Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S 75 RWD vs AWD uncork eligibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone!

I am a couple of weeks away from picking up my CPO 2017 Model S 75 RWD. The manufacture date of the vehicle is Sep 2017. I feel like I have scoured the web and there seems to be confusion around S 75 RWD eligibility (75D as well).

Can any Model S 75 RWD owner please post if they have in fact have their car uncorked and provide some info on how they went about getting it uncorked? (Came with the car, OTA after delivery, SC visit, etc).

Also, in case someone knows the exact eligibility rules around this topic please do share.

Thanks all in advance!

Reactions: David Harvey
Hi Everyone!

I am a couple of weeks away from picking up my CPO 2017 Model S 75 RWD. The manufacture date of the vehicle is Sep 2017. I feel like I have scoured the web and there seems to be confusion around S 75 RWD eligibility (75D as well).

Can any Model S 75 RWD owner please post if they have in fact have their car uncorked and provide some info on how they went about getting it uncorked? (Came with the car, OTA after delivery, SC visit, etc).

Also, in case someone knows the exact eligibility rules around this topic please do share.

Thanks all in advance!

Just to add to the confusion, I purchased from a private buyer a 8.2016 build 155XXX MS60RWD and was told by Tesla the DU was capable of being uncorked. They told me I needed to unlock the battery to a S75 and they would check the list to see about eligibility then.

I've also read on here that someone did exacty this to be told no by their SC. To date, I have not read of anyone who had been able to tap into the extra power that is available in the DU.

Thanks @sharpgator !

I have a feeling I may not be eligible. The Sep 2017 manufacture date is actually the purchase date by the first owner. I assume the REAL manufacture date is before Sep 2017 and based on this google sheet I found I have a feeling my date is before July 2017, more like mid-June. =(

Darn. I was really hoping I was ok but oh well.

Great question why the original owner dumped the car 3 months later. No idea but i heard from Tesla SA, they see this happen once every 3-6mos for a variety of reasons.

I thought you were getting my previous vehicle, but my VIN was 201xxx, and mfr date was 6/17.

My current vehicle, VIN 209xxx, was built in 8/17, picked up in 9/17, and was uncorked from the factory.

Both are RWD MS 75.
So, just out of curiosity, what made you flip cars so quickly? I've done this myself a time or 2, but it was always because the car I was driving was driving me nuts, so, it was never to the same type car.

So, just out of curiosity, what made you flip cars so quickly? I've done this myself a time or 2, but it was always because the car I was driving was driving me nuts, so, it was never to the same type car.

It was a replacement vehicle due to an issue encountered with the first one. Exact same config; I was just lucky to get the upgraded power of the uncorked version on the second go round.

Sorry to say I don't think any RWD cars have been uncorked at all. As a 75D owner, we went through months of checking forums and hoping we would one day get the performance upgrade which we were lucky enough to get in the end but RWD cars just didn't have the hardware. The only reason I bought the 75D was because noticed the engine power was 518hp (way above the rated or 329hp) and I was hoping for a magical upgrade at some point in the future. It's now producing 470hp and I guess the 100D is right on the 518. My only hope for RWD owners is that the original P85 could do the 0-60 in the low 4s so maybe it's possible but most likely the different rear motor just can't produce enough power.

Mike, I don't think that's true (that RWD cars haven't been uncorked). Everything I've read says that RWD cars, manufactured after something like 6/17 (not sure of the exact date), came from the factory uncorked. I had asked Tesla about this, and they confirmed my 9/17 RWD S had been uncorked at the factory.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks all in advance!
If it was manufactured (not sold) anytime after July 1, 2017, then it has already been uncorked.
Just to add to the confusion, I purchased from a private buyer a 8.2016 build 155XXX MS60RWD and was told by Tesla the DU was capable of being uncorked. They told me I needed to unlock the battery to a S75 and they would check the list to see about eligibility then.

I've also read on here that someone did exacty this to be told no by their SC. To date, I have not read of anyone who had been able to tap into the extra power that is available in the DU.
Unfortunately, they told you information valid for the 75D, not the S75 RWD. That vehicle will not be eligible for uncorking (unless their rules have changed and nobody picked up on it).
Sorry to say I don't think any RWD cars have been uncorked at all. As a 75D owner, we went through months of checking forums and hoping we would one day get the performance upgrade which we were lucky enough to get in the end but RWD cars just didn't have the hardware. The only reason I bought the 75D was because noticed the engine power was 518hp (way above the rated or 329hp) and I was hoping for a magical upgrade at some point in the future. It's now producing 470hp and I guess the 100D is right on the 518. My only hope for RWD owners is that the original P85 could do the 0-60 in the low 4s so maybe it's possible but most likely the different rear motor just can't produce enough power.
Honestly I don't buy that the S75 RWD cannot be uncorked, but that's Tesla's transparency for you.

Mike, I don't think that's true (that RWD cars haven't been uncorked). Everything I've read says that RWD cars, manufactured after something like 6/17 (not sure of the exact date), came from the factory uncorked. I had asked Tesla about this, and they confirmed my 9/17 RWD S had been uncorked at the factory.
He's referring to S75 RWD sold before July 1, 2017. The majority of 75D vehicles (even those sold before July 1, 2017) can be uncorked such that their performance is boosted from 5.2 to 4.2 for 0-60 acceleration. Tesla initially said it was not possible, then started allowing 75D to be uncorked.

RWD uncork requires new hardware that was introduced after July/17, at the same time performance update was introduced. It’s either factory uncorked or not, unlike 75D that can be uncorked at SC after delivery.
Initially after the "new hardware" was introduced Tesla was claiming the same for the 75D, but later on they retreated and started uncorking them. I still haven't read a definitive post on what this "new hardware" is on the S75 RWD and what differences it has from the "old hardware".

Reactions: llirk