Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have a perspective on that, but please don't assume I'm correct.
Chinese entrepreneurs have a habit of 'gambling' on very risky bets that might pay off very big. Around the world that is most obviously seem with fairly massive investments in startup extractive minerals, often in high-risk-political climate. It also is seen in distribution and manufacturing wherever, however they can get a foothold. They also invest in unlikely ventures simply to learn, often by finding technical talent. Comac and their newly flying C919 just is a good example, given that to all appearances they managed to reverse-engineer a B717 (nee MD-95).
Lucid, unless I'm wrong was a long shot bet by Jia Yueting, that probably will give lots of education but will fail financially. Faraday is similar, including Jia Yueting, but also has some steadier hands in Mitsui. That too probably will be better with technology transfer than with product launch. I'll speculate that the net of these two will be to spawn a third, successful onslaught in a few years time. We may be confident there have been lots of lessons learned.even though we're not tooo likely to go driving away in either one of them anytime soon. That could change were somebody like BYD to decide to join forces. if that happens it'll be another story.
The c919 is much more like a Boeing 737 or Airbus A320 than like a 717. In particular it has wing mounted engines, not rear mounted.

That is true, but the original fuselage, much of the electrical and hydraulic systems looked like C717 extracts. The engine placement and wing are entirely different, and the fuel system appears to have nothing comparable to any legacy. My best guess is that they started with cribbed DC-9 series designs, later found wing mounted engines worked better, as almost everyone else has recently, so used other approaches. My comment was based on their justifiable effort to reduce development cost by cribbing what they could. FWIW, there is almost nothing A320-like except for fuselage dimensions, which are pretty much A320 dimensions. The wing, by contrast was actually done entirely by Comac and is supercritical. By the time they finished it was all theirs, part of the reason it has taken so long.

I was wiring shorthand,and obviously oversimplified to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: neroden
Good points.

However, Jaguar Land Rover is Indian owned, Volvo is Chinese owned. The Nissan Europe share needs to have Renault added, but then must be viewed as a French controlled company anyway. The overall Japanese penetration in Europe is anyway less relevant than is their share in countries that do not inhibit their growth. Switzerland, the Scandanavians are good cases.

JLR is engineered and manufactured in Europe. JLR European market share is less than 1%

Volvo is engineered in Europe. And save for the S90 and LWB S60 manufactured in Europe. Volvo's European market share is less than 2%.

Volvos,Jaguars and Land Rovers are not being imported from overseas displacing European Jobs and GDP.

Nissan and Renault have cross ownership and have an "alliance" in engineering and procurement but they remain separate companies.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dennis
so apparently the rumor is einhorn is going to give an extensive short presentation on tesla at ira sohn tomorrow. the recent pop around 230p est was a manager who gave a bullish call on tesla.

here's the wikipedia on the guy who gave the bullish presentation.
Chamath Palihapitiya - Wikipedia

Can anyone explain to me why hedge fund managers like Einhorn are taken seriously by the public/media? Here's his recent performance at Greenlight Capital:

Greenlight Capital Returns.jpg

I think in 15 years, a company will be worth over 2 trillion dollars. My bet is on Amazon, but might be Apple or Alphabet if they don't get disrupted before. Facebook also has a shot if they create a product around Virtual reality and Augmented reality (VR glasses, and content...), which might disrupt the smartphones and computers altogether.

So if Tesla is in the top 5 biggest valuation in 15 years, which is plausible given Elon's ambition. Then they might be in the ballpark of 1,5-2 T.

2T might seem huge, but already any company that is worth more than 400B, if their market cap keeps growing at a rate slightly higher than the market (say 12% on average), in 15 years it's over 2 trillion.

The point is that the statistics show these guys (by which i mean, hedge fund managers and several analysts who cover TSLA) are significantly worse than blind luck. You would literally be better off choosing stocks at random than following their advice.

Right, but the only reason anyone pays attention to Einhorn himself is because he's know for calling the 2007/08 crash.

Edit: I don't know enough to know whether his call was lucky or well-informed.

Right, but the only reason anyone pays attention to Einhorn himself is because he's know for calling the 2007/08 crash.

Edit: I don't know enough to know whether his call was lucky or well-informed.

I think that one was pretty obvious. I was telling friends and family about it well in advance and positioned myself accordingly, and I'm not claiming any amazing insight.

1)Yes, the Chinese have large and increasing market share in smartphones but Apple still takes almost all the profits.

2) In autos Detroit had to break faith with the American buyer by making some absolutely horribly unreliable cars in the 70's and 80's to give the Japanese an opening. The Germans and French never broke that faith with the European buyer. Toyota(combined with Lexus) have 4.8% market share in Europe vs 14% in the US and Nissan(plus Infiniti) have 4.2% market share in Europe vs 9% in the US. Honda (plus Acura) has 9.3% US market share but less than 1% in Europe.

In other words I think Tesla has to really screw the pooch in markets outside China to give the Chinese EV makers an opening in the $30k plus global EV market.

I think it's almost everyone other than Tesla trying to kick the transition to EVs down the road for as long as possible that is going to give Chinese automakers a massive opening to mature markets. I don't think any of this is an issue for Tesla, because from today, with over a year wait for new Model 3 reservations, through at least 2030, I think there will be a considerable gap between the demand for long range EVs and the supply, even if we reach the point of ten million plus Chinese EVs exported per year.

Reactions: neroden and EinSV
I think it's almost everyone other than Tesla trying to kick the transition to EVs down the road for as long as possible that is going to give Chinese automakers a massive opening to mature markets. I don't think any of this is an issue for Tesla, because from today, with over a year wait for new Model 3 reservations, through at least 2030, I think there will be a considerable gap between the demand for long range EVs and the supply, even if we reach the point of ten million plus Chinese EVs exported per year.

It is in everyone's nature to pick the lowest lying fruit first. The Chinese EV makers will concentrate on meeting domestic demand which will give the legacy automakers time to get in before Chinese EV makers can turn their sights on foreign markets in any serious way.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchJi
They've successfully kicked the transition down the road for 20 years. Why would they think that some Silicon Valley Startup is a reason to maybe stop kicking and try?

It is in everyone's nature to pick the lowest lying fruit first. The Chinese EV makers will concentrate on meeting domestic demand which will give the legacy automakers time to get in before Chinese EV makers can turn their sights on foreign markets in any serious way.

We've already seen signs of the legacy automakers moving to the world's EV future within the borders of China, while dragging their feet outside of China in regard to this very same global shift. I think this will largely continue. I think it is quite probable consumers outside of China will be more open to try a Chinese EV than otherwise as they are irked by the likely to continue feet dragging strategy by the likes of Toyota, Ford, etc. i.e., that these global giants might actually be offering such EVs in China but not in the U.S. or Europe would just add to the irritation/desire to look elsewhere, including Chinese built vehicles.

JLR is engineered and manufactured in Europe. JLR European market share is less than 1%

Volvo is engineered in Europe. And save for the S90 and LWB S60 manufactured in Europe. Volvo's European market share is less than 2%.

Volvos,Jaguars and Land Rovers are not being imported from overseas displacing European Jobs and GDP.

Nissan and Renault have cross ownership and have an "alliance" in engineering and procurement but they remain separate companies.
Sure, you have stated facts. None of these are major market movers. All of these are ambiguous.

Status
Not open for further replies.