Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How Ford plans to market the gasoline-electric F-150

DETROIT -- People who buy F-150s don’t much care about fuel economy. It ranks No. 28 on their list of priorities....

To coax devotees into the greener future, the company (Ford) won’t be stressing the benefits of cutting back on carbon-dioxide emissions or the costs of tanking up. Instead, the marketing will go something like this: The battery in the hybrid F-150 not only feeds the electric motor, it’s a mobile generator that can keep the beer cool at a tailgate party, charge your miter saw and run the coffee maker on a camping trip.

Not believing it as fact, but I am buying on the belief that the market is totally overlooking that Tesla is way behind in even acknowledging receipt of deposits due to much higher reservation volume than anticipated. It blows a huge hole in the best bear argument, that they will run out of money before volume production of the 3.

I think you are reading way to much into non-responses. If anything, there is no response because they where ready to take the deposits and just need the money, FUD take... I dont remember getting any notification when I reserved my solar roof and even when I canceled it, but I did have my money go to them and come back, so I didnt care.

How Ford plans to market the gasoline-electric F-150

DETROIT -- People who buy F-150s don’t much care about fuel economy. It ranks No. 28 on their list of priorities....

To coax devotees into the greener future, the company (Ford) won’t be stressing the benefits of cutting back on carbon-dioxide emissions or the costs of tanking up. Instead, the marketing will go something like this: The battery in the hybrid F-150 not only feeds the electric motor, it’s a mobile generator that can keep the beer cool at a tailgate party, charge your miter saw and run the coffee maker on a camping trip.
Ha, they still think EV is just about being green. I can't wait to see their reaction when they see Tesla pickup's spec, just like Porsche, Mercedes, diesel truck makers when they saw the new Roadster and Semi.

• Helpful
Reactions: skitown and MitchJi
From my limited understanding of Australian peak power charges, they should make a killing on the spot market.
Yes exactly, my favorite part is:

"In the old world, responsibility to deliver electricity in 30 minute settlement periods was acceptable because old technology – gas/coal – needed that long to react. Tesla’s battery can react nearly instantly. The coal and gas people know they’ll lose out to batteries in the most expensive, most profitable settlement periods because they’re slow."​

Hit them where it hurts :D

Yes exactly, my favorite part is:

"In the old world, responsibility to deliver electricity in 30 minute settlement periods was acceptable because old technology – gas/coal – needed that long to react. Tesla’s battery can react nearly instantly. The coal and gas people know they’ll lose out to batteries in the most expensive, most profitable settlement periods because they’re slow."​

Hit them where it hurts :D

Its almost like Tesla Purposely started with things that have high margin, like Sports cars and Luxury cars and Tile roofs vs asphalt and so on. Attack the margin from the top down and leave no survivors. No one cares if you make a car with 5% gross margins that you need to sell a million of to break even. They care when you start to drain their top margins like a milk shake from that movie "There will be Blood". I am going to take my straw and I am going reach my straw over into your top margin brands and products and I am going to drink your milkshake, I am going to drink all of your milkshake! I paraphrase, but something like that.

GM links electric vehicle effort to autonomous driving in attempt to compete with Tesla

One interesting piece of info from GM here is that trucks account for 1/3 of the miles traveled. Tesla will attack that 1000B miles market with one semi model, while GM is working on attacking the other 2000B miles, but with 18 models based on their EV platform. I'm not an expert but the economy of scale seems backward for GM.

35-550f9859f0.jpg

GM links electric vehicle effort to autonomous driving in attempt to compete with Tesla

One interesting piece of info from GM here is that trucks account for 1/3 of the miles traveled. Tesla will attack that 1000B miles market with one semi model, while GM is working on attacking the other 2000B miles, but with 18 models based on their EV platform. I'm not an expert but the economy of scale seems backward for GM.

35-550f9859f0.jpg

Yes, because Autonomous without EV is pointless. Once you remove the drive, the fuel and maintenance becomes the most expensive part of operating the Autonomous Taxi. If your fleet is an ICE, your pricing just wont be competitive. Cost per mile is dramatically higher after you remove the driver.

I think you are reading way to much into non-responses. If anything, there is no response because they where ready to take the deposits and just need the money, FUD take... I dont remember getting any notification when I reserved my solar roof and even when I canceled it, but I did have my money go to them and come back, so I didnt care.

We'll find out, Feb 7th (or so) at the latest. They've said that they are behind in notifications due to high volumes. The market has way underestimated demand for the S as well as the 3 in the past, and I believe that this time is no different.

We'll find out, Feb 7th (or so) at the latest. They've said that they are behind in notifications due to high volumes. The market has way underestimated demand for the S as well as the 3 in the past, and I believe that this time is no different.

No doubt, but $2B? Im not arguing that that Tesla did not get a lot of reservations. Tesla doesn't even have to tell us how many because when you see the balance sheet on the next earnings you see that account for reservations that's been around $600M for a while now, if that jumps to $1.6B, then you will know that you got about $1B from Roadster and Semi. I think $1B is probable over the next 12 months, but no necessarily by Dec. 31st.

Porsche US CEO: "We have lots of respect for Tesla – and, yes, I'm sure there are some Porsche customers, that in terms of connectivity, digital stuff in the car and electric battery in the vehicles, didn't find the car that they wanted with Porsche so they bought somewhere else," Zellmer said

I am one of those customers.

Porsche executive talks about keeping up with Tesla
Their Mission E sounds like an excellent car:

Porsche will debut several new vehicles Friday at the Los Angeles Auto Show. But the German automaker's most exciting vehicle won't even be there. Touted as a major competitor to the Tesla Model S since it was teased as a concept vehicle in 2015, the Porsche Mission E will debut in 2019, the Verge reported.

Porsche has already made a foray into hybrid vehicles with the Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid Sport Turismo , which similarly isn't yet available in the U.S. But the Mission E marks the brand's first attempt at an all-electric vehicle.

The Mission E will, according to The Verge, have comparable charge time, speed and cost to the Tesla Model S. But it will cost less than Porsche's hybrid vehicle – and drive a bit slower, too. The Mission E will allegedly have certain autonomous features and may be sold at different price brackets.

Porsche’s Tesla rival spotted in the wild for the first time

The all-electric Porsche Mission E, set to be released in 2019, has looked like some of the strongest potential competition to the Tesla Model S since being announced in concept form back in 2015. Now it’s finally completed an important ceremonial step in the world of cars: moving from pretty, computer-generated renderings to spy shots of it driving around on actual roads.

Both Autocar and Autoblog published photos today that show what they’re referring to as the “near-production” version of the Mission E. And while it might not look as fantastical as the concept renderings, it most definitely looks like a Porsche, though it leans closer to the look of the four-door Panamera than it resembles a 911. (Which is maybe not surprising: Autocar spotted a Mission E test mule a while back that was based on a Panamera.)

We’ve known some vague benchmark statistics about the Mission E since it was announced, but they’ve been congealing ever since. The car’s batteries, which are reportedly being made by Hitachi, will bestow the car with something around 310–330 miles of range. When that drains, they can supposedly be charged 80 percent in just 15 minutes.

Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid I drove this summer, but then again the Mission E is only supposed to be about half the price, with a sticker around $100,000. (That said, it also sounds like Porsche could sell different performance — and therefore different price — levels of the Mission E, according to the report.)

Porsche’s electric flagship will also get over-the-air updates, much like Teslas do, and will have a certain amount of autonomous features. But don’t expect this car to do all the driving for you. “There are situations in traffic jams where you will be able to read a newspaper, but our customers take pleasure from driving and this will remain,” Blume told Autocar.

The ceo confirmed that they are currently testing the car in hot and cold climate.

• Helpful
Reactions: TMSE
Before it’s noticed that it’s an MX I thought that he had reserved a Roadster!
[URL='https://www.gympietimes.com.au/news/honey-i-just-bought-a-200000-car/3279106/']Honey, I just bought a $200,000 car
b881110344z1_20171130164503_000gplstotv2-0-z71ui40oi8zikwllcp2_fct1771x1316x377x100_ct620x465.jpg

"I remember walking in to the showroom and thinking, what idiot would buy a car with white leather seats?"

"Two and a half hours later I was putting a deposit on it."

"I honestly walked in there with no intention of buying it,” he said.

"You get in it and go wow, it is something that honestly cannot be described."

"This is the future.”
[/URL]

Reactions: DragonWatch
I agree.
I'm tempted to put reservation in; even-though I don't know how would I pay for it, would wife kill me mercilessly quickly or would she take her own sweet time, and if my credit line has enough space to draw from for it...

GM (Cruise Automation) demoed their autonomous car in the past two days in San Francisco.
As I expected, it's just a marketing stunt. I would be surprised if their current approach can solve the problem in 15 years. Now I don't worry about GM's autonomous anymore.

Vision + AI is the real solution for autonomous driving. Tesla is on the right track.

Yes, because Autonomous without EV is pointless. Once you remove the drive, the fuel and maintenance becomes the most expensive part of operating the Autonomous Taxi. If your fleet is an ICE, your pricing just wont be competitive. Cost per mile is dramatically higher after you remove the driver.
At least GM understands it will be a race to the bottom in terms of margins in the ride sharing business, and they're preparing for the fight. Ford, for example, still has no clue. They still think they need hybrids, they don't understand that their competitor's EVs already have the range to be competent all-day urban transportation, where the ride sharing services will mostly be at. GM is right that the autonomous ride sharing will have a huge 1st mover advantage due to economy of scale. When the move happens it will be over quickly for Ford and their likes.

Edit: just to add more comment on how badly Ford is positioned. Ford's hybrid (Fusion Energi at $33k) is already being priced out of competition by EVs like Tesla Model 3. Hybrids haven't gotten cheaper for years because there is no new cost reduction to be found in engine/transmission/hybrid system. The battery is where cost reduction is happening, and pure BEV's prices are dropping fast. But the hybrid is getting weighed down by the cost of both engine and motor, and a much more complex transmission, both to build and to maintain during the car's lifetime. It's even less competitive than just a simpler ICE car when compared against a BEV. It's literally the worst platform that once can pick for the future full of autonomous cars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lessmog
Apperently the run rate off the model 3 line is "100 a day and climbing fast" according to this post.

Assuming ten hour production days, five days per week.
100 M3/day (500 M3/wk) = 10 large carrier trucks with ten M3 each leaving the Fremont factory each day, one per hour.
200 M3/day (1,000 M3/wk) = 20 large carrier trucks with ten M3 each leaving the Fremont factory each day, one each half hour.
500 M3/day (2,500 M3/wk) = 50 large carrier trucks with ten M3 each leaving the Fremont factory each day, one every twelve minutes
1,000 M3/day (5,000 M3/wk) = 100 large carrier trucks with ten M3 each leaving the Fremont factory each day, one every six minutes.

Anyone can say anything. Before we have anyone else stating X rate of M3/day, please look at the above figures and go over to the M3 thread under last VIN numbers or latest production car photos to check out what is known to support their statement. As far as I can see from the M3 threads we are still not out of hEll 1134.

Best,
Daniel

Assuming ten hour production days, five days per week.
100 M3/day (500 M3/wk) = 10 large carrier trucks with ten M3 each leaving the Fremont factory each day, one per hour.
200 M3/day (1,000 M3/wk) = 20 large carrier trucks with ten M3 each leaving the Fremont factory each day, one each half hour.
500 M3/day (2,500 M3/wk) = 50 large carrier trucks with ten M3 each leaving the Fremont factory each day, one every twelve minutes
1,000 M3/day (5,000 M3/wk) = 100 large carrier trucks with ten M3 each leaving the Fremont factory each day, one every six minutes.

Anyone can say anything. Before we have anyone else stating X rate of M3/day, please look at the above figures and go over to the M3 thread under last VIN numbers or latest production car photos to check out what is known to support their statement. As far as I can see from the M3 threads we are still not out of hEll 1134.

Best,
Daniel

Based on VIN sighting I think we're at <500/wk for sure, maybe 100-200/wk. But that's delivery rate, there is a 1-2 week delay from production.

Also if we don't see many trucks, remember that they could be on trains, train tracks run right up to the factory based on what I've seen:
d89639927df02112f0bf86d57a60d4d0985cc7fb1fa1543593069fd4ed9d3433.png

The cars would be in covered cargo containers. There is no way to tell from just the trucks. Also they would not use trains for low volume transportation, no point loading just 1 car in a train. But once the volume goes up , it would be a lot more economical to use trains.

We just don't know until we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.