Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S 100D Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie question. I just picked up my ‘17 100D. I have 220 in my garage and plugged it in today to charge for the first time. On the app it shows that it was charging at 32 amps and 23 miles per hour. I could decrease the amps but not increase. Is this typical for that year? Wasn’t sure if I could charge at a faster rate doing something different. Thanks

Newbie question. I just picked up my ‘17 100D. I have 220 in my garage and plugged it in today to charge for the first time. On the app it shows that it was charging at 32 amps and 23 miles per hour. I could decrease the amps but not increase. Is this typical for that year? Wasn’t sure if I could charge at a faster rate doing something different. Thanks
Your car itself is capable of charging at either 48 or 72 amps (depending on original config) on high powered charging equipment like a Tesla wall connector.

The mobile charging equipment originally included with your car (the gen 1 Universal Mobile Connector) could charge at up to 40 amps. The "gen 2" mobile connector which was introduced later had a max output of 32 amps. Sounds like you probably have a gen 2 mobile connector.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are charging on an electric dryer circuit. My ‘17 MS 100D, using a 220V 30AMP, circuit charges at 23 Amps using the Gen 1 Mobile Connector. Sounds like it’s working as it should be.

Most dryer outlets are 30 amps, and you should expect to charge at 24 amps (80% of 30 amps). It sounds like OP is using a gen 2 mobile connector on a 40/50 amp receptacle; the gen 2 mobile connector has a 32 amp limit.

Reactions: Cbreitbach71
If you press the charge icon, it should show you the max amp your car is capable of for hpwc. Most are 48A, MS 100D can go as high as 72A but I think at certain point it is an option. Gen 2 mc max out at 32A and gen 1 at 40A.

So all 100D Model S/X can charge upto 72amps ? Is that through the wall connector only ? I thought wall connector max speed was 48amps ?

Thanks

No, only some 100D can charge at 72a. It was an extra cost upgrade. Mine for example is 48a (and I installed my WC in a 50a breaker, 40a charging, to avoid needing a service upgrade).

To find out what yours can do, make sure the car is unplugged. Then go to the charge screen (or app) and see how high you can go.

When it’s plugged in? It shows the max of the car or the evse, whichever is lower.

Both Gen1 & Gen2 wall connectors could go to 72a.
So the current latest tesla wall charger is 60amp max connection? I wonder why the new ones aren't as high. Does anyone still have the OG wall charger im wondering how many miles of range it can add at 72 or 80amps.
Cost savings and convenience. The newer WC uses smaller cables. Less copper and easier to move around. Due to additional cost, I would doubt many were installed at 72a.

It should be a pretty direct ratio to calculate charge rate from 32, 40, or 48 to 72.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Thank you. So tesla mobile charger max speed is 32amps? wall charger is 48amps.

Anyway to charge a tesla at 40amps without wall charger ?
The gen2 mobile charger is 32a. The gen1 can do 40a (if you can find one). There was, at one time, a corded mobile connector that had a fixed 14-50 that was 40a.

There are lots of 40a j1772 mobile units on the market that would work with the j1772 adapter.

Thank you guys for all the info i wish Tesla hadn't limited the mobile charger to 32amps bit i guess they want people to buy the WC for faster charging, as for buying a j1772 charger just seems like a waste now as pretty soon all cars will have the NACS plug so ill wait for that and just use the Mobile charger for now. I might be over thinking it maybe 32amps will be enough for me as im in the process of buying a 100D and if i could charge at 80/72 amps thats the wire i would run to the garage but it seems as the 48amp WC isn't worth the money.

Hopefully soon we can have 40/48 amp chargers that just plug into nema plug with NACS connector on the other end.

In general, 32a will charge the car overnight. So unless you have other quick turnaround requirements faster isn’t necessary.

Charging at 40a will generate double the heat in a resistor (bad connection) because power is a factor of current squared. 32a is going to be a good deal safer for the general population that may have worn or incorrectly installed outlets.

Of course if you need a quick turn, 72a is fantastic. But that going to be questionable even in a house with a 200a service.

I have a Gen 1 Wall charger and used to charge using 72 amps on my 2017 100D. Still getting used to only pulling 48 amps with my new Plaid. It's a lot slower, although I really ever need it to charge any quicker. Yeah, any 220 amperage should charge fast enough that you'll have a "full tank" by the next morning.

I have a gen 1 Mobile connector so it charges at 40A.
I also have a gen 2 HPWC so I charge at 80A when home.

You can find gen2 HPWC on eBay if your car supports the higher charge rate. But they are usually around $1000 used. Luckily I got both of mine back when they were priced from Tesla at $400.

I find it very stupid they nerfed the AC charge speed by sooooo much on the newer cars. Yes overnight 40A works fine. But many times I'll finish a road trip arrive home at like 5% and it'll only take a couple hours and I'm back to 90% to go anywhere I need which is quite often.

Reactions: gaswalla
I have a Gen 1 Wall charger and used to charge using 72 amps on my 2017 100D. Still getting used to only pulling 48 amps with my new Plaid. It's a lot slower, although I really ever need it to charge any quicker. Yeah, any 220 amperage should charge fast enough that you'll have a "full tank" by the next morning.
Does it show in the app under "specs and warranty" that your model s has a high speed charger option?

I'm currently looking at a 2017 model s 100d and the owner insists that it has the dual charger but I'm unable to see that option in the specs.

Does it show in the app under "specs and warranty" that your model s has a high speed charger option?

I'm currently looking at a 2017 model s 100d and the owner insists that it has the dual charger but I'm unable to see that option in the specs.
You should see it on the charge screen when the car is unplugged. As soon as it’s plugged in, the max moves down to the max provided by the evse.