Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully they’re starting to crank it up before ER.

My Q3ER/CC fantasy: The CC is held at the end of the model 3 general assembly line and JB is quietly in the background counting the model 3s rolling out. As each new analyst is introduced JB gives us the current count.

Now, you might think the acoustics would be bad in that setting??........They could not be any worse than they have been for any previous CC.

My Q3ER/CC fantasy: The CC is held at the end of the model 3 general assembly line and JB is quietly in the background counting the model 3s rolling out. As each new analyst is introduced JB gives us the current count.

Now, you might think the acoustics would be bad in that setting??........They could not be any worse than they have been for any previous CC.

The worst time for investors like myself was 2012, waiting for S to ramp, the second worse was waiting for the X to ramp. In both cases there were months of complete and utter silence on VIN counts or spotting any Tesla’s in the wild. Although we are not seeing M3 ramp at machine gun speed, the clouds this time around isn’t anywhere nearly as grey when compared to MS&X days. It’s quite possible that the bad news has already been priced in.

Whitefish sounds like those “contractors” that show up on your door after a natural disaster. They will promise to fix everything for cheap, then disappear with the deposit... or if one is foolish enough to pay up front, everything.

Actually the opposite. From Questions swirl after small Montana firm lands Puerto Rico power contract

PREPA's executive director, Ricardo Ramos, told reporters last week during a press conference the cash-strapped island chose Whitefish because it didn't require a big deposit upfront. The other unnamed contender wanted a $25 million down payment for the work, Ramos said.

"In that moment, we were not in a position to offer that collateral," said Ramos. "The other company did not ask for a guarantee of payment."

Actually the opposite. From Questions swirl after small Montana firm lands Puerto Rico power contract

PREPA's executive director, Ricardo Ramos, told reporters last week during a press conference the cash-strapped island chose Whitefish because it didn't require a big deposit upfront. The other unnamed contender wanted a $25 million down payment for the work, Ramos said.

"In that moment, we were not in a position to offer that collateral," said Ramos. "The other company did not ask for a guarantee of payment."
So Whitefish is like ambulance chasing lawyers then, no upfront cost, but they will put in little work, settle for a shitty outcome, and take a huge cut.

The grid has to be reconstructed, regardless of micro-grid. There is no one to pay for a major micro-grid initiative, AFAIK.
It's typical blame game Ricardo and others are playing. Everybody has their 10 fingers pointing at everyone else.
It's not like Puerto Rico has a storm once a decade. Why didn't Ricardo maintain a better grid? Yeah, it's the money factor

PREPA claims, they talked to 5 other companies. It should be asked to show the bids.
Puerto Rico gov seeks to cancel $300M Whitefish contract
Power company Director Ricardo Ramos has said that Puerto Rico's Electric Power Authority reached a deal with Whitefish just days before the hurricane struck, saying that he spoke with at least five other companies that demanded similar rates, in addition to a down payment the agency did not have. Ramos also said the Federal Emergency Management Agency had approved of the deal, something the agency has denied.

Tesla or anyone else should be allowed to rebuild whole Puerto Rico grid for $300M, the amount Whitefish is charging.
(Good luck! My estimate is $20B-$35B for solar + batteries That's with Elon-like assumptions of zero maintenance and installation costs, and zero land costs.) It will take a decade instead of 3 months.

Impressive new autopilot video. The previous versions would quit on almost every bend. Go Karpathy!

Won't let me embed the video halfway, but that's where the best bits start.

Looks like they applied a smoothing function to AP so it is not as jerky. But at the same time it means that it is not able to cope with sharp turns fast enough.

Do we know if the previous version was able to deal with the sharp turns?

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Re: Whitefish and the $300M PR contract, a helpful resource on Twitter:

Bleak Spookzak‏ @BlakeSobczak 5 minför 5 minuter sedan

The PREPA+Whitefish Energy deal is dead, based on this press conference from PREPA's executive director Ricardo Ramos. The rest is logistics

Bleak Spookzak‏ @BlakeSobczak

With all the reporting around Whitefish Energy’s $300M deal with Puerto Rico’s main public power utility, I thought I’d lay out a timeline.

15:33 - 27 okt. 2017

The rumor is the two people working at Whitefish who got the $300M contract is well connected in the U.S.

The Trump administration is rushing to distance itself from Whitefish Energy's Puerto Rico contract
Yes, I think it was in the twitter thread I just linked to that Blake stated Zinke Jr had a summer job in their common home town of Whitefish Montana and the owner happening to be on vacation in PR contacted the head of power soliticing services. For a price, mind.

EDIT to add:
Scrap energy deal - Puerto Rico governor

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.