Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the meaning of that sentence that Tencent wanted to buy into Tesla before Baidu and Baba also bought in, pushing up the price, or that Tencent wanted to invest in Tesla as a priority over making investments in Baidu and Baba?

The former.

I have long said American mega-tech companies should buy TSLA at the open market, but I guess it's easier when you're not competing with that company, so Tencent has made the first move, but if the SP stays here for long, we may see more strategic buyers come in at multi-billion scale.

Is the meaning of that sentence that Tencent wanted to buy into Tesla before Baidu and Baba also bought in, pushing up the price, or that Tencent wanted to invest in Tesla as a priority over making investments in Baidu and Baba?

Tencent views Tesla as an obvious buy for Baba, Baidu, and Tencent. If Tencent doesn't act quickly, the other two might act and drive up the stock price. It would then be difficult for Tencent to buy shares.

They probably also worried about Baba and Baidu buying the entire Tesla. I would be surprised if Tencent didn't increase shares after the 5% initial investment. Nothing prevents Baba to buy 5%. Tencent has to have more shares to be sure.

The former.

I have long said American mega-tech companies should buy TSLA at the open market, but I guess it's easier when you're not competing with that company, so Tencent has made the first move, but if the SP stays here for long, we may see more strategic buyers come in at multi-billion scale.

* Snapchat is 1/3rd market cap of Tesla

* Tesla can be purchased with under the couch money from several of the mega caps either US or Chinese based

* MobilEye set the minimum software floor for Tesla at 15 Billion

This is still a buying opportunity for institutions with bigger pockets than us retail bums.

I agree, but also goes to show that simple long-term strategies can produce superior results.

Sometimes investors overanalyze details (e.g. bears focusing on monthly Model S/X deliveries) and sabotage long-term performance.

In that case buy the s&p index.
I would dare guess Ron barons performance over time does not exceed that of the index.
The point being that this "sophisticated " investor , sounds like a salesman.
If I rate the intelligence and knowledge about stock market and especially regarding Tesla, Ron Baron gets 8 out of 10. Chanos gets 1 out of 10. They are not on the same level.

Chanos is smart when it comes to financial analysis, though he has no
Vision which is the driving force in this situation.

• Disagree
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
376.87 is ATH. Lets see if we can break that today. Amazing that we are where we are just two trading days after some people were calling that doomsday is upon us.

Just remember, someone may decide to throw doomsday on you again this week.

If you are over-leveraged, this is a good time to take a little off the table.

If it snowballs into a discussion where people here with meaningful positions start posting their margin call SP levels, that can be useful information for shorts who manipulate the stock. Just my two cents.

I can tell you that they have asked me for this information in comments to my SeekingAlpha articles.

I still don't see how this can be used against you. In your poker table analogy, the stock market is a BFT (a big f'n table). If I approach this BFT declaring I want to sell at $380to use as down payment for my house, will the shorts then try to manipulate the market so I, a mere minnow in the ocean that is the BFT, gets denied my dreams?

George Clooney tried it once thinking it could save his life!

Can we camp out a $370 for a while? It will be fun. We can tell stories, roast shorts, recite bad poetry, and have s'mores.

Jim, I am good with all of it but the poetry.
NO poetry in the investor threads.

Someone posted a poem Friday AM right before the big drop. So, while much of the blame for the drop was algo related I suspect someone has an algo that picks up poetry on this site and all h*ll breaks lose.:rolleyes:;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.