Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, but this does not refute my conclusion that FSD will not be a sustainable competitive advantage.

What do sustainable mean? Nothing lasts forever. How long will the FSD + Long range EV + SuperCharger network lead last? Long enough to put a dozen companies out of business maybe? Nothing lasts forever, the market will adjust. But Waymo is not competition because they dont make EVs and any EV company that uses Waymo will make Waymo rich while over paying for the hardware/software. Every car market on the planet is making autonomous cars and we are wondering if Tesla has a lead? Maybe Lucid is in the lead or maybe Faraday Future. This is mind boggling how we, who are closer then most to the EV market, cant even see how feckless the competition is at this point. I fully believe competition will be something that exists in the future, but to think they will somehow magically pass Tesla in everything they are doing when its clear most are not even seriously investing is crazy. Intel should have never bought Mobileye, what the heck are they going to do what that, is Intel making a car? Intel sells millions of chips and many are very expensive. They want to buy a company to build a cheap chip and to whom? everyone is working on their own system. Lets count... Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Nissan, Audi, BMW.. Chrysler with Waymo. Then there are other OEMs like Bosch. Who are they going to sell this tech to? Unless they are assuming they will all fail and dump their own internal projects and buy their stuff. The only solution I see as vaiable is the one from the company who is making EVs because autonomous without EV is like tits on a bull, pointless.

What do sustainable mean? Nothing lasts forever. How long will the FSD + Long range EV + SuperCharger network lead last? Long enough to put a dozen companies out of business maybe? Nothing lasts forever, the market will adjust. But Waymo is not competition because they dont make EVs and any EV company that uses Waymo will make Waymo rich while over paying for the hardware/software. Every car market on the planet is making autonomous cars and we are wondering if Tesla has a lead? Maybe Lucid is in the lead or maybe Faraday Future. This is mind boggling how we, who are closer then most to the EV market, cant even see how feckless the competition is at this point. I fully believe competition will be something that exists in the future, but to think they will somehow magically pass Tesla in everything they are doing when its clear most are not even seriously investing is crazy. Intel should have never bought Mobileye, what the heck are they going to do what that, is Intel making a car? Intel sells millions of chips and many are very expensive. They want to buy a company to build a cheap chip and to whom? everyone is working on their own system. Lets count... Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Nissan, Audi, BMW.. Chrysler with Waymo. Then there are other OEMs like Bosch. Who are they going to sell this tech to? Unless they are assuming they will all fail and dump their own internal projects and buy their stuff. The only solution I see as vaiable is the one from the company who is making EVs because autonomous without EV is like tits on a bull, pointless.

We were only talking about FSD, but thank you for your post.

I still hold my $385 calls, they are up 370%. I just have a feeling that we have some room to run today and tomorrow, so am still not decided when to sell...

So I sold my $385 weekly calls today in the morning. Although they did hit approximately 370% profit level, I did not have a chance to sell them at the high point because I was tied at a conference call at the time. While I would like to think that this was the only thing that prevented me form selling at the local top, my record of doing so is not that great. :)

I still managed to hit 87% profit on these calls. Together with selling/rolling weekly puts, this has been a very good trading week.

Drax7 and VA, could you maybe give me some infos on what you disagree so I can either extend my argument or change it, or calibrate it..? thanx.

About a year or so ago Elon was offering Holtz, a computer hacker , to come over to Tesla
To figure out autonomous driving and 1million dollar bonus for achieving certain
Benchmarks. Holtz refused, luckily for Tesla.
Watch the Amnon video previously posted to get an understanding
Of what it entails, versus that of holtz and the type of people previously hired and in charge at Tesla
For autonomous driving. Moreover, notice the progress since they broke from Mobileye , it speaks
Volumes. That is what leads me to believe that Tesla is not at the forefront.
Elons new hire , Karpathy, should have a huge positive impact .

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: tlo

Intel can easily displace nvidia , whomever nvidia is selling to.
Their competence in chip making is second to none.
Mobileye q4 and q5 chips are outsourced, intel will insource and build on that
And Compete against Nvda.

Agreed, but this does not refute my conclusion that FSD will not be a sustainable competitive advantage.
Like Apple's App store is not a sustainable advantage? If Tesla can quickly capture a significant market share before everyone else catch on with the low-cost FSD without LiDAR, they may have a shot in replicating Apple's app store dominance.

Reactions: callmesam
Intel can easily displace nvidia , whomever nvidia is selling to.
Their competence in chip making is second to none.
Mobileye q4 and q5 chips are outsourced, intel will insource and build on that
And Compete against Nvda.

I'm skeptical that Intel will though. Intel completely missed the boat on mobile and the basically worldwide transition to ARM architectures. Also, Nvidia has a ton more experience making GPUs, which is likely to be the bottleneck in these types of computing applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.