Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warning: I am not a stamping engineer.

I think what you are describing is the result of a standard mechanical press having a fixed displacement based on the eccentric cam that drives it. If the die interferes, the entire mechanism jams and you suddenly have a whole lot of inertial trying to break things. Akin to hydrolocking an ICE.

The Schuler presses are hydraulic which provides much higher adjustability and control over the stamping process compared to a standard fixed stroke mechanical press. The maximum force is also limited to the hydraulic fluid pressure, even in a premature bottoming case. From their literature https://www.schulergroup.com/major/...s_broschuere_hydraulische_pressenlinien_e.pdf
It seems like switch over is fairly fast. The lead press also has a hydraulic bed which monitors the forces as the die reaches full stroke.

The old Schuler line is hydraulic, the new one is not. I'm guessing it's mechanical servo.

http://stamtec.com/files/Stamtec_PressComparison_wp_v6.pdf

I'm confused, are you saying the line can't run faster and bank parts (no extra time) or that it does run faster and banks a week of parts?

If the 3 is 10k per week, and they bank a week of parts, and the gap between parts is two inches, in a single row that is 1,666 feet, or more than a quarter mile, for one part.

Each press line has a maximum speed (strokes per minute). You don't necessarily run at maximum speed, and there are times you can't because of the difficulty of the part you're making. The design quality of the die can also affect how fast you run the press. Speed directly affects part quality. Naturally, you'll try to run at the fastest speed as you can without adversely affecting the part.

And no, you don't shorten shut height to make parts faster. It doesn't work that way. Shut height is determined by the press you have, and during the design process of the part and the die, and optimized for part quality,. We're not stamping license plates or forks here, but class A body panels with some very subtle and difficult shaping.

You don't bank parts unless you have to because there simply isn't enough press time available to extend your individual part runs. If you bank just an extra 100 parts, then you have to add the time it takes to your production schedule. Then you have to add that same time to your production schedule for every other part that you make on that press line. Now you've cut into your press down time for things like maintenance. Obviously, if you're only making 50 cars a week, it's less of an issue to add 10 extra parts for each part run. But I also addressed other reasons in another post of why you don't bank parts. Yes, there are times when you do bank parts, but it's not something you strive to do or generally want to do. Ask anyone who's had to schedule parts production. ;)

I think it takes way longer than 10 minutes to change out all of the dies. That is why Tesla says that they make weeks worth of a particular part before they switch the dies to start making the next part. So every die change they can eliminate increases their press efficiency.

Yes, it's definitely more than 10 minutes but it's not like it would be an hour (unless there was a problem of course). I'd guess in the 20-40 minute range depending on the simplicity or complexity of the die set. Some just slide in, clamp down, plug in and you're good to go. Others require air hook ups or scrap chute adjustments etc... Obviously, you'd try to streamline process as much as possible.

@Krugerrand

Are you sure I'm the person you are thinking of? I never said anything about shut height impacting speed. Theorectically, a smaller eccentric results in a smaller die acceleration, and could allow a higher rotation/ cycle rate. But again, never my point.

You bank parts if it makes sense. If you want to minimize die changes or reduce the impact of a machinery breakdown, then you bank. Maybe we are misunderstanding what each other means by bank. I'm happy to talk in the one week, 10k part range.

The press line has to be able to make enough parts to meet vehicle production. That production takes a fixed number of cycles. The variable is how many die changes will occur during the time span. If you bank one week of parts, you have (at worst) a one week lag before start of production, then your buffer evens things out.

To be more time/ space economical, one could start with partial week volumes to match when the normal full week cycles line up.

I have to admit I don't intuitively understand the appeal from the debt buyers' perspective. Their maximum upside is 5.3%, but that presumes that Tesla's absolute worst case scenarios are taken off the table and that they get paid back. If you take the worst case scenarios off the table, surely the equity risk:reward is more appealing? Of course there has to be some X% where this works, the market decided 5.3% using experience and bond raters and comps and so on, and for me there would have to be SOME percentage I'd make that deal, but my intuition is like err.. 10%? Given how little debt Tesla has presumably there isn't a lot of risk on the table for senior positions. I figure I've made it this far without fully grasping the logic of the credit markets, so I can continue being ignorant but if there's any magical explanation that would give me an epiphany how it can be such a low number I'm open ears.

Weekend OT

Names-Elon.png

Names-Tesla.png

You bank parts if it makes sense. If you want to minimize die changes or reduce the impact of a machinery breakdown, then you bank. Maybe we are misunderstanding what each other means by bank. I'm happy to talk in the one week, 10k part range.

Reducing die changes doesn't necessarily save you time, but what it can do is royally screw up your production and maintenance schedule. Die changes just don't take that much time. We're not talking the old days here where everything was done by hand. Spare bolsters sit outside each press on a track. While one die set is producing parts, workers will be craning the next scheduled die set onto those bolsters, securing them and doing anything else that needs to be done to prepare them to go in. When it's time, the set you're done with will roll out of the press on the opposite side, the new set will roll in and be hooked up and ready to go before the set you just finished with has had a chance to be taken off and plopped down for some toolmaker to wipe it down and check over before being put away. Rinse and repeat. Not a big time consuming venture.

If we were privy to actual press down time at Tesla, I'd bet my entire TSLA portfolio that die change time doesn't even register in the top 10 list of reasons for down time. It never has at any press shop I've worked at or been privy to.

The press line has to be able to make enough parts to meet vehicle production. That production takes a fixed number of cycles. The variable is how many die changes will occur during the time span. If you bank one week of parts, you have (at worst) a one week lag before start of production, then your buffer evens things out.

Yeah. Doesn't work that way in the real world. In the real world, dies break, get smashed, presses break down, double hit, programs get corrupted, end of arm tooling breaks, scrap jams up, bad material happens, someone leaves a wrench in the press, robots fart and so on to infinity. You don't bank parts unless it's a necessity and then you bank just enough to cover your butt and not a single piece extra...especially when you're Tesla, doing as many parts as they are with a very limited number of press lines.

Adding: Banking extra parts is akin to making entries in a restaurant before a customer has even opened the menu. Neither good companies nor good restaurants do it.

Last edited:
I have to admit I don't intuitively understand the appeal from the debt buyers' perspective. Their maximum upside is 5.3%, but that presumes that Tesla's absolute worst case scenarios are taken off the table and that they get paid back. If you take the worst case scenarios off the table, surely the equity risk:reward is more appealing?

I think its very simple.

In addition to stock they own, they ensure that tesla is equipped to deliver, so they get 5% from the bonds and 100% from stocks later, the stocks part having a much higher probability than without the bonds.

• Informative
Reactions: 22522
I think its very simple.

In addition to stock they own, they ensure that tesla is equipped to deliver, so they get 5% from the bonds and 100% from stocks later, the stocks part having a much higher probability than without the bonds.

Yeah I retract my post. I understand what's going on well enough it would be hard to really answer to my satisfaction so it might lead to some wasted effort. Apologies.

Via reddit:
For some suppliers, a cautious eye on the EV's prospects

Magna CEO Don Walker told an industry conference last week that automakers share his skepticism of faster market penetration, but can't say so publicly.

"They know what's going to happen, but they have to say what is going to be popular to be perceived as a progressive company," Walker said Aug. 2 at the Center for Automotive Research Management Briefing Seminars near Traverse City, Mich.

If true, this means legacy automakers are even more conservative on EVs than it looks. Fine with me :rolleyes:...

I think journalists do what they can, but they don't have the expertise or the focus that you and many other here do. Regardless, comments from Magna explain why ICE makers have been dragging their feet. I agree with your conclusion that "competition" from legacy auto manufacturers is many years away, if it ever comes.

Apple, on the other hand... Apple/Foxconn/CATL combo may become credible competition.

That's definitely one thing that could change the landscape. A/F/C would have a learning curve to catch up to T, however they have the technical knowledge and financial firepower to scale quickly. Maybe not 1-2 years, but certainly in 5. The only question is if the have the will and the staying power to spend (WAG) $20b-50b creating a worldwide scale vehicle.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
I have to admit I don't intuitively understand the appeal from the debt buyers' perspective. Their maximum upside is 5.3%, but that presumes that Tesla's absolute worst case scenarios are taken off the table and that they get paid back. If you take the worst case scenarios off the table, surely the equity risk:reward is more appealing? Of course there has to be some X% where this works, the market decided 5.3% using experience and bond raters and comps and so on, and for me there would have to be SOME percentage I'd make that deal, but my intuition is like err.. 10%? Given how little debt Tesla has presumably there isn't a lot of risk on the table for senior positions. I figure I've made it this far without fully grasping the logic of the credit markets, so I can continue being ignorant but if there's any magical explanation that would give me an epiphany how it can be such a low number I'm open ears.

Can they mix it in with other junk bonds to fluff up a fund?

Can they mix it in with other junk bonds to fluff up a fund?

Excellent, then get an even better rating for the packaged fund?

Where did I hear about this back in 2006-2007? Hmmm...

Hundreds of billions of dollars' worth of these triple-A securities were downgraded to "junk" status by 2010,[1][4][5] and the writedowns and losses came to over half a trillion dollars

A sane overview / disccussion of Tesla's bond issue here:

Behold the Sheer Artistry of Tesla's Bond - Bloomberg Gadfly

Downvote my posts all you want. Tesla will face reality sooner or later when the tide turns.

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

PS: It's also telling that none of the points I raised

- 1GW vs 10GW in solar capacity
- 100-200k Model3 in H2 2017
- past debt issuances in 2014-2016 for the very same tickets/promises. namely Model3 and GF1,

were discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.