley Bentayga, Maybach MB G-class monstrosityhttp://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-mercedes-maybach-g650-landaulet-first-ride-review and other show just how much of the high end luxo-barges without BMW watching. Oddly MB and BMW are doing taht without spending much money either, just picking from existing parts bins. BMW really needs to support all their on again/off again/on again i program with some luxo barges of their own. Sadly they've a smaller store of wild excess in their existing parts bins because they've been a bit 'sensible' lately, and a bit generic.

The next five years will be really fascinating for the car business in Europe, especially, won't it? How will Tesla fare?

Maybe the $30K car buyer is not an EV buyer. The $30K and 200 mile range golden target is an assumption, not a fact.

Perhaps EV buyers over the next five years will continue to be higher income who perhaps don't have feelings of risk when buying a new type of vehicle. The decline of the middle class perhaps is occurring with the rise of the upper middle class.

Sure. Aluminum connections have been used in a fair variety of PV installations for decades, including one I made in 1989 in the Bahamas.
*snip*
I hope taht helps without dragging out my metallurgy reference books. I'll wager some mechanical engineers among is can provide a much more compelling explanation than can I.
Thanks for the info, and for not assuming I was trying to be the first three letters of the word assuming. :)

It's a small sample but the ~1000 people I saw in line in the 3+ hours last April to reserve their $35,000+ car were very diverse and not representative of any particular income level.

Same with the cars in the parking lot - a few EVs Leafs and a couple of Model Ss - and then a broad spectrum of ICE - Jeeps to Corvettes and a few beaters.

Once the M3 gets some broad publicity, watch out!

Don't love this news. Seems a bit 11th hour to be identifying the supplier that will allow your battery to connect to your motor...???
Do we think Tesla would order 3000km of cable from a new vendor that they've just identified and have not tried out? From what I read, G&G only said that Tesla approached them, but there is no details about the timeline so they could have approached them a while ago and did evaluation. It's possible that the evaluation just finished during the RC build, Tesla is satisfied that the cable works with their production process, and now pulled the trigger on the volume order.

Maybe the $30K car buyer is not an EV buyer. The $30K and 200 mile range golden target is an assumption, not a fact.

Perhaps EV buyers over the next five years will continue to be higher income who perhaps don't have feelings of risk when buying a new type of vehicle. The decline of the middle class perhaps is occurring with the rise of the upper middle class.
That is correct for certain. None of us have any idea what will happen with all the new BEV's and PHEV's that are coming during the next three years. All we have are hopes and dreams, and imagine how VW, BD and BMW feel today.

I hate to say it, but do you think Tesla may be applying a certain amount of planned obsolescence: not engineering the car to last too much longer than its expected lifetime? My Model S will probably last forever, but that's not actually so great for the car company. If they designed the cars to start failing after 12 years, by which time most people replace their cars anyway, it would probably make for more sustainable sales....

I highly doubt they plan for cars to junked after 12 years.

Replace battery packs and cables every 12 years is not too far fetched.

Particularly those with substantial miles on the Tesla Network.

Status
Not open for further replies.