Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 MCU1, HW2 FSD - should I see anything yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone help me out with a quick baseline check? I have FSD on my MCU1, HW2 Model S. I upgraded from EAP (the enhanced autopilot they once offered) to FSD earlier this year, but there has not been a single change in functionality. I already had NOP, auto parking etc, (simple) summon... But, for example, I have none of the stop light recognition features that I know plenty of people already have - but they are all in Model 3’s.

Are others getting “FSD-type” functionality in their Model S’? (I am excluding any omen on the FSD beta I guess). Am I limited by my HW2 gear?

Tks in advance.

you need to schedule an upgrade to HW3, which is included in the price you paid for FSD. You should get stop light detection with that. But thats all you get. MCU1/FSD is pretty much a scam
Correct. I purchased a 2017 model s from Tesla. Had AP2.5 and had them do the included FSD update. It only added stop light and sign recognition and stopping. It will probably gain more with future software updates. I do know MCU1 doesn’t have all the visuals that MCU2 does. That will set you back 2.5k or 3k if you want radio

Correct. I purchased a 2017 model s from Tesla. Had AP2.5 and had them do the included FSD update. It only added stop light and sign recognition and stopping. It will probably gain more with future software updates. I do know MCU1 doesn’t have all the visuals that MCU2 does. That will set you back 2.5k or 3k if you want radio

Thanks both.

FYI..once you get HW3 installed, expect to experience some level of MCU1 performance degradation(like many have posted about) due to additional load/strain on the MCU1. Important to keep in mind that MCU1 has a processor from the 2010 era and was designed to work with AP1.

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus
FYI..once you get HW3 installed, expect to experience some level of MCU1 performance degradation(like many have posted about) due to additional load/strain on the MCU1. Important to keep in mind that MCU1 has a processor from the 2010 era and was designed to work with AP1.
Maybe I am lucky but I actually haven’t noticed worsening of my MCU1. It’s been about 2 months now. Maybe over time it will get worse but for now I don’t really have a huge incentive to drop 2.5K. I know at some point I will upgrade to MCU2 but I am not in as quick of a rush as I thought I would be reading the forums.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Maybe I am lucky but I actually haven’t noticed worsening of my MCU1. It’s been about 2 months now. Maybe over time it will get worse but for now I don’t really have a huge incentive to drop 2.5K. I know at some point I will upgrade to MCU2 but I am not in as quick of a rush as I thought I would be reading the forums.

If you have FSD, wait. I doubt Instrument Cluster 1 will be able to keep pace with the final software, and they will probably have to replace them for FSD owners. Might be another year, but it seems likely. Since MCU's and IC's are linked, one would follow the other.

My MCU1/AP3 (Updgraded from AP2.0) stops at stop signs and lights. It also tries to stop at random signs on my daily drive to work. (12 miles single lane road) Lol. My car is not "learning."

The other thing you get is DashCam but that just stopped working for me with the latest update.

My MCU1/AP3 (Updgraded from AP2.0) stops at stop signs and lights. It also tries to stop at random signs on my daily drive to work. (12 miles single lane road) Lol. My car is not "learning."

The other thing you get is DashCam but that just stopped working for me with the latest update.

The stop light thing is actually pretty dangerous I've noticed. My car will slam on the breaks if it approaches a flashing yellow or left turn signal that has no bearing on the straight ahead.

Thanks everyone. As it happens, I had to book my car in this week to have the rear glass replaced (surfboard strap buckle got caught at the top of the lip while closing...ugh). Anyway, a day or two after confirming the appointment I got an email setting out some some parts that had been ordered. I expected to see a new pane of glass but in fact it is AP3 hardware. Will see what kind of MCU performance I get...