Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S 100D 28,000 MINT $57,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's fair to compare vehicles that offer a comparable driving experience in terms of performance and acceleration as a basis of relevancy when comparing apples to aardvarks. If I'm considering switching from a Model S P100DL ... ?

I just wanted to know how FUSC is transferred through private sale. It matters to me because 50% of my charge is from a SC since I drive back and forth CA a lot.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I just wanted to know how FUSC is transferred through private sale. It matters to me because 50% of my charge is from a SC since I drive back and forth CA a lot.

It's attached to the car's VIN and, assuming it's truly FUSC and not some newer version that doesn't transfer that the seller got as a promotion to sell the car it will transfer with the car automatically. Nothing else needs to be done for the buyer to receive FUSC which is the real benefit of FUSC versus this newer version they've been putting on select cars here and there over the last year or so. If a car had FUSC it will transfer from seller to buyer in perpetuity until it's either traded into a 3rd party dealership (this one is still debated but several have reported losing FUSC when buying from a 3rd party dealership) or traded into Tesla who then resells it as used. In both of those cases it can be removed. The only sure fire way is to buy a known FUSC car from a private party seller.

It's attached to the car's VIN and, assuming it's truly FUSC and not some newer version that doesn't transfer that the seller got as a promotion to sell the car it will transfer with the car automatically. Nothing else needs to be done for the buyer to receive FUSC which is the real benefit of FUSC versus this newer version they've been putting on select cars here and there over the last year or so. If a car had FUSC it will transfer from seller to buyer in perpetuity until it's either traded into a 3rd party dealership (this one is still debated but several have reported losing FUSC when buying from a 3rd party dealership) or traded into Tesla who then resells it as used. In both of those cases it can be removed. The only sure fire way is to buy a known FUSC car from a private party seller.
Exactly correct. Neither the buyer or seller need to do anything. When I sold my 2016 S90D with FUSC in 2019, the FUSC stayed with the car and is usable by the new owner.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
There's no rush to transfer the car to your account right away. The seller can add you as a driver while it is still on their account and you'll be able to see it in the app under your own account. You can then drive home with Tesla app access and it would still have FUSC, assuming it had FUSC already. Once you arrive home and register the car, you can start the process to move the car to your account. If the car has FUSC, it should remain with the car.

Reactions: dragonvn
There's no rush to transfer the car to your account right away. The seller can add you as a driver while it is still on their account and you'll be able to see it in the app under your own account. You can then drive home with Tesla app access and it would still have FUSC, assuming it had FUSC already. Once you arrive home and register the car, you can start the process to move the car to your account. If the car has FUSC, it should remain with the car.

But no way you can check if the car has transferable or nontransferable FUSC yourself, correct? I see some people even contact Tesla and were given incorrect information.

But no way you can check if the car has transferable or nontransferable FUSC yourself, correct? I see some people even contact Tesla and were given incorrect information.
It is listed on the website but it used to specifically say it was tranferable. Also, it used to be that all pre 2017 cars had transferable FUSC. Some early 2017 cars had transferable FUSC. No cars after 2017 have transferable FUSC.

2017 Model S with FUSC (non-transferable):
2020-10-09.png

2020 Model Y without FUSC:
2020-10-09.png

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonvn
So only marginally cheaper?
If you use the EPA combined for the ICE the Tesla is about 40 percent less and that is in a high electricity cost state (MA). Some states have sub 10 cent per kWh where it would be peanuts by comparison as someone characterized. Wait until demand returns and premium will go back to 3.50 too. Add in oil and brake work and Tesla is much less to operate per mile over its lifespan.

• Funny
How does Tesla know the car is sold? Can previous owner just give the Tesla account to the new owner?
In the US they do, just like other manufacturer know when their cars change hands. The reporting is there so that manufacturers can inform new owners of any recalls, but they also sell the information so for example if you buy a used car with XM radio, even via a private sale, the Sirius sales calls will start within weeks.

• Funny
**literally walls upon walls of endless text**

That said, why are you debating all of this in a for sale thread?

You're the one who's debating anything. I saw a factual inaccuracy ("supercharging costs peanuts compared to putting gas in your car") and I wanted to correct it. You might notice I never went into any of the "but which one is better??!!" stuff you've trying to debate with me. I care about literally nothing you've said.

Cool car, good luck with the sale. End of discussion.

You're the one who's debating anything. I saw a factual inaccuracy ("supercharging costs peanuts compared to putting gas in your car") and I wanted to correct it. You might notice I never went into any of the "but which one is better??!!" stuff you've trying to debate with me. I care about literally nothing you've said.

Cool car, good luck with the sale. End of discussion.

I wasn't aware saying something was "peanuts" was considered an official exact quantitative measurement that required action if misused. You're the one who took umbrage to the OP's post and felt compelled to challenge him in his own for sale thread because he chose to use what was clearly a whimsical claim that was made with tongue planted firmly in-cheek.

Once again, here you are crapping on someone's for sale thread with completely useless posts that nobody asked for. As if anyone reading his post literally thought they could exchange peanuts for Supercharging... good thing you set everyone straight. Then you lash out at others who point out just how useless & disrespectful your posts are and how rude it is to continue doing it the way you do.

You've made it quite clear that you are out on Tesla so why are you even in this marketplace subforum let alone this specific thread of a Model S for sale? Just in case someone abuses the term "peanuts" and takes advantage of some trusting soul you're here to cape up for the defenseless Tesla shopper? ROFL

I wasn't aware saying something was "peanuts" was considered an official exact quantitative measurement that required action if misused. You're the one who took umbrage to the OP's post and felt compelled to challenge him in his own for sale thread because he chose to use what was clearly a whimsical claim that was made with tongue planted firmly in-cheek.

Somebody said supercharging the car they were selling was much cheaper than putting gas in a car. That is one hundred percent inaccurate. I'd have the same reaction if they said their 100D had a range of 800 miles.

Once again, here you are crapping on someone's for sale thread with completely useless posts that nobody asked for.
I disagree that I'm crapping on anybody's thread.

As if anyone reading his post literally thought they could exchange peanuts for Supercharging... good thing you set everyone straight.
I love how hard you're grasping at straws. "Peanuts compared to x" is an established phrase in English, meaning that that thing is much smaller compared to the other thing. Nobody was thinking they could trade peanuts for supercharging.

Then you lash out at others who point out just how useless & disrespectful your posts are and how rude it is to continue doing it the way you do.
I lashed out at exactly nobody, I just pointed something out. Also, nobody other than you told me my posts were disrespectful or useless, before you came in we were having a regular conversation. Go back and read the thread - you're the only one who lashed out by writing a wall of text.

You've made it quite clear that you are out on Tesla so why are you even in this marketplace subforum let alone this specific thread of a Model S for sale?

Literally none of your business.

• Love