Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SeekingAlpha is not monolithic, but you're right, the vast majority of authors that cover Tesla have been negative on it, unreasonably, if you ask me.

I'm one of the very few TSLA bulls on SeekingAlpha.

Serious question - do you think all those SA Bear authors have taken actual verified bear positions? They would be pretty deep under. I "feel" like those SA authors only make money from TSLA position articles by writing click bait which generates traffic from enraged bulls.

Serious question - do you think all those SA Bear authors have taken actual verified bear positions? They would be pretty deep under. I "feel" like the only money they make from TSLA position articles is click traffic from enraged bulls.

There is no way in hell that the, what I think, "team" of ~10 contributors are doing all this just for the click-based payments.

There is a deeper purpose, but I don't know what it is.

No way to know if they are getting paid by a third-party to bad-mouth Tesla or if they genuinely believe Tesla should be worth less.

No way to know if they actually have short positions via stock or put options, or how big their positions are, if any.

What I do know is that there is no way in hell all that effort is just for the click-based payments.

In spite of everything, I still believe people are really good at heart, so I give them the benefit of the doubt, and think they're just misreading Tesla.

Last edited:
There is no way in hell that the, what I think, "team" of ~10 contributors are doing all this just for the click-based payments.

There is a deeper purpose, but I don't know what it is.

No way to know if they are getting paid by a third-party to bad-mouth Tesla or if they genuinely believe Tesla should be worth less.

No way to know if they actually have a short position via stock or puts, or how big their positions are, if any.

What I do know is that there is no way in hell all that effort is just for the click-based payments.

In spite of everything, I still believe people are really good at heart, so I give them the benefit of the doubt, and think they're just misreading Tesla.

Very informative, thank you.

What's funny is if the Koch Brothers just spent $10 million per year investing in Tesla instead of trying to bash EV's they would be way ahead. Sometimes, its acceptable to join them if you can't beat them.

I wish we had true transparency on what those writers owned/didn't own. It's unfair that you can say whatever you want and 'act' like you have skin in the game by just adding some crap like I/We are short TSLA.

$TSLA I added significantly to Anne Boleyn's $600 J 2019 call position today
She'll make a killing in less than a year
I hope so! Those have almost no time value. What are you planning on? ~$400 by Jan 2018 looks feasible.

The $480 strikes for about $16 looks better (safer) to me.

I wish I'd had more than $30k in November (SP ~ $180) when I got 15 J19 $240's for about $19.50 each.

Google ChromeScreenSnapz003.jpg

Google ChromeScreenSnapz004.jpg

Last edited:

What's funny is if the Koch Brothers just spent $10 million per year investing in Tesla instead of trying to bash EV's they would be way ahead. Sometimes, its acceptable to join them if you can't beat them.

I wish we had true transparency on what those writers owned/didn't own. It's unfair that you can say whatever you want and 'act' like you have skin in the game by just adding some crap like I/We are short TSLA.

I definitely see the benefit of that, but does the writer's ownership really matter?

Would you give more credit to an author who put their money where their mouth is?

Or would you believe them more if they were independent (i.e. no ownership)?

Either has its positives and negatives, so it's hard to tell, but either way, the quality of the argument should win regardless of ownership.

I actually think SeekingAlpha can be a valuable resource (maybe not for TSLA) as the platform houses many truly knowledgable authors.

You just have to sift through the bad stuff.. like anything in life.

Checked Max Pain and got this
IMG_0486.jpg

Looks a bit suspicious as it shows Tsla currently at 310.22 !! Wonder how reliable that quirky web site is.....

The curve is pretty steep.... I'm weighing the positive factors (continuation of a strong up trend after the 303 local bottom) vs the move up today being Solar Roof preorder news driven and petering out tomorrow.

I did sell short 320 calls for tomorrow on trading shares I bought around 313 last week... won't really cry about loosing them at 320 but hate felling like I'm not in control of the situation hahha.

I feel like we are likely to retest ATH sometime next week...

When I read SA on Tesla, I see envy driven joy at tearing someone else down. With folks playing to a gang audience.

So I am not convinced of the good of people when under these two influences: envy, a mob audience.

When I read SA on Tesla, I see envy driven joy at tearing someone else down. With folks playing to a gang audience.

Hell, I see this even here on TMC. Certain forum members spend their time trashing TSLA, and then go to the Model S and X sub-forums to spew all kinds of vague FUD and or concern trolling in the vain hope of deterring sales.

I've only seen 1 other company that elicited more hatred: Apple. Even Microsoft at its worst never got targeted like this, and MS did some pretty bad stuff in the heyday of the PC. Steve Jobs, like Elon Musk, tended to deal in hyperbole and seemingly crazy visions, which caused some people to dislike them intensely. To be fair Steve Jobs was not a nice person, admitted as much, and frankly didn't give a &:/' if people thought he was mean/crazy.

Most of the people who seem to be making a career out of trashing Tesla and Elon are clearly not good at heart. They seem to want Tesla to fail at any cost, even to the detriment of the human race. I give them no benefit of doubt, since their own actions have exposed their true nature.

Hell, I see this even here on TMC.

Yeah, there is some Aesop's fables patterning here, hardly anyone can look in an honest mirror, but they can see things better when they are not in the picture.

As for Tesla, Apple and Microsoft, I think you are spot on. Maybe character of "rule breaking" is the differentiator. Let's test:

Microsoft = first mover and runs over people based on power. Some would say "law breaker." Has created very strong dependency. There are a few things that go with dependency. I once asked someone, "If wealth is the product of cooperation, what is cooperation the product of?" They thought about the relationship between their parents and answered, "Dependancy." There is an element of denial of facts that you don't want to look at (when you see no way to resolve them) if you are dependent. Beaten spouse, or cheated on spouse blindness is the exaggerated reference.

Microsoft = Facebook = Heavy dependency to meet needs = blind eye.

Early Apple = rule breaker on how the game is played. They make competitors/people look bad (not so smart), but dependency was not intrinsically unavoidable. So you can criticize a picture that has no element of "you" in it.

Tesla = Early Apple [Original Mac except with business legs (not limited by a small screen)]. They make people look bad, and there is no dependency.

Don't know about the proposed analogies, but the influence of dependency on vision is real.

Yeah, there is some Aesop's fables patterning here, hardly anyone can look in an honest mirror, but they can see things better when they are not in the picture.

As for Tesla, Apple and Microsoft, I think you are spot on. Maybe character of "rule breaking" is the differentiator. Let's test:

Microsoft = first mover and runs over people based on power. Some would say "law breaker." Has created very strong dependency. There are a few things that go with dependency. I once asked someone, "If wealth is the product of cooperation, what is cooperation the product of?" They thought about the relationship between their parents and answered, "Dependancy." There is an element of denial of facts that you don't want to look at (when you see no way to resolve them) if you are dependent. Beaten spouse, or cheated on spouse blindness is the exaggerated reference.

Microsoft = Facebook = Heavy dependency to meet needs = blind eye.

Early Apple = rule breaker on how the game is played. They make competitors/people look bad (not so smart), but dependency was not intrinsically unavoidable. So you can criticize a picture that has no element of "you" in it.

Tesla = Early Apple [Original Mac except with business legs (not limited by a small screen)]. They make people look bad, and there is no dependency.

Don't know about the proposed analogies, but the influence of dependency on vision is real.

Absolutely brilliant!

Most of the people who seem to be making a career out of trashing Tesla and Elon are clearly not good at heart. They seem to want Tesla to fail at any cost, even to the detriment of the human race. I give them no benefit of doubt, since their own actions have exposed their true nature.

In about two minutes, I think Tim Urban (who I believe Elon personally selected to be interviewed by and write about his companies) does a very good job of breaking down much of what we see on Seeking Alpha and the internet generally, and, on occasion, right here. fwiw, I'd say this is on-topic here, because I believe it literally pays to be aware of the different kinds of actors Urban speaks about as various stories may move the stock price around in the short-term.

My sense is that most of the lawyering we see with Tesla is fee based.

OTOH we all have SA et al to thank for the cheap shares we picked up in 2H '16, after M3 unveil/preorder, MX production finally on track, Q3 good delivery, GGF1 grand opening, solar roof announcement.

Reactions: neroden
I hope so! Those have almost no time value. What are you planning on? ~$400 by Jan 2018 looks feasible.

I wish I'd had more than $30k in November (SP ~ $180) when I got 15 J19 $240's for about $19.50 each.

View attachment 228447

View attachment 228448[/QUOTE

View attachment 228447

View attachment 228448
Haven't seen this chart before, what does it represent? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.