Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One clue that it was a specific route is that the "driver" noted that they had only logged 1000 miles on the platform and yet the car was extremely well behaved. Like the promotional videos Tesla did when the AP2 hardware was announced.

They gave the same demo to other journalists as well. Apparently the one with the Guardian didn't go well with a few disengagements. But I agree this throws nearly as much doubt on the real progress as Tesla's demo did.

Reactions: neroden
Oh Baby, Oh Baby
SpaceX makes history again
Including the successful return now
GO X! EM was sure fired up!

Am I the only one experiencing some cognitive dissonance at Tesla stock not seeing a significant bump the day after Elon Musk's other company makes history by doing something which not only no other company or government has ever done, but something none of them ever dared to think about doing and try? Have the EEGs of Wall Street and its analysts flatlined such that they can't take Thursday as a clear sign that someone with enough smarts and leadership ability to pull off rocket reusability has very good odds of delivering on the ambitious projections he makes for Telsa car production this year, next and to 2020? Plus TE, solar roofs, autonomous driving, et al.

BTW, has Jeff Bezos picked out the planet he wants to colonize with Blue Origin?

Am I the only one experiencing some cognitive dissonance at Tesla stock not seeing a significant bump the day after Elon Musk's other company makes history by doing something which not only no other company or government has ever done, but something none of them ever dared to think about doing and try? Have the EEGs of Wall Street and its analysts flatlined such that they can't take Thursday as a clear sign that someone with enough smarts and leadership ability to pull off rocket reusability has very good odds of delivering on the ambitious projections he makes for Telsa car production this year, next and to 2020? Plus TE, solar roofs, autonomous driving, et al.

BTW, has Jeff Bezos picked out the planet he wants to colonize with Blue Origin?

I think there is a long-term material impact of this kind of achievement in making it harder to peddle several of the falsehoods of "bear" negative campaigning (i.e., Musk being a conman, Tesla having no technological moat,...). That is, more about changing the background context about what narratives are credible or not in evaluating Tesla, rather than some immediate catalyst for the stock.

Part of negative campaigning is muffling coverage of positives as well as the flooding of hit pieces. Muffling coverage of positives by not covering them at all, or burying any reporting and giving a misleading, dismissive spin. As far as I've observed, the media has had strikingly little coverage or excitement about this milestone event. I scanned Yahoo's homepage the past few days, and the SpaceX story was 20 or so items down that page each day (and, followed two to three other Elon or Tesla stories, though they may have shown me those to me based on my history of clicking on Tesla stories). The Reuters story I found there on SpaceX today had this inaccurate and belittling headline (though not necessarily by intent) "SpaceX launches first recycled rocket in test of cost-cutting model."

I think supporters of Ron Paul or Bernie Sanders would understand quite well what we're experiencing (purposely picked two quite dissimilar potentially disruptive political movements to make a point about the media and cronyism, not the merits of either movement's political views).

Last edited:
California legislature about to unveil a new plan that institutes an additional $100 registration fee for electric and hybrid vehicles starting in 2020 to help pay for road repair and infrastructure.
I hate these fines for being responsible by owning an EV.

Are they charging a comparable fee for gas cars? If not, this is equivalent (at the new, increased California gas tax rates) to a fee for driving 4854 miles in a 25 mpg car. That's.... tolerable, I guess, but it really soaks low-miles-per-year drivers and encourages them to buy gas cars, which is sick.

This article sums up the debt situation debacle that no-one is talking about.

Debt Frozen at $19,808,747,000,000—For 15 Days

For 15 straight days (March 15-29), the Daily Treasury Statements have said the same thing: the debt subject to the limit is frozen at $19,808,747,000,000.

At the same time, both the “debt held by the public,” consisting of Treasury bills, notes and bonds, and the “intragovernmental debt,” consisting of money the Treasury has borrowed and spent from government trust funds (such as the Social Security trust fund), continue to fluctuate on a daily basis.

The US Government is using accounting gimmicks and "extraordinary measures" to create the illusion that the debt is not increasing, to prevent it from breaching $20 trillion.

How can the total debt have not increased when the US Treasury has auctioned off ~$600 billion in T-Bills since March 16th?

Why aren't any journalists discussing this?

Interestingly, it looks like the debt has sort of been frozen since ~September 2016. In theory, the debt ceiling could have been breached before January 1st, 2017.

IMG_7559.PNG

Debt to the Penny (Daily History Search Application)

Last edited:
I think there is a long-term material impact of this kind of achievement in making it harder to peddle several of the falsehoods of "bear" negative campaigning (i.e., Musk being a conman, Tesla having no technological moat,...). That is, more about changing the background context about what narratives are credible or not in evaluating Tesla, rather than some immediate catalyst for the stock.

Part of negative campaigning is muffling coverage of positives as well as the flooding of hit pieces. Muffling coverage of positives by not covering them at all, or burying any reporting and giving a misleading, dismissive spin. As far as I've observed, the media has had strikingly little coverage or excitement about this milestone event. I scanned Yahoo's homepage the past few days, and the SpaceX story was 20 or so items down that page each day (and, followed two to three other Elon or Tesla stories, though they may have shown me those to me based on my history of clicking on Tesla stories). The Reuters story I found there on SpaceX today had this inaccurate and belittling headline (though not necessarily by intent) "SpaceX launches first recycled rocket in test of cost-cutting model."

I think supporters of Ron Paul or Bernie Sanders would understand quite well what we're experiencing (purposely picked two quite dissimilar potentially disruptive political movements to make a point about the media and cronyism, not the merits of either movement's political views).

fwiw, would delete this post if the time to do so hadn't expired... I'd rather have given myself more time to consider these ideas before deciding to post or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.