TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2017 Model 3 Reliability

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by jdcollins5, Sep 3, 2018.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

For those that received some of the first Model 3’s, how are your cars holding up from a reliability stand point? Water leaks, noise, rattles, functionality, battery degradation, etc.

Does the car still meet your initial expectations? Are you still as much in awe of it today as the day you received it?

I just placed my order so was interested to hear from the more experienced owners.

• Like x 1
  2. roblab

roblab Active Member

Got ours in Jan, 8000 miles just turning up. No issues. It's still a new car. Since Teslas don't have gas engines or multi-geared transmissions, no exhaust or cooling systems, nearly all troubles simply don't exist. You mention things like water leaks: none. Noise? Well the tires are still running on the road... on smooth highway, the quiet is amazing. Rattles? Even bumpy roads, no. Battery degradation? Batteries are guaranteed for eight years, suspected life of fifteen, and degradation occurs mostly in first year (+/- 10%), tapering off to a near flat "curve" from there according to Tesla testing (who have been doing exhaustive testing for years), so it's expected. Functionally, it's pretty stiff handling, much more than the S. Size wise, it's probably more what people are used to: The S is big, but I like it. Nearing 80,000 miles on the S in 3 years. No repairs, and even better, NO scheduled maintenance. In six years of owning Tesla I have not been in for service. There is none. Tell me how that works on a BMW.

I've been in "awe" for six years. Tesla is like no other car. It always beats initial expectations and never lets up.

• Like x 6
    • Love x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

Thank you for your feedback. That is exactly what I wanted to hear!

4. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

You’re really on your first drive unit and door handles on a 2012 Model S with 80k miles?
    Your experience is certainly not average.

• Like x 1
  5. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Seriously. That’s one reliable S.

My 2015 Model S with 74,000 miles has had a new drive unit, an MCU, and three door handles. And two days ago it stopped supercharging, which now suggests a dead charger.

• Informative x 1
  6. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

@roblab at lease tell me you had tires replaced?

:)

• Funny x 2
  7. preilly44

preilly44 Member

6k miles on mine and it is amazing!

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

Thanks and glad to hear!

9. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

I thought that DC was pass-thru, that AC is what used the onboard charging gear? Or is there a DC-to-DC circuit in there, that the SC doesn't provide the raw native voltage that the battery takes so the car's battery management system still needs to convert it somehow?

10. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

13,500 miles on my 2017 that I picked up first week of Jan (alcantara headliner FTW!). I still love driving her every day! - puts a grin on my face every time!

Mine hasn’t been issue free - it had a charge port door fail, some AC smell going on, and a few small rattles and some wind noise. Tesla also proactively replaced a suspension part and my window regulators during my first annual service. The AC smell has been the most annoying - the latest firmware apparently has a fix according to the service center, but the smell lingers, so I will have to bring it back in again at some point for a more in-depth treatment. I had the same problem with my S (and every loaner I had), it appears to be something Tesla hasn’t quite figured out for the non-biohazard filter cars.

11. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Glad to hear that you have not even had a drive unit replacement on your S.

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

Glad to hear you still love driving it every day!

The Prius also had issues with AC smells. The work-around was to turn off the AC prior to getting out and let the cooling coils warm up to prevent condensation sitting in the air ducts. I have been doing this and I do not have issues with smells.

13. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

10,000 and still very happy.

14. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

Glad to hear!

15. Az_Rael

Since the Model 3 turns on the AC on its own to cool the battery when it is parked, this is very difficult to control manually. See page 93 of the user manual that is available online - even if you turn AC off the car will turn it back on for the battery.

The cabin overheat update supposedly added some logic to help dry the system out and maybe that will be enough for new owners. I suspect my mildew colony is already established so will take more effort to get rid of.

• Like x 1
  16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

Good point. I forgot about the battery cooling and heating feature.

17. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I'm not entirely sure but I believe that the onboard charger must recognize that DC-to-DC charging is occurring and activate some sort of relay that bypasses itself somehow and this is what's failing.

18. MuleTrainBill

MuleTrainBill Member

Live in Arizona and you won't have to worry about that.;)

19. MuleTrainBill

MuleTrainBill Member

AC smell that is.

20. Az_Rael

Weirdly, I do live in the Mojave desert here in CA. Thought I would never have the problem since it is so dry. But even when the car has been sitting out in 115 degree heat for 9 hours, it doesn't dry out the system.