Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S 100D a good deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at a 2017 Model S 100D with 34k miles for $65k. It has FSD, Premium connectivity and according to Tesla free supercharging. Looking for some insight as to something this old or getting a new Model 3. I drive 89 miles each way to work and was looking at the S due to the unlimited mile battery warranty. Thanks

I drive 89 miles each way to work and was looking at the S due to the unlimited mile battery warranty. Thanks
Do you do 180 miles/day 5x/week?

What’s your average ANNUAL mileage? Practically speaking 3 remaining years of “unlimited” mileage warranty and the 100/120k mile warranty you’d get from a brand new Model 3 are probably about the same amount of coverage, and the other maintenance/repair costs are very likely to be lower on the 3.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Do you do 180 miles/day 5x/week?

What’s your average ANNUAL mileage? Practically speaking 3 remaining years of “unlimited” mileage warranty and the 100/120k mile warranty you’d get from a brand new Model 3 are probably about the same amount of coverage, and the other maintenance/repair costs are very likely to be lower on the 3.
I drive 160 miles five days a week. Just started doing this this year.

I drive 160 miles five days a week. Just started doing this this year.
So assuming you do that 50 weeks a year you’re at 40k annually.

That will give you 3 years of battery warranty on a LR Model 3 or 2.5 years on a RWD Model 3. Basically exactly what you’re looking at getting from a 2017 Model S, except in a car that’s 5 years newer.

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Unless you have a specific need for the size of the S, a new Model 3 will be a better decision than a 2017 S.

What you'll get in the 3 over the S:
  • Faster infotainment
  • Longer range
  • Faster charging
  • Newest software features (like Sentry camera on phone)
  • Phone key
The new 3 will also have it's own warranty and unless you plan on driving this thing til the wheels fall off, the 3's warranty will be sufficient - especially given that the S is already 5 years old and the S's are more complex and prone to failure than the 3s.

Reactions: Wol747
Make sure you check the order and delivery date.
Only Model S & X ordered before Jan 15, 2017 AND delivered by April 15, 2017 get lifetime Free Supercharging. After that, Free Supercharging was only for the original owner. If Tesla got ownership of it as a used car, I think thye can strip the Free Supercharging.
Ahh, this explains why my 2017 S doesn’t have free supercharging.