Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to invest about $10K into Tesla - finally got the wife on board, too bad I started trying when it was under 300.

I know no one knows the future, if they did we'd all be rich. I've done the research on valuation but Tesla is well known for being polarizing (especially to the short sellers) and even Musk says it's grossly overvalued. Many investors obviously think differently.

But if I buy tomorrow it will be around 377 at opening. Do you think scooping it up at that price is a bad idea, and do you think it's likely due for a correction in the near future? Seems awfully high based upon various target valuations. Stocks are always a gamble, but I figured this group has a bit more insight into Tesla because they have skin the game so I was looking for thoughts.

It's going to depend on how much that $10k you can risk on speculation and how much you can stomach volatility. It also depends on how much $10k represents for your total investable assets.

If I was not in TSLA already, I would definitely get in with as much as I could afford to risk.

Gotta be in it to win it.

I think Musk is a good guy and he meant well and was being humble when he was discussing valuations. That shouldn't be used against him.

Reactions: madodel
Looking to invest about $10K into Tesla - finally got the wife on board, too bad I started trying when it was under 300.

I know no one knows the future, if they did we'd all be rich. I've done the research on valuation but Tesla is well known for being polarizing (especially to the short sellers) and even Musk says it's grossly overvalued. Many investors obviously think differently.

But if I buy tomorrow it will be around 377 at opening. Do you think scooping it up at that price is a bad idea, and do you think it's likely due for a correction in the near future? Seems awfully high based upon various target valuations. Stocks are always a gamble, but I figured this group has a bit more insight into Tesla because they have skin the game so I was looking for thoughts.

Assuming you can stomach serious losses, i would sell some puts at around 350 USD, buy after opening some 8 shares, wait for dips and buy another 8 at around 360.

• Disagree
Reactions: MitchJi

Don't buy at open. Wait until at least 1pm eastern and get a feel for the trend for the day.

Don't buy all in at once, average in over at least 2, probably 3 buys.

With max pain so low on Friday and this being the "regular" options week, save some to buy near Friday at close. The odds of the price being lower than compared to now are quite high.

Lastly and most importantly, once you buy don't ever panic and sell unless something specific happens fundamentally that changes your mind on the stock. Otherwise hold through the ups and downs and eventually you will find that your investment has increased.

Don't buy at open. Wait until at least 1pm eastern and get a feel for the trend for the day.

Don't buy all in at once, average in over at least 2, probably 3 buys.

With max pain so low on Friday and this being the "regular" options week, save some to buy near Friday at close. The odds of the price being lower than compared to now are quite high.

Lastly and most importantly, once you buy don't ever panic and sell unless something specific happens fundamentally that changes your mind on the stock. Otherwise hold through the ups and downs and eventually you will find that your investment has increased.

Thanks for the solid advice.

Tesla is definitely a buy and hold stock for me. I assume it will be a bumpy ride along the way.

**On a side note, yes I know my investing knowledge is basically nil (last work with trading stocks was $1000 of Biomet and Exxon when I was 16), but I believe in Tesla as a company so I want to get in as early as possible and then learn all I can from there. Basically the opposite of how you really should do it.

Seems that some good advice was given already. One add: don't leverage too much as it can amplify counterproductive emotional swings.

FWIW, I'm a very long-term investor, and this is a company with very good long-term prospects, so I'm less price sensitive than you seem to be.

One correction though: Other than (likely flawed) Guardian article, Elon Musk does not say the stock is grossly overvalued.

Indeed, he has even recently implied the opposite on Twitter.

Last edited:
GS really has become a contrarian indicator, eh?
You want a contrarian indicator?

A tesla bear on sleezekinky alfalfa, yesterday , whom on 2-3 occasions told me he had "_*zero*_" equity short or long, wished that _*all*_ tesla owners and drivers would crash their tesla's, (implying pain injury or death).
It took me multiple reports to get the post deleted, literally hours, that's an indication of the level of how ROFWSIG they are at, with no "poking the bear", other than a mild comment about "up 100+% in 6 months" and saying they are free to join the longs.
Sheesh, buncha ungrateful non shorts, trying to help.....drop a low denomination coin in their alms box and they want to gut you
(I love the A/D line)

Status
Not open for further replies.