TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2017 Missouri legislative session

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by STLEV, Aug 8, 2017.

1. STLEV

STLEV New Member

I was reading through some of the bills passed by the Missouri Legislature this year and found SB 329. It changes several aspects of Missouri's franchise dealer laws.

The law prohibits a franchisor from selling motor vehicles to retail customers, but doesn't say anything about a manufacturer that doesn't have franchisees selling retail vehicles.

I guess this is where the lawyers get involved.

Here is the full text of the bill

http://www.senate.mo.gov/17info/pdf-bill/intro/SB329.pdf

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the definition of "franchisor" which isn't in the linked bill so must be in the law it amends. One state, I don't remember if it was Missouri or not, defined "franchisor" to include all auto manufacturers, regardless of whether they had any franchisees. So by definition Tesla would be deemed a franchisor even if it never had franchisees and doesn't want to have any franchisees. Don't underestimate the sneakiness of the auto dealer cartel.

3. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

@TexasEV I think that was the NJ bill that was passed "after hours" then later repealed. I didn't think a bill could redefine a word, but there you go.