Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we shouldn't talk of a short squeeze before Tesla takes +50% or more in a month.

Everytime Tesla takes +5% people talk about the start of the short squeeze, and then we get 2 red days. :D

I would go one step further. How about we drop the whole 'short squeeze' is going to happen discussion. The one that happened in 2013 is unlikely to be repeated and was 3+ years ago. ;)

Out-innovate? Based on what by 2020-2025 when everybody will be offering long-range EVs and (charging) infrastructure will be there in all important car markets?
Same old, same old...
This long list of Tesla "projects" shows a severe lack of focus (especially the upcoming truck and the huge bailout of SCTY...just my opinion).

Well, we disagree there.

Can you comment on the rest of my post as well :
- not enough batteries for competitors to take relevant revenue away from Tesla, even in case they would have a competing product.
- BEV demand growing faster than Tesla plus all possible competitors can ramp up BEV production

Since this is the thread where we discuss the actual movement of the actual stock, well, TSLA is generally on an upswing right now as anticipation for the semi builds, and reviews of the Model 3 come out. Only thing hurting the stock is macro factors, like the war of the loudmouths going on between Washington DC and Pyongyang. Happy to see it at $365 right now, only $20 below ATH.

Now, to the people describing the horrible future that Tesla faces -

1) How did the rest of the industry allow Tesla to become the industry leader? The Model S was shown in 2009 and was on sale in 2012... and five years after deliveries began, Tesla is still eating the lunch of the major manufacturers. Check this out from today - Mercedes-Benz gets reality check from Tesla owners after asking fans if they want electric cars

2) Tesla has the biggest factory, and is the world's largest consumer of batteries. I find it odd that the company with the biggest factory is under some sort of threat from other manufacturers that all have smaller factories right now.

3) The rest of the industry is struggling to get to where Tesla is now. Audi's R8 E-Tron is the poster child for this. Each time they tried to put it out, they realised it was either *sugar*, or a money-loser. Tesla has the fastest acceleration and longest range. Their mission is not to have the most luxurious interiors, or the best handling on the track - it's to replace ICE road cars, and buyers are still lining up for their product. We just found out that Nissan, who has arguably had the best chance at putting out a car with 200+ miles of range, is, after 5 years' chance to develop a custom platform, going to put out a car with like 170 miles of range that still looks like an econo-bucket. The Chevy Bolt EV is built for Chevy by LG who will undoubtedly be learning from their tech and introducing it to others.

4) Where is Tesla going to be in 2020? Looking back, 2014 is when they introduced the P85D with 3.2-sec 0-60, incredible traction and extra range due to dual motors, and first Autopilot hardware. 3 years from now it's reasonable to expect the Model 3 to be the IBM of electric cars, self-driving Tesla Network to be operational and making money for owners, Model Y to be recently out, semi truck to be gaining hold in the marketplace, as well as an electric pickup truck probably being readied for launch - size unknown but expected to be popular. Multiple battery factories and/or assembly facilities under construction. And Tesla continuing to thrive without paying for any advertising.

So, Tesla has "first mover advantage." There's nothing wrong with that! Standard Oil enjoyed it for decades. (LOL) IBM enjoyed it for decades. Netflix confounds the critics by staying in front and continually growing despite their product ostensibly being a commodity that anyone can provide. Amazon continue to grow and rivals have had years to emulate, but still can't crack it. Apple put some cool technologies together into the same device and created the modern smartphone. Each one of these companies created their market and were able to dominate it. You're saying that, sure, Tesla created the electric car market, but they can't and won't continue to dominate it. I say you're not providing compelling evidence they won't continue to dominate. Someone else has to catch up and pass them by - no small feat. There is continual over-respect for conventional auto manufacturers. They're obsessed with chasing the money and thinking in the short term. Look what happened in mid-2008 when high gas prices caught them off-guard... there weren't enough small cars on the market, everyone was producing gas-guzzling SUVs. They're still in love with ICE vehicles and their lucrative maintenance, and spending billions on advertising and marketing to sell crappy cars. Do you really think they have the brains and drive to lead the market and climb past Tesla, whose publicised position is to always take the long-term, first-principles approach?

1) Quite simply, Tesla should have failed and everyone expected them to fail even after they succeeded to bring the Model S to market. Even Tesla didnt expect to sell much more then 20k per year originally. First mover is fine and all, but many first movers fail. The thing I think that makes Tesla more amazing is that they are able to adjust very quickly. Model S for example going from 20k/Y to more then 50k/Year. Model X was not supposed to happen either, and in many ways it was a mistake, but having survived that, they now have a product that has the potential to surpass the Model S and I believe, owning both, that it already does in terms of being a better vehicle. Watch what happens now that prices have come down a bit on the X.

2-3) I think the biggest issue the rest of the industry has is legacy management and legacy systems and legacy employee issues. Where you have managers that wont execute a different plan because they are stubborn, they have to much invested in engines and transmissions to just dump them and they have major issues with legacy employees and unions. Tesla was very smart to avoid pensions and unions thus far with stock options. I think for legacy manufactures to succeed, they need to start new businesses and fund them away from their existing company and then just license and partner with them for all things not related to the EV drive trains and required tech. Legacy manufactures can build a ton cars, but they have to know what to build and it takes 6 years to go from nothing something that is running smoothly in production. If they havnt started by now, they are done. Not to mention that it will be hard to source batteries that are inexpensive enough to compete. Tesla will always have a 20-30% edge in pricing even though they work with partners like Panasonic and now Samsung. Dont forget they have to give those companies some margins, but its not enough to offset what others will pay for someone to supply them batteries as size and scale matter. Its a chicken and egg problem in that you need to the demand to justify the expense to build the batter factories. Tesla broke the rues and built the factory before it really had the demand. Good thing they did because they had to pull it forward 18 months, that would have been even more impossible if they had not started already.

4) Id like to think I know, but I am guessing there will be some surprises, in a good way. I am more interested to see if the competition can react in any meaningful way by then. My guess is that they cannot and they are just now realizing they need to. MB clearly did not know until just the other day when they found out on Twitter. Which should be shocking and sad for MB stock holders, but was not shocking to anyone on this forum not name @mmd and @myusername.

The rest of your post is to long to read but I will leave with this.. Tesla is not succeeding because they are making BEVs instead of ICE. They are succeeding because they are making better cars, period. One year ago I was not an EV guy and now I have 2 and Solar being installed. The math is just simply undeniable at this point and the cars are just better. Tesla owned the EV crowed and now they are making serious inroads into the much bigger market of people who just want the best quality and value for their money. That time is now and Tesla really dragged the world kicking and screaming to this point and they will reap the benefits along with their stock holders.

Yes. Buying relatively in the money bull call spreads that expire in sept. If tesla goes down further - will buy to close the higher strike price at a gain. If it goes up - will ride out into tesla semi event. Lots of optionality and can make money if tesla goes up, sideways, or down - just have to monitor and trade it right.

Reactions: cranker2k
Well, we disagree there.

Can you comment on the rest of my post as well :
- not enough batteries for competitors to take relevant revenue away from Tesla, even in case they would have a competing product.
- BEV demand growing faster than Tesla plus all possible competitors can ramp up BEV production
Tftf is a useless shill, if he responds at all it will be goal post moving, strawman filled nonsense.
You shouldn't waste your time.

Keep in mind, I occasionally defend the posts of mmd, username, etc. So I'm not just dumping on shorts.

Tftf is a paid fudster and nothing more,. Arguing with him is what he wants.

Given the high yield market backed up this week as part of the risk off trade, I think this sounds about right and would agree that this is somewhat aggressive given Tesla's rating.

Have you heard any guesstimate as to when it will be priced? The sooner the better in these volatile markets.

surfside

Order books are closing 4pm today on east coast. West Coast apparently gets till 11am (assume EST) tomorrow.

"pricing thereafter" is the word. I assume that means the pricing comes out by market open tomorrow.

Add: Yeah, it's a bummer. High Yield market moved down about 50bps in yield terms over just a week or so. Oh well...

Last edited:
Camp out at $370?

This is pretty funny, but now that Tesla is able to raise non-dilutive debt capital, I would encourage you to reconsider your 7% annual dilution assumption, which is significantly impacting the output of your model...
Mostly I agree with you:
Among the manufacturers promising many BEV's each:
BMW- although with famously public internal debates they're proceeding with everything from a Rolls-Royce to Mini. How many will hit the market in 2020 MY is another question but that is just ramped timing, not intent;
VW Group- everything from Bentley to something equivalent to UP! They're certainly showing firm plans but there's a lot of question bout their potential success;
Mercedes-Benz- everything from Maybach to the forthcoming all-electric Smart offerings. Their resolve is pretty firm, and included OTR Trucks too, probably one or more of their US brands and certainly European;
Nissan/Renault- at the moment they have the broadest range of offerings, thanks to Renault small urban vehicles. We have ideas but no firm proof of long range upscale products nor long range commercial vehicles;
Hyundai- hedging their bets but certainly will offer multiple power options in several vehicle lines including of course Ioniq;
Cummins: Say they have a LR Battery-power offering coming. No details, but they know they must!;
FCA- 'over my dead body' Marchionne has declared the future is BEV, from Ferrari to Mobi. We have zero clues how they'll do it. With Brazil their largest worldwide market, well above Italy, they will electrify there. As for Chrysler apart from the Pacifica we really have little clear outlook. The next six months will certainly yield much clearer outlook, but the major short term emphasis will certainly be to save Europe sales.
PSA- Just as clear as FCA. Stuck with aging Opel plus their own we can anticipate some entertaining partnerships.
Other "Europeans"- Both JLR and Volvo are moving to make multiple BEV offerings, with scant firm details but lots of promise. Use of quotes because they are respectively Tata (Indian) and Geely (Chinese)

The US and other Japanese builders are less clear about their early plans except for GM extending Bolt architecture to other brands and Toyota implying that they're going to be aggressive with BEV's.

As we all know there are two huge impediments, 1. Battery supply and 2. charging infrastructure. Those two are now the major ones because the technical progress is rapid enough to remove deal-breakers in terms of energy efficiency and battery cost. All indications are that battery supply will be is fair supply by 2020. Charging infrastrure is rapidly improving in most parts of the industrial world but much of the seeming availability is limited by inadequate chargers per location and the everlasting standards/billing issues. My personal view is that we'll see very rapid charging system development and deployment almost everywhere during the next decade. By 2025 We'll be able to BEV from Ushuaia-Barrow and Paris-Peking although political risk will make such trips rarely taken.

Thinking globally there is scant BEV or charging in several major auto markets: Southern Cone- in aggregate about the seventh largest global market- Basically zero today; Middle East- tiny bits such as Jordan and UAE as well as coming in Turkey. Almost nothing elsewhere and non-testa. Iran,Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Oman, Israel, Kuwait are already robust auto markets, with Iraq and Syria questions too, despite obvious issues. Five years from now all those will be big issues.
Eastern Europe- high demand, decent environments, mostly, but minimal BEV charging infrastructure except for Tesla being committed to supporting tourist travel.

As a note there are three global manufacturers who are in a horrible position: FCA, PSA and Ford. What happens with those? In the next class is GM, magically ahead of the others because of Volt/Bolt and some history, but, little serious market commitment given their size.

I haven't mentioned the Chinese. It is no accident that MB, BMW, Tesla and others are keenly attentive to China market potential for both supplies and sales. GM ought to be well-positioned but... BYD will be a global force, and they have historically had a commercial vehicle focus and have cleverly provided a true-key charging and maintenance offering in almost every market they enter. Their commercial marketing approach is now being emulated by Tesla and MB are obviously attentive. Tesla semi and other forthcoming commercial vehicles will almost certainly be offered in this way.

I recognize that this little polemic may be seen as premature, and it is certainly superficial. However, with Model 3 and the onslaught of major product offerings the absolute need to tackle infrastructure in all these places and more is unquestionable.

Our TSLA investment outlook should begin to consider these and other issues now. The revolution is happening. BEV's are now where the entire motor vehicle market was around 1910. Will Tesla be Ford or will it be Baker?

Thank you for this very informative post.

Do you expect Tesla to open up its Supercharger network? Looking from a mission statement point of view, this would make sense, as it would accelerate the world's transition to renewable energy. At the same time, however, it would crowd the Supercharger network that is already frustrating some Tesla owners. It is not clear to me at this time which of the following two options would allow Tesla to accomplish its mission quicker:
  1. Allow other car manufacturers access to its Supercharger network, eliminating one of their constraints for fully committing to an all-electric future.
  2. Keep Supercharger network exclusive to Tesla owners and ramp production as quickly as possible.

Reactions: T3SLA3 and everman

Do you expect Tesla to open up its Supercharger network? Looking from a mission statement point of view, this would make sense, as it would accelerate the world's transition to renewable energy. At the same time, however, it would crowd the Supercharger network that is already frustrating some Tesla owners. It is not clear to me at this time which of the following two options would allow Tesla to accomplish its mission quicker:
  1. Allow other car manufacturers access to its Supercharger network, eliminating one of their constraints for fully committing to an all-electric future.
  2. Keep Supercharger network exclusive to Tesla owners and ramp production as quickly as possible.
I'm glad you liked it.

Tesla has said they'll allow others to use Superchargers. However,

Inherent with the standards of CharIN is the famous HomePlug standard, that provides for universal access for any entity that maintains the established standard. What that was all about was allowing financial institutions, charging networks, auto owner groups, manufacturers, charging station owners or anybody else involved to provide for payment based on anything they might care to do. So,
Manufacturers could provide 100% free to all buyers for a given time, or forever or in specific places;
Banks could provide financing or payment processing to their customers;
Car dealers could provide free or paid charging,
and so on.

Few non-CharIN enthusiasts even understand just what that could mean. ChargePoint did, they're a full member. Tesla does, they're a full member.
The point: There is no problem dealing with full CharIN current standard locations on any way one wishes.
The impediment: As I have learned, some people who have sponsored networks that include CCS has zero clue about this. Both equipment providers and network sponsors often allow for a handful of traditional standard ways to pay (e.g. MC, Visa, Amex, Discover) and nothing more.

In Supercharger the car itself maintains the authentication with the Supercharger. Easy to do for Tesla but not so easy if you're a third party and need to set up payment. Also, as at least one person has shown it is possible to install valid Tesla credential in a non-Tesla vehicle and get free charging. Supercharger offerings to other manufacturers will require changes in Supercharger authorization processes. These might be substantial efforts.

My guess is that Tesla will be independent for the foreseeable future, but when a new generation of ultra-fast charging (whatever that will be) happens it will also carry CharIN standard payment protocols. FWIW, Tesla vehicles are already capable of dealing with CharIN payment protocols, according to JB, and probably were soon after the standard was published.

If you wan references for all that and more I'll supply them.
CharIN has all the standards for easy access. The part I discussed here is ONLY referring to authorization/payment for a charging session.

I can't help but notice the "competition" arrival keeps getting pushed back. First it was 2019/2020. Now 2025?? :rolleyes:
Did you not catch the news on one potential competition? I heard they are working on the following:
  • a small SUV with 200+ miles range and potentially cheaper than the M3 to build
  • 3+ factories around the world comparable with Tesla's GF (unlike Diamler's baby GF)
  • Semi truck with autonomous driving
  • Rooftop solar that will beat the pants off of what's currently on Elon's roof
  • Battery storage, scale is big enough that it looks like they may have a deal that could lock up Samsung's new 2170 cell supply until 2021
Tesla should be very scared.

This is pretty funny, but now that Tesla is able to raise non-dilutive debt capital, I would encourage you to reconsider your 7% annual dilution assumption, which is significantly impacting the output of your model...

If they allow other manufacturers access to the supercharger network, the other manufacturers would have to pay. Tesla could use these funds to accelerate the network expansion even more.

Did you not catch the news on one potential competition? I heard they are working on the following:
  • a small SUV with 200+ miles range and potentially cheaper than the M3 to build
  • 3+ factories around the world comparable with Tesla's GF (unlike Diamler's baby GF)
  • Battery storage, scale is big enough that it looks like they may have a deal that could lock up Samsung's new 2170 cell supply until 2021
So many "Tesla Killers." I can't keep up!!! o_O;)

I said "chargers that that charge VEHICLES that top out at 50kW." It doesn't matter if the chargers are 150kW if the vehicles can only handle 50kW.

Do you think these 150kW+ chargers for both CCS and Chademo will just be installed for fun?

It's clear that most new EVs (especially all long-range EVs with larger batteries) coming in 2018-2020 and beyond will support these higher kW numbers.

Many car makers have already said so when talking about their upcoming EVs. Some will even go further (for example Porsche with 350+ kW for its EVs):

electrive.com » World Premiere: 800 Volt charge park by Porsche in Berlin

That part is so obvious I didn't even discuss it.

Last edited:
So many "Tesla Killers." I can't keep up!!! o_O;)

Tesla should be scared of itself (and primarily its current CEO) because it has no focus on a few core products and execution.

All the projects listed above your answer will involve huge amounts of cap-ex - and continued fresh sources of outside capital.

One upcoming market downturn or recession and...

a) access to fresh capital will dry up (this can happen very quickly)

b) demand for high-end cars like the S and X will shrink (see what happened back in 2008)

That market downturn or recession will come one day. It's just a matter of when.

Let's wait and see how a leveraged car maker like Tesla will do in such a market environment...

(Bye)

Last edited:
Do you think these 150kW+ chargers for both CCS and Chademo will just be installed for fun?

It's quite obvious that most new EVs (especially all long-range EVs with larger batteries) coming in 2018-2020 and beyond will support these higher kW numbers...

That part was so obvious I didn't even discuss it.
Is it obvious?

The physics of Lithium batteries are such that you cannot charge them much faster than 1.3-1.8C without damaging them.

Tesla's existing superchargers are already pushing the limits of what Tesla's cars can do. Everyone else is putting smaller batteries in their cars (which is why they can't charge as fast). Until the others start putting >100kWh batteries in a car, there is no reason to go to 350kW on the charger.

Tftf is a useless shill, if he responds at all it will be goal post moving, strawman filled nonsense.
You shouldn't waste your time.

Keep in mind, I occasionally defend the posts of mmd, username, etc. So I'm not just dumping on shorts.

Tftf is a paid fudster and nothing more,. Arguing with him is what he wants.
Monty Python pretty much nailed the trollscape social media would become, long before there was social media.

This is awesome! :D:D:D Sorry - but I'm totally stealing your sarcasm for my next article.

Status
Not open for further replies.