Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S (AP2) Midnight Silver 75

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to sell my 2017 Model S (AP2) with about 22k miles. Listing price at 70K (negotiable). I have already taken account of depreciation as well as State Incentive discounts.

The car has been wrapped with a ClearBra as well as maintained through purchase period.
Features:
- Premium Upgrade
- Enhanced Autopilot
- Full Self-Driving

Interior is Black Leather with Carbon Fiber.

Please let me know if this is priced too high, and I will make necessary changes. Looking to replace this vehicle with a Model X. I am tempted to just purchase the Model X, but I cannot image what to do with 2 cars.

Attachments

• lgriffin-front 2.jpg
    lgriffin-front 2.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 149
  • lgriffin-passenger side 1.jpg
    lgriffin-passenger side 1.jpg
    704.7 KB · Views: 124
  • lgriffin-rear 3:4 right.jpg
    lgriffin-rear 3:4 right.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 122
Your price isn't unreasonable but I think the value of your car is going to quickly come down over the next 6 or so months because of tesla clearing their Model 3 backlog and now that the performance version is cheaper. Currently pricing a new 75D with EAP (assuming someone doesnt value FSD), black premium, and premium interior is 89k, so after federal and potential state tax credits, thats a difference of less than 10k.

Could you find a buyer that values the FSD and prefers the S over the 3? Perhaps.

I'd get a carmax quote (which tesla will match) and keep in mind depending on your state, trading in the car towards the X will decrease the tax burden on your new car price.

• Informative
Reactions: robby
Thank you so much for the insight. I thought Tesla had stopped matching quotes from CarMax. I also had no idea it would decrease the tax burden of the new car.

I will keep this in mind when debating to buy the Model X in upcoming days possibly!

Thank you so much for the insight. I thought Tesla had stopped matching quotes from CarMax. I also had no idea it would decrease the tax burden of the new car.

Not for us in CA. Other states do this. The last place you want to sell it is back to Tesla. They pretty much offer you the lowest possible value for an used Tesla. I read other people had good results selling their Tesla to Vrroom or Carvana. You may want to get quotes from them while you are waiting for a sale here.

Tesla has a really loaded 2016 CPO S90D for $61,900, it even has 3rd row, 21’s, Premium, subzero, sound, I think $70k for a used 75 is optimistic. I don’t think many people put much value on FSD especially on the early AP2 cars. They also have a handful of brand new S75 AP2.5 inventory cars still sitting around for about the same price as yours after tax credit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xolt
Thank you for the input.

Yes, I did check 2016 models and some of them only have AP1. I do not know a lot of people liking the 3rd row seats either, because it takes up unnecessary trunk space. The premium sound isn't a huge deal breaker and difference as well as having a 21" wheels. Their vehicle costs a lot more than what mine is, and the depreciation value is about right.

As for the other S75 in the lot it is priced the same as mine after the tax credit. Which was my intention, because I did take that into account in the price. If someone buys the new models, you have tax (8k+) as well as finance charges, and applying for tax credit. Your statement just reaffirms that my pricing is about spot on. Thank you!

Thank you for the input.

Yes, I did check 2016 models and some of them only have AP1. I do not know a lot of people liking the 3rd row seats either, because it takes up unnecessary trunk space. The premium sound isn't a huge deal breaker and difference as well as having a 21" wheels. Their vehicle costs a lot more than what mine is, and the depreciation value is about right.

As for the other S75 in the lot it is priced the same as mine after the tax credit. Which was my intention, because I did take that into account in the price. If someone buys the new models, you have tax (8k+) as well as finance charges, and applying for tax credit. Your statement just reaffirms that my pricing is about spot on. Thank you!
Used cars in almost every state are taxed the same as new. I own an auto dealership and I’m up on my numbers. So that’s an $8k mistake;) You asked about your pricing so just letting you know, Your Welcome, :) Model S cars with the 21’s looks so much better with them and thus the demand and premium, AP1 works flawlessly and is a plus for those who know, just ask anyone with it, especially people that have both 1 and 2. The rear seats are removable and people sell them quite easily on this forum but they seem to have a following because the fold flat in the floor and add versatility, they’re not for me but just saying. Definitely not knocking your car, I’m sure it’s very nice, just answering what you asked about the pricing and what you said about the tax mistake. Good luck with your sale.

Last edited:
I do not understand how it is a mistake though. I use the inventory website on Tesla and there are only (3) 2016 cars that match what I have in my car. The Premium Upgrade as well as the Autopilot and such. They are priced at the mid 60k. Then you take into account that you do not get a tax credit from them, and tax is applied on top.

The cost of the car would be about 66k (me being generous) and the mileage is sky high compared to mine. I also take in account I have tints on my windows as well as a ClearBra wrap on the entire car. I have also use Modesta coating for interior leather seats as well as the rims. This added protection to making washing the car easier and protected.

I do not understand what I am doing wrong with pricing... I took in account of all factors. Should I be waiting for my car to be older and sell it then, since it would be a novelty? =D

I do not understand how it is a mistake though. I use the inventory website on Tesla and there are only (3) 2016 cars that match what I have in my car. The Premium Upgrade as well as the Autopilot and such. They are priced at the mid 60k. Then you take into account that you do not get a tax credit from them, and tax is applied on top.

The cost of the car would be about 66k (me being generous) and the mileage is sky high compared to mine. I also take in account I have tints on my windows as well as a ClearBra wrap on the entire car. I have also use Modesta coating for interior leather seats as well as the rims. This added protection to making washing the car easier and protected.

I do not understand what I am doing wrong with pricing... I took in account of all factors. Should I be waiting for my car to be older and sell it then, since it would be a novelty? =D
I was comparing it to a more expensive S90D, there are plenty of discounted new S75D’s and 6 S75’s still available, didn’t want to post them though. The mistake was that you said you somehow save $8,000 in tax but the used cars are taxed at the same rate as new in almost every state.

The bold part was your mistake. Because buying from private party, you have to pay Use Tax which is the same rate as Sales Tax in California. The buyer will have to pay that when he/she registers the car with DMV. So paying tax does not make a difference in the 2 options because both have to pay.

Reactions: Sunshine State
The bold part was your mistake. Because buying from private party, you have to pay Use Tax which is the same rate as Sales Tax in California. The buyer will have to pay that when he/she registers the car with DMV. So paying tax does not make a difference in the 2 options because both have to pay.

Not all states are the same when it comes to taxing on new and used cars. For instance my state on the east coast charges based on the value of the car. Therefore I would be set back about $4,500 in taxes!!

So to answer your question on prices please see sunshine states post

I also take in account I have tints on my windows as well as a ClearBra wrap on the entire car. I have also use Modesta coating for interior leather seats as well as the rims. This added protection to making washing the car easier and protected.

While these aftermarket modifications may impact your personal ownership experience, buyers may value them differently or not at all. Typically they are not investments that you can expect to recoup equity from when you sell the vehicle. If you add a premium for these items, keep in mind that you'll need to find a buyer that values them the same as you do.