Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
perhaps it was Toyota, driving Elon to drink...

Toyota admits ‘Elon Musk is right’ about fuel cell, but moves forward with hydrogen anyway

This kind of stuff is why I consider the other automakers stalling to move to EVs the most underappreciated moat Tesla has. It puts Tesla Auto in position to continue with torrid growth rates for over a decade. I don't see us hitting 50% of the auto market supply being long range EVs until the 2030s. If the Chinese weren't moving to gain from the incumbents avoidance, we probably wouldn't get to 50% until the 2040s. Meanwhile, I see demand tipping to a majority of consumers wanting a long range EV in roughly 5 years time (hence the term and thread, "fractured tipping point moat")

Last edited:
He’s human. He has a sense of humor and is adventurous. And he has to de-stress like the rest of us. Or don’t you think his employees ever have whiskey and make s’mores when they get an opportunity even while simultaneously being in production hell? That’s rhetorical. Of course they do. The difference is that Elon didn’t go home at the end of the workday, he went to the roof of one of his factories to enjoy the view and to partake in some libations with people he works with and who must clearly be on the friend zone.

This is yet another warning (since others have already mentioned it), don’t read too much into the photo or be prepared to be burned. I’ve seen it happen many times on this forum. It makes me scratch my head every time how some can be such slow learners.

I love to see photos like this. This spirit of work hard, play hard, adventurism, etc. makes me
want to invest more. If people don't like it, you can always invest in GM, F, or IBM.

Still see this as more likely a case of trying to dupe people into believing dumb things than "jounalists" thinking dumb things.

Remember, Tesla went so far as to say this publicly about MarketWatch's sister Murdoch publication the WSJ,

"For over a decade, the WSJ has relentlessly attacked Tesla with misleading articles that, with few exceptions, push or exceed the boundaries of journalistic integrity. While it is possible that this article could be an exception, that is extremely unlikely."

Hanlon's razor just doesn't seem applicable when the disruption of a couple of trillion dollar industries is in play.
Could be, and if so, it sounds like a bear trap to me. It will be an easy beat when the math gets correctly applied next Wednesday.;)

Could be, and if so, it sounds like a bear trap to me. It will be an easy beat when the math gets correctly applied next Wednesday.;)

Well, roughly 75% of media coverage of Tesla is a bear trap (or perhaps more accurately, a "low information" market participant trap) so that "computational error" is just a drop in the bucket. fwiw, the amount of lawsuits in this round of nonsense lawsuits seems to have gone up exponentially. I suspect the likes of hedge funds "encourage" the announcement of such suits via wire releases that show up in the news section of mainstream financial websites.

I disagree, I don't think you party like that with your employees and post in on Instagram while you are in the middle of hell. It would look to terrible when you had to fire two of them a week later. From Ashley Vance's book, I get the impression that while things are going poorly, Elon is very busy putting an extreme level of pressure on his employees to make it right. On the other hand, if you feel that you have just made it through production hell, and are now feeling like a "Band of Brothers," getting drunk and singing about it would be appropriate. We will never know, but I would not be surprised if this video was taken the night of the sloth tweet/ sunset tweet, when Elon was on the roof of the Gigafactory. He might have been sitting on the video until the batteries aged, tested, got assembled into packs, and were on their way to Fremont. I think we are going to get good news on the Model 3 at the earning call.

We got a pretty definitive answer on that one with a new tweet:

“Btw, just want to express a word of appreciation for the hard work of the Tesla Gigafactory team. Reason I camped on the roof was because it was less time than driving to a hotel room in Reno. Production hell, ~8th circle …”

Yeah, he needs to look up his Dante if he is going to do that. And aren't they concentric with 8th being the next-to-innermost?

Not that im a scholar, I just looked it up on Wikipedia. Past the 9th is where Satan is held in bondage. Each circle represents what sins people are being punished and they get worse and worse as you go, though Fraud does not seem worse then Murder, but who knows. I doubt it means anything other then Elon having a rye sense of humor. He is certainly not afraid to roll up his sleeves and dig into the problems personally. I admire that and I think the fact that he is at the Gigafactory a lot lately that the bottlenecks might be there?

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog
So maybe there was some truth to the 1134 and hell comment. Also get the reference to Elon singing yesterday. Ring of fire!!!!

8th inning. Let’s go. Almost there!!!!!!
The Eight Circle of Hell is resided by the fraudulent. Dante and Virgil reach it on the back of Geryon, a flying monster with different natures, just like the fraudulent. This circle of Hell is divided into 10 Bolgias or stony ditches with bridges between them. In Bolgia 1, Dante sees panderers and seducer. In Bolgia 2 he finds flatterers. After crossing the bridge to Bolgia 3, he and Virgil see those who are guilty of simony. After crossing another bridge between the ditches to Bolgia 4, they find sorcerers and false prophets. In Bolgia 5 are housed corrupt politicians, in Bolgia 6 are hypocrites and in the remaining 4 ditches, Dante finds hypocrites (Bolgia 7), thieves (Bolgia 7), evil counselors and advisers (Bolgia 8), divisive individuals (Bolgia 9) and various falsifiers such as alchemists, perjurers and counterfeits (Bolgia 10).

Sounds like wsj and union nonsense and lawsuits.

Not that im a scholar, I just looked it up on Wikipedia. Past the 9th is where Satan is held in bondage. Each circle represents what sins people are being punished and they get worse and worse as you go, though Fraud does not seem worse then Murder, but who knows. I doubt it means anything other then Elon having a rye sense of humor. He is certainly not afraid to roll up his sleeves and dig into the problems personally. I admire that and I think the fact that he is at the Gigafactory a lot lately that the bottlenecks might be there?
Your analysis needs s'more I think. BTW, how do you know what brand he partakes? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV
The Eight Circle of Hell is resided by the fraudulent. Dante and Virgil reach it on the back of Geryon, a flying monster with different natures, just like the fraudulent. This circle of Hell is divided into 10 Bolgias or stony ditches with bridges between them. In Bolgia 1, Dante sees panderers and seducer. In Bolgia 2 he finds flatterers. After crossing the bridge to Bolgia 3, he and Virgil see those who are guilty of simony. After crossing another bridge between the ditches to Bolgia 4, they find sorcerers and false prophets. In Bolgia 5 are housed corrupt politicians, in Bolgia 6 are hypocrites and in the remaining 4 ditches, Dante finds hypocrites (Bolgia 7), thieves (Bolgia 7), evil counselors and advisers (Bolgia 8), divisive individuals (Bolgia 9) and various falsifiers such as alchemists, perjurers and counterfeits (Bolgia 10).

Sounds like wsj and union nonsense and lawsuits.
All of these concepts are alien to me. Promise ;)

Aaaaand Elon turns the market action thread into ad-hoc Dante analysis thread :)

I BET he doesn't know all that. The common expression, in my experience, is you say you are in the 9th circle of hell, meaning the worst kind, even if that doesn't make sense based on the book. So he adjusts it up one level. Could be nothing, could be frankly bearish indicator.

Aaaaand Elon turns the market action thread into ad-hoc Dante analysis thread :)

I BET he doesn't know all that. The common expression, in my experience, is you say you are in the 9th circle of hell, meaning the worst kind, even if that doesn't make sense based on the book. So he adjusts it up one level. Could be nothing, could be frankly bearish indicator.

OK, what caused the Dante reference on this thread ... anything missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.