Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt we would disagree on actual sales in any country because we both obviously see the data. Without doubt there is a substantial market for Model S and X in:

Some countries like France,Germany, The Netherlands don't have a strong correlation between income and size of car. As people move up in income in densely populated Europe most buy higher spec small cars. Without the US and Chinese market the S-Class and 7 Series would be a much smaller car if it existed at all because the domestic market would not have the economies of scale to support it.

This is not true in China and Korea. There is a strong correlation between increasing incomes and buying bigger cars.It is just that in China they have many more people outside the global middle class than in it

Some countries people still prefer small cars as incomes rise while in others people buy more stuff in their smaller cars.

if you're paying 7% on margined shares it's costing you $21/yr to carry those shares.
you could buy a deep in the money 200-220 jan 18 call that would have $5 in time premium and save a lot of carry i would venture.

I don't think that way I borrow money at a lower rate and make money at a higher rate my borrowing cost is approximately 4% at one Brokerage and close to 7% at another Brokerage but overall in the last 4 months I've made anywhere from 45 to 50% return on borrowed money so all in all it's worth the stress
And if I'm right then I'll make 200 to 300% returns on borrowed money over the next several months to years so paying 4 to 7 or even 8% interest to make those returns makes sense to me
Now I'm not recommending or advocating debt. Most people don't like debt and I totally understand and agree
However I personally differentiate between good and bad debt and my personal stance is to amplify my returns with borrowed money. While I don't have peace of mind like someone with zero debt, I'm far better off financially with my personal approach

i think m3 guidance is going to be fine, based all we've seen to date.

there's one thing you left out: what if... what if they could guide to positive gaap earnings for q2 as well? that will change the game completely imo.

my modeling indicates that with the levers they have in autopilot revenue recognition and timing of zev credit sales, and with the tailwind of solarcity's nci's, they could report gaap profitability this quarter and guide to even higher profits the next quarter... in the midst of the model 3 capex ramp. that would get the shorts undies' all in a big ole bunch!

plus guiding to 2 quarters of straight profits - which we've never seen - will force the possibility of 4 quarters of consecutive profitability. and then the big dogs that follow the s&p 500 will start coming out to play.

Who knows? One thing that Tesla (auto) has going for it is the run-off of resale and residual value guarantees from prior quarters. If you will recall from mid-2013 through mid-2016, those types of transactions caused GAAP losses and non-GAAP "profits" or at least lower losses because of the lease treatment caused by the contingent liabilities.

In mid-2016, Tesla discontinued reporting non-GAAP add- backs for resale/residual value guarantees, ostensibly because of SEC reprimands. The GAAP/non-GAAP situation has since reversed itself, as the run-offs now juice gross profits--take a look at the GM% for auto sales vs auto leases. If the guaranteed cars are returned, it does not really adversely impact the income statement--they just end up in "finished" goods inventory until they are sold and show up in " Services and Other" profit or loss. (That is unless the FMV is less than the RVG and the value in inventory has to be written down--unlikely, but check out the age of CPO vehicles on ev-cpo--Tesla carries used cars far longer than most "stealerships" who generally send them to auction if they can't move the metal within a month or two. FWIW, IMO this is a flaw of Tesla's direct sales approach--unlike "stealerships" where Used Cars are a profit center, Tesla doesn't have the staff/talent to do the necessary appraisals, financing and hand-holding to make used Teslas a profit center.)

OTOH, the Panasonic side of the GF was placed in service in early 1Q17. I haven't seen any recent announcement of significant PowerPack (or even PowerWall) sales to offset the depreciation that will be booked. IMO, TE GM% will be a drag on the bottom line.

• Love
Reactions: DaveT
if you're paying 7% on margined shares it's costing you $21/yr to carry those shares.
you could buy a deep in the money 200-220 jan 18 call that would have $5 in time premium and save a lot of carry i would venture.
I already have more options than I care to carry so it makes sense for me to borrow money on margin for my shares out right
I have not exactly calculated but as of now I believe approximately 8 to 9% of my total portfolio is in long-term Tesla calls and I do not think it is prudent for me to increase my exposure to call options anymore
As tesla stock price appreciates rapidly the relative percentage off my portfolio and call options also increases disproportionately not that I mind it one bit but still it makes it much more riskier

Last edited:
Brian- I wonder if they could construct a composite policy, that uses a national independent underwriter of the liability portion of the coverage... The national underwriter could then channel the coverage to the appropriate state regs where the car is registered

IMO, the idea that Tesla can write/facilitate true insurance to make purchase of its vehicles more attractive is a distracting non-starter for Tesla's core business. I think Tesla should re-evaluate whether and how to insure its own liability exposures. Google Translate

a long dated deep in the money option (1) costs less than a share, (2) costs less to carry than a share at your margin rate, and (3) gives you the same upside as that share, with (4) less risk.

and you would rather borrow money to own shares? that sounds economically irrational.

I already have more options than I care to carry so it makes sense for me to borrow money on margin for my shares out right
I have not exactly calculated but as of now I believe approximately 8 to 9% of my total portfolio is in long-term Tesla calls and I do not think it is prudent for me to increase my exposure to call options anymore
As tesla stock price appreciates rapidly the relative percentage off my portfolio and call options also increases disproportionately not that I mind it one bit but still it makes it much more riskier

Regarding my prior thoughts, Congress just went on vacation for two weeks, and there is still no coherent and complete evidence of a plan for a budget, or sufficient support to raise the debt ceiling.

The date everyone should be paying attention to is April 28th.

After Passing Debt Ceiling Deadline, What Are The Odds Of A Government Shutdown?

Anyone honestly think it's a coincidence Trump decided to try and thrust his "muscles" against North Korea today in a move that could have unpredictable consequences?

Very worried about what is going to happen when Iran, Syria, Russia, and/or one of Russia's "satellite countries" decides to make good on their promise to retaliate.

According to Height Capital, the new deadline for investors to watch is April 28. April 28 represents the deadline for the government to pass a new funding bill, and Height analyst Andrew Parmentier believes President Donald Trump and Congressional Republicans will make sure to have a plan in place by that time.

“We suspect Republican leaders know Democrats are trying to goad them into a forced fumble to demonstrate the height of incompetence: failure to carry out the most basic of governmental functions — keeping the lights on — even with one-party control of the Executive and Legislative Branches,” Parmentier explained.

He believes Trump’s aversion to being viewed as a failure means the likelihood of an actual shutdown on April 28 is only around 15 percent.

I don't think Trump has any aversion to being viewed as a failure. His approval rating is already at an unprecedented low. If the "Government can't keep the lights on" for an extended time, Trump will do the same thing he does when discussing Syria, and the debt - blame it on Obama, and not comment any further.

I wonder how the CIS (Commonwealth of Independant States) will affect how things play out.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: EnzoXYZ
Have you read the research note by Adam Jonas? The valuation of $300 was in the mindset of not achieving 500,000k by 2023. Imagine if they hit that number in 2019 what would that mean? Way more than $300...

Yeah. Like everyone else, I am not entirely sure why he is so extreme in his conservative ramp. I understand it directionally. Elon is chronically underestimating risk (or overoptimistic if you prefer). That helps him say things like 'hey -- lets go to Mars' over a realist, but you have to discount his timelines. Manufacturing isn't even the only bottleneck. Everything from cobalt, to sales and service, to demand generation, to batteries all going to TE, to delays for installing more automation, is plausibly constraining. If you think of it logarithmically this is a multiple of 5x production, another 5x and they are past BMW, and another 5x and they are bigger than Toyota or Volkswagen (biggest on planet). So, it can take years and be just fine.

Nevertheless, yes, I think the stock is worth more if they actually do better.

a long dated deep in the money option (1) costs less than a share, (2) costs less to carry than a share at your margin rate, and (3) gives you the same upside as that share, with (4) less risk.

and you would rather borrow money to own shares? that sounds economically irrational.

Wrong. You are just burying your assumptions in complexity you don't understand and calling it risk reduction. But hey remember 2009? And those were professionals.

(incidentally Hewitt - use your words and grow up with the spite voting)

there's no complexity, it's a simple inequality. cost of carry for margin shares is > cost of carry (time premium) of deep in the money option.

If you show me a tsla example with stock + margin stock vs cash + deep in the money options that shows margin is a better idea i will be happy to revisit my understanding of this topic.

2009 they were writing leveraged options. we are talking about buying options using cash not loans. blowup risk is zero.

Wrong. You are just burying your assumptions in complexity you don't understand and calling it risk reduction. But hey remember 2009? And those were professionals.

This video from 2011 does a great job explaining what the CIS is, and provides some context what is happening today. I find it very interesting that there are very few videos on YouTube about the CIS (Commonwealth of Independent States), which was basically created in 1993 to establish a "New and somewhat related USSR" out of specific parts of the former USSR.

It is very rarely mentioned that the USSR didn't cease to exist after it "collapsed". A lot of the influence and power wielded by the USSR became part of the CIS.

Might be a coincidence, but I find it interesting the words "three pronged approach" are the same words that Trump has been using, albeit for different things.

Regarding my prior thoughts, Congress just went on vacation for two weeks, and there is still no coherent and complete evidence of a plan for a budget, or sufficient support to raise the debt ceiling.

The date everyone should be paying attention to is April 28th.

After Passing Debt Ceiling Deadline, What Are The Odds Of A Government Shutdown?

Anyone honestly think it's a coincidence Trump decided to try and thrust his "muscles" against North Korea today in a move that could have unpredictable consequences?

Very worried about what is going to happen when Iran, Syria, Russia, and/or one of Russia's "satellite countries" decides to make good on their promise to retaliate.

I don't think Trump has any aversion to being viewed as a failure. His approval rating is already at an unprecedented low. If the "Government can't keep the lights on" for an extended time, Trump will do the same thing he does when discussing Syria, and the debt - blame it on Obama, and not comment any further.

I wonder how the CIS (Commonwealth of Independant States) will affect how things play out.

I know the Chinese government had already announced they would stop N. Korean coal shipments (essentially half of N. Korea export money), but the US supply was unexpected to me. Trump -Xi negotiations? Pretty surprising way for Trump to support his voting constituents economically.

I doubt the debt ceiling will be an issue. Republican Legislature and Executive and arguably Supreme Court. It was only an issue with divided legislature/executive branches (for political points and gamesmanship).

I suspect the Carrier fleet to N. Korea is part of an agreement between Xi-Trump and not a way to divert attention from the debt ceiling due to Republican Legislature/Executive. They are likely to pass a last minute bill and move on. And at this point I do not see Putin particularly hyperventilating about the losing crazy guy in the peninsula either.

China, IMHO, has no love for generation 3 of the N. Korean dynasty. Their trusted liaisons with the N.Korean govn't have been executed by generation 3. Further he basically spat on Xi's face by killing his own half-brother, who was under Chinese protection. Not wise. China is unlikely to raise a finger against N. Korea, but then again, they may not raise a finger for generation 3 when and if push comes to shove. I wouldn't be surprised if the US was to successfully take out gen 3, that China would step in with a convenient successor and prevent further chaos, thereby maintain status quo.

I would not be surprised if the posturing over Syria (by Russia) is just that. They were likely not particularly happy with Assad's use of Chemical Weapons, but as an "ally" didn't feel they could prevent it. So basically let the American's do it, and we'll just wag a finger and tell Assad "told you so..." and chastise the Americans for being belligerent. So ultimately, I doubt much will come of this missile strike except a slowdown in cooperation against ISIS.

China rejects North Korean coal shipments, opts for US supplies instead
China rejects North Korean coal shipments, opts for US supplies instead

Fox News - 3h ago

China has sent a flotilla of North Korean freighters loaded with coking coal back to their home ports, according to an exclusive Reuters report.

Everything from cobalt ...

There was recent talk with Eberhard and Tarpenning at Stanford, and Eberhard claimed that if there is a cobalt shortage, or the price gets excessive, it can be replaced by manganese, so to the Cobalt investors here, look into it. 21:18 36:34

btw. good talk, Eberhard seems still be somewhat hostile towards Tesla

Last edited:
Solarcity will contribute profits every quarter for this year (and probably growing profits), I think. But overall Tesla will have a loss... until Model 3 reaches a decent run rate in probably Q4... maybe Q3. Who knows. I think it's too much to expect profitability while Model 3 is just getting off the ground. But I'd love to be surprised. And I haven't dived into Q4 Tesla financials enough to really know what I'm talking about.
If they are not profitable, but substantially closer than the market expects, and SCTY contributes profits for Q1, with expectations of SCTY contributing profits for every quarter through the M3 ramp don't you think thatt would trigger an SP bump?
Sorry that I wasn't clear, I meant margin. At the moment, I'm paying $100/month for 24k margin and it's been good to me for the last few months. I can up that to 30k now, and then again to 50k a few months from now.

The dilemma is, if I up my shares and it dips, that would suck for all the reasons mentioned. On the other hand, if I don't think it's great to increase my margin, then it shouldn't be a good idea to keep my current margin levels, because there's nothing special about my current margin levels at all.
Just replace enough of your shares with J19 $280's or $300's (currently about $46.00 each) to get control of the same number of shares as borrowing 50k. Zero worries about short term dips.
If you show me a tsla example with stock + margin stock vs cash + deep in the money options that shows margin is a better idea i will be happy to revisit my understanding of this topic.

2009 they were writing leveraged options. we are talking about buying options using cash not loans. blowup risk is zero.
Exactly!
However, if he has the next GFs lined up, he may be thinking exactly what you are inferring and once again pulling everything forward.
Charlie Anderson Q4-2016 about 62 minutes said:
You talked about Gigafactories, 3, 4 and possibly 5. It sounds like you're pretty covered with Gigafactory 1 in terms of the 1 million vehicles, but I wonder if you could just speak to the strategy and thinking and timing there. And then also Panasonic would be your partner on those as well. Thanks

Elon Musk Q4-2016 about 63 minutes said:
I think we'll reserve some dry powder for announcements later this year. This is surely more than enough news for today. But I think those announcements will be really quite exciting later this year.
Ken, don't you believe that "quite exciting" for 2 or 3 Gigafactories means something other than a cap raise. IMO the way that would be quite exciting, is by going right to the edge.

Last edited:

but i like being economically irrational!

Ken, don't you believe that "quite exciting" for 2 or 3 Gigafactories means something other than a cap raise. That would be quite exciting, as in being on the edge.
Yep, sure do Mitch.
And he may have another way to accomplish besides Cap raise (or at least with only a limited one). I think that's a very good possibility.

If so, that would reduce the priority to forcibly jack the SP, with a specific strategy of financial levers as luvb2b is suggesting. I think the SP will increase just on execution and GF announcements alone.

Although Tesla may in fact GAAP positive for 4 quarters, I'm not seeing it as a pressing priority, which for me, translates to levers not being pulled unnecessarily...

Sooooo - my 'warning' is with that as a risk, play TSLA with long term stock or DITM calls J19 (keeping anything else to discretionary monies).

there's no complexity, it's a simple inequality. cost of carry for margin shares is > cost of carry (time premium) of deep in the money option.

i must admit you guys are way too sophisticated for me. i am a rather simple minded investor who just does not understand the complexities of high finance. if i see a stock go up i buy it. if a stock goes down i sell it. and since my personal means are quite limited i end up using a bit of leverage. i do have a lot to learn and i appreciate you guys taking the time from your busy schedules to teach. Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: everman and Lessmog
Tesla appears to need all of its credit facility to fund its own expansion plans. Also:

"10.14 SolarCity. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, (a) the Company and its Subsidiaries shall not guarantee or otherwise become directly liable for any Indebtedness of SolarCity and (b) the Company and its Subsidiaries shall not permit SolarCity to guarantee or otherwise become directly liable for the Indebtedness of the Company or its Subsidiaries."

EX-10.1
That's boilerplate; you don't need a guarantee or a liability to pay off a subsidiary's debt.

Watch the trend in the debt outstanding on each facility from quarter to quarter.

Of course, it just makes sense to use lower-interest-rate sources of borrowing. That's kind of a "duh".

To anyone with more than 100% into TSLA, at what point would you borrower more to invest into TSLA? I just realized that I have that option open to me.
This question wasn't addressed to me since I absolutely don't do that, but I would never borrow more to invest into TSLA.

This is what I'd do instead. If I was tempted to borrow money to invest into TSLA, I would instead buy deep in the money calls (back when the stock was closer to $240, I bought some $120 Jan 2019 calls). Basically I'm putting half the money down (and the other half I have to pay in Jan 2019 in order to execute the option), so it's like borrowing money.

I pay a premium, which is like paying interest, but I have to pay it upfront in cash. The nice part is that the effective interest rate is lower than I can get on margin loans. (By all means, compare the two, if you are getting great rates on margin loans, it may be different for you.)

Anyway, the thing is, Tesla is volatile; you never want to be at risk of margin calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.