Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else little miffed that there was no mention of FSD for the semi or the roadster which come out after musks initial FSD prediction timeline. I’m feeling as if AP news has gone silent. When are Tesla’s going to be good for a taxi service, before or after uber takes delivery on its 24,000 Volvo’s.

Yep. Less than 6 weeks and counting to the full self driving cross country destination event. Maybe they will even do it a little early. Don't hold your breath that this will happen prior to mid 2018. This event needs to get at least the usual +6 months EM timeline filter.:rolleyes:

He did, but it was subtle. He said the current technology would make the 3 truck convoy 10× safer than human drivers. And the cost per mile looked to be based on eliminating at least 2 drivers. 1.26 vs .85 0.41 per mile × 60 × 3 trucks = 73.80 an hour savings, at 2kWh/mile and 0.07 per kWh. There can only be a electric savings of 25.20 (zero usage) so >$50 savings due to things other than power.

I'm hoping they are kind of keeping it as an ace up the sleeve, and I think it's a bigger ace than most. I could see them making a big thing of it, like doing a record time for en EV coast to coast, and first without touching any controls like "Tessie please take me to Times Square for New Year's Eve" or the White House or something. But I remember from the conf call some mention of when regulators were going to say it it's okay, like does it have to be as safe as a human or many times safer or what, but I'm not sure if that was FSD or highway autopilot. On the glass is half full side, just imagine if they do postpone it and it happens to coincide with the same quarter that m3 really ramps.

Just noticed on @bonnie twitter feed that her model 3 config page says that AWD is expected Sping 2018 - did I miss something or is this earlier than previously anticipated?
That's earlier than before. I'm a day 0 reservation holder and current owner, and my delivery estimator for first production shows November - January. The same estimator shows July-September for dual motor.

Just noticed on @bonnie twitter feed that her model 3 config page says that AWD is expected Sping 2018 - did I miss something or is this earlier than previously anticipated?

That's earlier than before. I'm a day 0 reservation holder and current owner, and my delivery estimator for first production shows November - January. The same estimator shows July-September for dual motor.
Well, Bonnie is very well known and well connected, probably also 0-day reservation or better. Rejoice with her.

Serious people, what's taking so long?

aVOSkIC.gif

giphy.gif
n-BUSH-MISSION-ACCOMPLISHED-628x314.jpg

Anyone else little miffed that there was no mention of FSD for the semi or the roadster which come out after musks initial FSD prediction timeline. I’m feeling as if AP news has gone silent.

Tesla may not want to antagonize truck drivers employed by companies that eventually will be ordering fully autonomous semis. Many potential Roadster owners may prefer to retain full control of their cars.

Looks like AWD might be available for me too in the Spring & i'm no Bonnie :eek:.
View attachment 261965
Thank you, that explains it. You are looking at the configuration screen, while I'm looking at the delivery estimator. 2 different spots on their web site so it isn't surprising that they don't agree with each other. The configuration screen is newer so it should be more trustworthy.
Delivery_Estimate.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I'm hoping they are kind of keeping it as an ace up the sleeve, and I think it's a bigger ace than most. I could see them making a big thing of it, like doing a record time for en EV coast to coast, and first without touching any controls like "Tessie please take me to Times Square for New Year's Eve" or the White House or something. But I remember from the conf call some mention of when regulators were going to say it it's okay, like does it have to be as safe as a human or many times safer or what, but I'm not sure if that was FSD or highway autopilot. On the glass is half full side, just imagine if they do postpone it and it happens to coincide with the same quarter that m3 really ramps.

The Semi and Roadster reveal has provided all the adrenaline Tesla can use for now and news of M3 ramping up for real by end of year will be another shot keeping the brand in the news in the next few months. For this reason I'd like to see the coast to coast look ma no hands event postponed until they are double and triple certain nothing can go wrong. I think the damage from failing would be greater than the good PR from a success. One or two quarters into 2018 that changes and the successful coast to coast will be the cherry on top of the fudge sunday.

• Disagree
Reactions: MitchJi
Tesla may not want to antagonize truck drivers employed by companies that eventually will be ordering fully autonomous semis. Many potential Roadster owners may prefer to retain full control of their cars.

By the time Roadster comes out owners will have the best of all worlds. Retain full control (of the fun) when they want it, let car drive itself for periods when they are tired and have Auto pilot keep them out of harms way when a potential crash situation presents itself.

Interesting: Scott Perry is the Ryder executive who falsely told Reuters last summer that the Tesla semi would have 2-300 miles range and that Ryder wasn't interested. A year prior Perry had signed a deal for Ryder to be the exclusive nationwide distribution and maintenance provider for Nikola's hydrogen trucks. Perry left Ryder earlier this month to join Nikola as their COO. Ryder is now buying a fleet of Tesla Semis.

Nikola to Unveil Electric Class 8, Strategic Partnership with Ryder
Ryder’s Scott Perry Goes to Nikola
Truck Leasing & Fleet Management Firm Ryder Systems Placing Order For Tesla Semi Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.