Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S 100D 28,000 MINT $57,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does Tesla know the car is sold? Can previous owner just give the Tesla account to the new owner?

And what happens when you need warranty work? Pretend to be the previous owner? And if you take over someone's account, it will have their name. Is it really worth all that hassle for the $300-700 a year free suoerchargimg saves you (on a $57,000 car)? I guess if you don't have a way to charge at home, or you travel extensively, it might be worth it. But, it will be a pain.

4AA45B10-6300-4A71-BCD5-F6742A26305A.jpeg
2BA9265F-3521-4A9E-B667-6181D7560760.jpeg
2BA9265F-3521-4A9E-B667-6181D7560760.jpeg
4AA45B10-6300-4A71-BCD5-F6742A26305A.jpeg
2145AC84-4783-4857-804E-DA9C1A558BAE.jpeg

Attachments

• 864AE83E-CFFA-4B3E-88CB-58C256F85B84.jpeg
    864AE83E-CFFA-4B3E-88CB-58C256F85B84.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 151F25D0-C58B-4A58-AD91-331CB4ACDF2C.jpeg
    151F25D0-C58B-4A58-AD91-331CB4ACDF2C.jpeg
    683.9 KB · Views: 53
  • AB53B10E-01FF-4A58-AE28-5A9A06F47E55.jpeg
    AB53B10E-01FF-4A58-AE28-5A9A06F47E55.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 58
  • C2AACE92-0DB4-4111-8C5E-045329060930.jpeg
    C2AACE92-0DB4-4111-8C5E-045329060930.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 70
  • D124E243-D4B2-44E4-AE3D-415B8CA80307.jpeg
    D124E243-D4B2-44E4-AE3D-415B8CA80307.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 01ED2CC5-D480-4F53-BDD8-889E0571ECB9.jpeg
    01ED2CC5-D480-4F53-BDD8-889E0571ECB9.jpeg
    637.5 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: ElectricIAC
C Originally I had to pay to supercharge which is peanuts in cost compared to gas even at todays prices

Absolutely untrue.

Tesla charges $0.28 per kWh. I believe Model S cars average about 0.32-0.35kWh/mi, so that comes to about 9-10 cents a mile.

A regular car gets _at least_ 30mpg today, with gas prices of about $2/gallon, comes to 6.5 cents a mile. Even if you buy premium gas, that's still about 9 cents a mile.

If you have a halfway fuel efficient car today, filling up your tank is significantly cheaper than supercharging a Model S.

Even if you're thinking about fuel inefficient premium cars - I drove 9 hours in a Porsche Panamera Turbo yesterday and averaged 28mpg. So even in the very worst case scenario, supercharging is only slightly cheaper than gas, and in the vast majority of situations/cars it's more expensive. In either case it's very very far from being 'peanuts'.

Absolutely untrue.

Tesla charges $0.28 per kWh. I believe Model S cars average about 0.32-0.35kWh/mi, so that comes to about 9-10 cents a mile.

A regular car gets _at least_ 30mpg today, with gas prices of about $2/gallon, comes to 6.5 cents a mile. Even if you buy premium gas, that's still about 9 cents a mile.

If you have a halfway fuel efficient car today, filling up your tank is significantly cheaper than supercharging a Model S.

Even if you're thinking about fuel inefficient premium cars - I drove 9 hours in a Porsche Panamera Turbo yesterday and averaged 28mpg. So even in the very worst case scenario, supercharging is only slightly cheaper than gas, and in the vast majority of situations/cars it's more expensive. In either case it's very very far from being 'peanuts'.
You sir deserve a medal for this post...People act as if SC'ing is cheap compared to normal fuel rates, which certainly isn't the case. Home charing is really the cheaper route and even that depends on where you live ($.05 per kWh vs some paying north of $0.17 per kWh).

• Love
Absolutely untrue.

The price per kWh varies greatly. If you check various Superchargers in your state, you might be surprised to find how different the prices are. I noticed at the new Superior, CO Supercharger that we visited on Sunday that the rate was $0.28/kWh. If we'd driven a few miles to the Boulder Supercharger, it would've been $0.15/kWh. The Supercharger at Lone Tree is $0.18/kWh but across the street in Centennial, it's $0.26/kWh.

You sir deserve a medal for this post...People act as if SC'ing is cheap compared to normal fuel rates, which certainly isn't the case. Home charging is really the cheaper route and even that depends on where you live ($.05 per kWh vs some paying north of $0.17 per kWh).
Supercharging is pretty cheap for those of us who still have FUSC. I usually charge at home via solar and typically only Supercharge on road trips but have never had to pay to charge any of my Teslas. While visiting with friends at the new Superior Supercharger on Sunday, they reported they've driven over 60,000 miles and never paid for Supercharging.

Most people who are locked in with FUSC paid a lot more for their vehicles. Those who have to pay for Supercharging these days may have to pay but they probably paid a lot less than those of us who get it for "free".

The price per kWh varies greatly. If you check various Superchargers in your state, you might be surprised to find how different the prices are. I noticed at the new Superior, CO Supercharger that we visited on Sunday that the rate was $0.28/kWh. If we'd driven a few miles to the Boulder Supercharger, it would've been $0.15/kWh. The Supercharger at Lone Tree is $0.18/kWh but across the street in Centennial, it's $0.26/kWh.

Supercharging is pretty cheap for those of us who still have FUSC. I usually charge at home via solar and typically only Supercharge on road trips but have never had to pay to charge any of my Teslas. While visiting with friends at the new Superior Supercharger on Sunday, they reported they've driven over 60,000 miles and never paid for Supercharging.

Most people who are locked in with FUSC paid a lot more for their vehicles. Those who have to pay for Supercharging these days may have to pay but they probably paid a lot less than those of us who get it for "free".
Fair point. We ordered our demo X just before SC got stripped across the board so not only did we get a steal on the car but we’ve benefited heavily from the free SC in our travels.

Supercharging is still cheaper than gas plus you get to drive a Tesla versus an ICE. Way better experience and very little to go wrong versus ICE. If you are worried about the cost of supercharging then you are looking at it wrong. Anybody I know who owns one never ever worries about supercharging costs.
Ehh. We are charged by the minute here in DFW.

I only ever SC the P3D on trips or if it’s at a low SOC and only until taper to maximize kWh/$. The X, I don’t worry about that since it’s no addtl charge.

Absolutely untrue.

This is well done but does not match my experience. My 17 MS has averaged 270 wh/mi over 33k miles at .28 per kWh is 7.5 cents. The Porsche (21 epa combined Fuel Economy of the 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo) requires premium at 2.6/gal equal 12.3 cents (9.3 at 28 mpg)

• Funny
I once bought a Mercedes and when I ask about gas mileage, the salesman righty said "If you are worried about the gas mileage then you probably cannot afford the car."
I would have told him to f&@k off. There are lots of reasons to worry about gas mileage. I’m very fortunate and could buy pretty much whatever car I want to (which has included lots of high end BMW’s) and I’ve always considered the gas mileage...always will. That’s an arrogant, douchy thing to say.

This is well done but does not match my experience. My 17 MS has averaged 270 wh/mi over 33k miles at .28 per kWh is 7.5 cents. The Porsche (21 epa combined Fuel Economy of the 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo) requires premium at 2.6/gal equal 12.3 cents (9.3 at 28 mpg)

Well, your mileage may vary of course, with your wh/mi. Different locations, climates, elevations, etc. I averaged about 300 or higher with all my MS's. But even in your case - we're comparing the best case scenario for a Model S versus a gas car that is especially bad with MPG's - the difference is not very much.

Supercharging is absolutely _not_ peanuts compared to buying gas. In the case of a halfway fuel efficient car, it's actually more expensive to supercharge than to buy gas. As your gas car example goes more and more premium and high performance, the costs become equal, and in the worst case scenario supercharging becomes a bit cheaper, but never much cheaper.

• Love
Well, your mileage may vary of course, with your wh/mi. Different locations, climates, elevations, etc. I averaged about 300 or higher with all my MS's. But even in your case - we're comparing the best case scenario for a Model S versus a gas car that is especially bad with MPG's - the difference is not very much.

Supercharging is absolutely _not_ peanuts compared to buying gas. In the case of a halfway fuel efficient car, it's actually more expensive to supercharge than to buy gas. As your gas car example goes more and more premium and high performance, the costs become equal, and in the worst case scenario supercharging becomes a bit cheaper, but never much cheaper.

I think it's fair to compare vehicles that offer a comparable driving experience in terms of performance and acceleration as a basis of relevancy when comparing apples to aardvarks. If I'm considering switching from a Model S P100DL I'm not considering a Smart Car or Kia Rio to replace it.

Comparing a Honda Civic 4cyl to a Model S isn't a comparison in driving experience that anyone who has driven either one would make. I think it's funny that people compare ICE cars by segment like Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Mazda 3 and you never see a Lamborghini in that comparison and yet that car is closer to (but still falls short other than everything but top end #'s) the performance numbers of the Model S in most forms. Even "regular" high performance ICE sedans don't really come close in performance and total driving experience but when people use these to compare overall #'s they get bashed for not choosing a more economical vehicle to compare.

EVs are the ONLY place that happens as ICE cars are always compared by very distinct segments. You don't see a Lambo compared to the most efficient of ICE cars unless it's sarcastically and yet it occurs all the time with cars as if it's acceptable and even expected.

You also conveniently skip the part about Supercharging making up less than 5% of the overall use of the average user. The other 95%+ of the time they charge inexpensively at home or free at work or other locations. I charge at home at a rate about 1/10th the cost of fuel for me personally which is a drastic and noticeable difference especially when you double it for the two cars we drive. We save thousands of dollars annually per car on "fuel" costs alone and we're not high-mile drivers. Pretty average numbers or less in fact. The savings would be much higher for someone who drives more and would pay more for gas and we're not even factoring in other savings from wear and tear parts and maintenance.

So, with a Model S, you basically get a Camry in efficiency and a Lambo by performance other than to-end all in the same package that's whisper quiet and one of the most advanced in terms of tech available. Even if it costs more to power (it doesn't) I'm happy with that exchange.

Saying a Tesla Model S costs more to "fuel" requires ignoring most all of the real world #'s readily available and widely known and is just trying to stir the pot in an obvious manner.

That said, why are you debating all of this in a for sale thread?