Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we expecting Tesla's earnings report to be a beat? How will it be possible since Tesla missed on deliveries by a couple 1000 vehicles? Even guidance may be a bit weak as Tesla transitions to M3 production. Is it possible Tesla energy and solar offset the vehicle miss?
I am, in fact, expecting Tesla Energy and SolarCity to offset the vehicle miss. It may look gimmicky (one-time items) however.

Also, what constitutes a miss?

Analysts are expecting a range from ($1.06) to $0.41 EPS (Avg ($0.25)) on $2.09B to $2.52B in revenue (avg $2.26B).
Ah. Yeah, heh. I figure anything which is positive EPS will certainly count as a "beat" in terms of market reaction; beating the average estimate of a 25 cent loss will probably also count as a "beat" but I'm not so sure.

"Matt Unterman, director of the financial analytics firm S3 Partners, pegs short interest in Tesla stock at around 37.5 million shares as of Wednesday. That amounts to $8.9 billion, an all-time high, he tells ValueWalk. Interestingly, S3 picked up an additional 1 million shares of Tesla stock being shorted today after Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas revealed his upgrade."

Tesla Short Interest Rips To A New High Following Morgan Stanley's Upgrade

Thank you, this is very interesting. I was away from my desk for the whole day and could not follow shares available for shorting at Fidelity, but this data certainly fills the gap. We have extremely sharp jump in short interest all the while the SP keeps marching up. Below is the table of the latest short interest dynamic to put things in perspective. Note that short interest grew 3.342 million shares in the past 3 weeks, which is equivalent to 3.342 million shares dilution. Given healthy gains in SP, somebody (institutonal SO IMO) had to provide enormous buying pressure that overcame 1.1 million shares dilution per week. This looks like a really unique setup. In case of positive ER (Solar City bringing more cash from selling PPAs this quarter - $256MM - than burning for new installs, potential for Tesla beating their projection for the operating expenses - which they did for the last two quarters, etc.) we can have a serious breakout. Given that Bollinger Band is just a statistical indicator of the SP, by default based on last 20 days, with standard deviation of 2, it might stop to be a good predictor of SP movements during such a unique time.

Snap1.png

Panasonic officially declaring that they are very much interested in cooperation with Tesla on sensors for self-driving technology can't hurt either.

It is very unwise to be short TSLA. It would be interesting to watch how many short positions will be covered today...

Wow, I was thinking we can see net short covering today, but instead there was flipping 1 million shares shorted!

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV and neroden
Wow, I was thinking we can see net short covering today, but instead there was flipping 1 million shares shorted!

What I find fascinating about the shorts is that they appear to think much along the lines of myusername in that they're of the opinion that TSLA has now departed the realm of overpriced and entered the realm of hyper-priced lately, whereas longs like many of us feel that TSLA has exited an unusually low stock price (180s and 190s) and reestablished a moderate price. Because longs look at today's TSLA price as moderate, we see potential for significant appreciation, but shorts see us just about as high as we can go and ready to head back down. That's why they're establishing new positions. When TSLA gets the right good news this year and shoots up, it'll be a true surprise for a good portion of the shorts. Hint: stick around and don't miss it.

So are you telling me to keep my Jan 2019 250s I bought for $25 when TSLA was trading at 198??? Just want to be clear, cause my magic 8 ball says "Cannot Predict Now". I like the 555 - 736 range just fine.
I think you should. :)

And I think I should hold on to my shares also. I've been toying with the idea of selling down to TSLA being 25% of my portfolio (instead of 140% currently) at 300. But the more I think about it, the less of a good idea it seems. Why sell at 300 when you can wait and sell at 500?

(I will sell some though - I do prefer having a TSLA portion <100%.)

So we possibly have a few more weeks on this run, or we are breaking out of a 2.5 year range, possibly similar like the 2.5 year range we had from Dec 2010-April 2013. That was a 6 month straight run.

View attachment 211333

Borrowed from Twitter:
stock options picks on Twitter
I think you are onto something. I think TSLA will fool everyone into complacency and when shorts least expect will make a huge parabolic run lasting several months.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Futures up. Oil up. Another run at 250 today?
Not seeing 'sell the inauguration' so far in pre-market.

Hope so.

It's possible but the trend of the last months has usually had a couple of days of stagnation after we have touched the upper limit.

The trend+premarket would suggest possibly a strong open and closing flat.

Hope I'm wrong and we breakout. Yesterday's action was really disappointing. I was too slow to react and held on to my options. Dumb move caused by greed. Should have sold half at open if I really wanted to risk it (probably should have just sold all of it).

Greed is my enemy. I'll never learn to not get carried away. Maybe some of you can learn from my mistakes :)

• Informative
Reactions: Nate the Great
Just to drive naysayers crazy, I would love to also see some unexpected ZEV sales. I know, I know - not very likely - but that would be soo delicious!
I'm not really sure why it would be unexpected - we sold more cars, and therefore generated more ZEVs. We generate 4 ZEVs per car sold in a ZEV state. 14/50 states are ZEV states. About half the cars we sell go to the USA, and about half of those (if not more) to ZEV states. That suggests about a quarter of production went to ZEV states, and so 4 ZEVs per car equals about 22,000 ZEV credits earned in 4Q16. We know from 3Q16 that we can get around $2500 per credit. It is therefore possible for us to have sold around another $55M in ZEV credits.

ATM, I am thinking we have a up then down then up scenario building... we are in territory that longs want to sell to take profits and there is uncertainty around Q4 results, especially combined TSLA/SCTY. But first up might still bring us quite a bit of gains. And the down might be modest. If your horizon is 2nd half, then barring macro market meltdown, what happens in the next little bit should be ignored. If you sell, then you might be out and never got back in.

If we didn't have this changeover to the Trump administration, I would be even more bullish. Just don't know what to expect.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Greed is my enemy. I'll never learn to not get carried away. Maybe some of you can learn from my mistakes :)
Yesterday was a day where greed got me carried away.

I generally avoid attempts at day trading on massive up days and days where the SP action is surprising and drastic. Just too hard to predict.

But I got tempted to buy what I thought would be the daily bottom of 245.x and later was facing the choice between a small loss, or holding a larger than I planned on position for a little bit. I went for the hold.

In reality I was just excited and greedy.

And yes, max pain is acting weird since yesterday. Like the data is incomplete.

I'm not really sure why it would be unexpected - we sold more cars, and therefore generated more ZEVs. We generate 4 ZEVs per car sold in a ZEV state. 14/50 states are ZEV states. About half the cars we sell go to the USA, and about half of those (if not more) to ZEV states. That suggests about a quarter of production went to ZEV states, and so 4 ZEVs per car equals about 22,000 ZEV credits earned in 4Q16. We know from 3Q16 that we can get around $2500 per credit. It is therefore possible for us to have sold around another $55M in ZEV credits.

The question is demand for ZEVs and than Elon's readiness to sell ZEV credits for 50 cents on a dollar. Somebody need to buy them and (relatively) recent developments by CARB resulted in reduced demand for ZEVs.

ATM, I am thinking we have a up then down then up scenario building... we are in territory that longs want to sell to take profits and there is uncertainty around Q4 results, especially combined TSLA/SCTY. But first up might still bring us quite a bit of gains. And the down might be modest. If your horizon is 2nd half, then barring macro market meltdown, what happens in the next little bit should be ignored. If you sell, then you might be out and never got back in.

If we didn't have this changeover to the Trump administration, I would be even more bullish. Just don't know what to expect.

I don't want to get *political* but I am more bullish now than I was at the time that we knew the election results. Did anyone here think EM and Trump would *appear* to be BFFs??

When you look at it now it makes perfect sense. But, then.....my initial reaction was to sell. Glad I did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.