Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S 75 RWD vs AWD uncork eligibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is possible to increase performance of the older RWD, although there is a fuse harness that would need upgrading and you would have to increase amps somehow. To me Tesla decided not to increase performance as it would probably stress the rear motor and create more heat making their product unreliable. The dual motor 75d had the capability as it's the same basic drive train as the 90d. My guess is after your warranty runs out, there will be an after market performance upgrade for all the older cars

You sure about that?
Do you mean unlocked to 75kw battery? Uncorked is a different thing completely
Agreed. Tesla started using the larger, more powerful, RWD motor in new builds starting in late summer 2017. Please show a video of your car going 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds to verify that it's actually uncorked. unlocking the full 75 kWh battery capacity is not the same thing as uncorking.

Sorry to be late to this party. A few observations...
1. The date of the changeover is likely June 14th 2017. At least some AWD cars were made that week with new motor/inverter assemblies. It is hard to get the week and especially hard to get the exact build day. Build month is on the door panel.
2. The new assembly was designated DU00 for AWD (small) and DU01 for RWD/P (large) in the option codes. Unfortunately now it is hard to pull option codes for your car.
3. The DUxx is the exact same physical size as the previous version.
4. We don’t know what changed with the new assemblies. It might just be the integrated inverter electronics. But we know that they can handle substantially more power than even the uncorked settings.
5. As mentioned, a RWD has never been uncorked. Either RWDs came uncorked after Jun 14th, or they will always be corked.
6. Likely there are drive unit failures in pre DU01 vehicles that have had DU01 replacements under warranty. Unclear if there would be wiring or pyrofuse limits that would prevent those new units from being uncorked when installed.

Last edited:
I spoke with Electric Garage in Miami about this. They told me they could uncork an MCU1 but not MCU2 as MCU2 has a "burned in chip" whatever that means.... I told him to let me know if they ever figure it out.

It's crazy to me at this point that nobody has figured this out yet. It doesn't have to be the full uncorking treatment that the 7/1/2017 RWD's received but why not a partial uncorking? Unlock a bit more juice for us. Add a "sport" driving mode or something with an extra .5 seconds shaved off 0 to 60 and I would be SUPER happy.

At this point I don't think it will ever happen as I think Tesla has moved on from this, but I hope I'm wrong.

• Love
Reactions: MIT_S60
I spoke with Electric Garage in Miami about this. They told me they could uncork an MCU1 but not MCU2 as MCU2 has a "burned in chip" whatever that means.... I told him to let me know if they ever figure it out.

It's crazy to me at this point that nobody has figured this out yet. It doesn't have to be the full uncorking treatment that the 7/1/2017 RWD's received but why not a partial uncorking? Unlock a bit more juice for us. Add a "sport" driving mode or something with an extra .5 seconds shaved off 0 to 60 and I would be SUPER happy.

At this point I don't think it will ever happen as I think Tesla has moved on from this, but I hope I'm wrong.
The reason you can't uncork a RWD 75 is because the uncorking was a front-motor power band increase (Jon McNeill, former VP of Customer Support at Tesla told me this personally).

As you mentioned, there was a short period of time when Tesla did produce RWD 75 models that were faster (~4.2sec 0-60) compared to mine (~5.5sec 0-60), but that wasn't due to uncorking - it was due to a more powerful rear motor/inverter/software combination. No RWD cars other than those can be "uncorked" - and I've definately tried. The inverter firmware won't accept the performance parameters because the drive unit isn't compatible with uncorking.

I don’t believe this is the case. Uncorking changed the powerband of the FRONT motor. No RWD could be uncorked. Jon McNeil from Tesla personally told me this.
As I recall the late 2017 RWDs that had the reduced 4.3 second 0-60 had a physically different rear motor and/or inverter. Possible in theory that @Reyswan ’s car had a drive unit replacement at some point with a newer part rev that supported the better performance and Tesla went ahead and changed the config?

Seems super unlikely, but plausible I suppose.

Reactions: Krash
If that’s actually true you have the ONLY “uncorked” RWD in existence. Did you feel a performance difference, and is it substantiated by the stopwatch?

I have not had the opportunity to do it but will try to do with stopwatch and report back...

I don’t believe this is the case. Uncorking changed the powerband of the FRONT motor. No RWD could be uncorked. Jon McNeil from Tesla personally told me this.

I don't know the technical part of it, all I know is that I requested a work order and they did it. I also saw that in the performance metrics, they had noted down P1 as opposed to P3. But like @ucmndd said, the stopwatch is probably the best way to find out.

As I recall the late 2017 RWDs that had the reduced 4.3 second 0-60 had a physically different rear motor and/or inverter. Possible in theory that @Reyswan ’s car had a drive unit replacement at some point with a newer part rev that supported the better performance and Tesla went ahead and changed the config?

Seems super unlikely, but plausible I suppose.

I have not received any new motor, this is the factory one.

The weird thing is that I know some Model S75 RWD were sort of uncorked from factory where the 0-60 was 4.3? as opposed to the 5. I wonder if what you are saying is that they had this updated drive unit?

Also, looking at the previous tracker, I don't seem to be the only one, there's another reported cases from RWD.

…all I know is that I requested a work order and they did it…
Can we see the completed work order?
…the stopwatch is probably the best way to find out…
Actually the best way is to hookup a CANBus diagnostic tool and record the torque, power settings and throttle position directly, but a stopwatch is a much simpler solution.
…I have not received any new motor, this is the factory one…
If you’ve had the car since new then it would be really unlikely that you got a pre-production DU01 drive unit.
…The weird thing is that I know some Model S75 RWD were sort of uncorked from factory where the 0-60 was 4.3? as opposed to the 5. I wonder if what you are saying is that they had this updated drive unit?…
Units produced after 14June 2017 had the DU01 drive unit and came with factory higher torque settings. Units produced before did not. No known “uncorking” happened for RWDs, but since the motors are interchangeable, we’d really like to know if any other parts are required to get higher performance from a DU01 replacement into an older car with original wiring, pyro fuse, etc.
Also, looking at the previous tracker, I don't seem to be the only one, there's another reported cases from RWD.

I wouldn’t take that as proof.

Are you talking about row 78 that shows they were denied uncorking 10/24 and doesn’t show an uncorking date?

The car in row 125 (produced 9/17) shows DU00 but almost certainly has DU01 underneath even if their code shows DU00. This has been known to happen.

The car in row 127 should have had DU01 from the factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art VandeIay