Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to potentially sell my late 2017 100D.

- FSD with newly swapped out AP3 computer
- upgraded it with Bio Defense Mode with the HEPA filtration.
- 41k miles, still has access to extended warranty
- Clean title and I am the only owner
- Located in Chicago currently, first year was in DC area

Price - $65k. I will also upload more pictures of the car in the next few days as well if there is interest out there.
IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_5258.jpg

Many, many different ways to arrive at a number. If you simply assume a 60% residual value...that would be $63,150. Review ev-cpo.com to also compare what a similar CPO is listed at.

However, I believe the market is mostly being driven by the seller’s urgency to sell at this moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damien Sandow
Hoping to get help on pricing this car. Am I crazy to think I should be able to get around the price listed? I'm not the type to be unwilling to listen to feedback.

Thanks!
Based on what is currently on the market with similar equipment and miles, including Tesla offerings with full 4/50 limited warranties, I think your asking price may be $5k-$6k too high.

First- kudos to you for not being offended by people's comments on here. Many get easily offended when others offer commentary on their pricing.

I would think that the best data point would be Tesla Used inventory/evo-cpo. From here, depending on how quickly you want/need to sell the car, the right number is likely at least $5000 less than what is on there (since those offer the buyer a greater degree of confidence, a longer warranty. etc.).

I would think that any number in the upper $50's would be a good number for buyer and seller here.

I am looking for a P90D, P90DL or possibly 100D and have been looking in the upper 50's- depending on mileage, private vs Tesla, etc. and there are decent options in that range.

Your car is very nice- but I think you will need to find the right buyer to value the FSD (on places like here it is more likely to be valued than on a more open market).

This is the closest one to yours that I have seen: 2017 Model S | Tesla

It has several options that yours doesn't have (sunroof, cold weather, etc.), and comes with a 4 year warranty....so I would value yours closer to $55K based on that....but this is only one person's opinion.

One other thing that you may have in your favor right now is that used late model Tesla inventory is low due to new Tesla production being reduced during COVID and some new buyers looking to good used options rather than wait.

Good luck with the sale!

Just to add further to the discussion -- while Tesla does adjust prices on used inventory fairly regularly, the price at any given time is generally not negotiable. They are kind of like CarMax and Carvana in that sense. However, someone shopping for a car from a private seller (or most dealers) is likely going to want to haggle and therefore you will want to keep a buffer for that in your asking price e.g., if you think your car is worth and want to get $55k, set the asking price at $59k. Don't set the price too low too quickly! Of course, you don't want to overprice it at the beginning either.

If this was my car I wouldn’t take a penny less than $60K. That’s very doable if you are patient. Don’t just rely on this forum for selling
I guess I'd be curious to understand why you think it is worth 60K when Tesla is selfing them with more options and a warranty for the same amount.

Again- I hope that the owner gets as much as he/she can get, but I am just basing my observations on actual data.

Reactions: 2101Guy and Rmf1981
I appreciate all the feedback, TMC. Like someone mentioned above, I definitely wanted to leave a little wiggle room with the price I presented because I know folks want to haggle. Especially since you can't really haggle with Tesla, so that can be "win" for people buying private. I'd say $62k would be realistic and I'll probably post to other places to get more eyes on it. Again, like someone else mentioned, it's tough to show the value in the car having FSD and the newest chip all ready to go.

I can also purchase the extended warranty on behalf of the buyer as well, right?

Reactions: MAPC
I appreciate all the feedback, TMC. Like someone mentioned above, I definitely wanted to leave a little wiggle room with the price I presented because I know folks want to haggle. Especially since you can't really haggle with Tesla, so that can be "win" for people buying private. I'd say $62k would be realistic and I'll probably post to other places to get more eyes on it. Again, like someone else mentioned, it's tough to show the value in the car having FSD and the newest chip all ready to go.

I can also purchase the extended warranty on behalf of the buyer as well, right?

I don't think it's hard to show that value at all. An informed buyer (like you're gonna get on this website) is going to understand the value of FSD and be able to figure out what it would cost them to upgrade.

You could buy the extended warranty, and - frankly- I think in that case you'd have a very good argument for pricing above the cost of comparable car on tesla's website. As a buyer, I still hate that I generally can't see or touch the cars from the tesla website until I have already put an order down, they shipped it in, etc. I know I can refuse delivery, but that's a pain in the butt. From a private seller, I can get more pictures very easily, I can ask about damage, I can send an inspector on my own behalf to check out the car, etc.

Tesla seems to be adding FSD to most of the used cars - no doubt to increase the selling price (free for them to do it! It's actually brilliant on their part). If you have added FSD and you add a warranty, I'd hold out for at or above Tesla's asking on a comparable Used car from their inventory. And this is coming from a guy who likes a deal. ;-) But I'd pay more for a car with exactly the same options, etc. with a warranty from someone who looks like they took care of it well.

Your car is beautiful, GLWS!