Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S autopilot car following inop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here, first time Tesla. I have recently purchased a 2017 Tesla Model S 75 rwd. it has autopilot 2.0 and NVIDIA Tegra infotainment. Autopilot does work, however when I turn the car following nob on the autopilot stem, nothing happens and the car does not adjust speed no matter how close I get to another car. I have attempted a couple of times now to recalibrate the cameras. it seems to accept the request but I see no status on the infotainment screen to tell the progress of the recalibrate. I would guess I am nearing the 80 mile mark by now in pretty good phoenix traffic. when I first started the calibration I noticed the instrument cluster did not 'see' any other cars or objects. as the days have gone by it is learning and seeing cars and even cones now. once it even turned a potential collision car red and made an audible beep. My question for you all here, and pardon my ignorance, should car following work? have I waited long enough for camera callibration? should I see a progress of how the calibration is coming? videos I found for other models have a progress steering wheel that turns blue when done. I have searched very hard for any info on these questions and find nothing for camera calibration for this year model S. thank you all for any help you can provide.

Autopilot does work, however when I turn the car following nob on the autopilot stem, nothing happens and the car does not adjust speed no matter how close I get to another car.
The following distance doesn't impact your car's speed, only the distance it maintains between your car and the car in front.

Are you saying that when you engage TACC or Autosteer, then you turn the knob at the end of the autopilot stalk, you don't see any visible indication of following distance in the instrument panel? If that's the case, maybe your autopilot stalk is broken. Did you purchase the car from Tesla or elsewhere?

The following distance doesn't impact your car's speed, only the distance it maintains between your car and the car in front.

Are you saying that when you engage TACC or Autosteer, then you turn the knob at the end of the autopilot stalk, you don't see any visible indication of following distance in the instrument panel? If that's the case, maybe your autopilot stalk is broken. Did you purchase the car from Tesla or elsewhere?
right, when I turn the car spacing button on the autopilot stalk there is no visible indication on the instrument panel. all the other functions of the stalk seem to work perfect. I can set, recall, end, 5mph increment. also I do not see a steering wheel greyed out or otherwise to indicate Autosteer is available. is auto steer a function on this car? again pardon my ignorance. I purchased the car private sale.

I see this when I change distances.

But if you don’t have EAP or any FSD you wouldn’t have smart cruise control.

Does it follow but not adjust the distance? Or is it fixed speed?

Attachments

• C9FDE597-1633-4B17-9DF6-7C6C2F494FFA.jpeg
    C9FDE597-1633-4B17-9DF6-7C6C2F494FFA.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 111
i’ve seen videos of owners going in to service mode and getting access to Driver Assist settings. when i first got the car the parking assist wasn’t working. it is working now so i was hoping to find autosteer disabled somewhere but doesn’t seem to be the case. i’m starting to think my car is not equipped with these features.

Very strange. I thought all 2017s had base lane keeping (auto steer in lane) and TACC for speed control. Upgrades then included EAP for lane changing, parking and summon. Perhaps someone else with 2017 remembers the options available at purchase and if base AP was included. You could also check at a Service Center.

well i think i’ve solved the mystery and i don’t have the autopilot feature. which means i don’t have traffic aware cruise control or autosteer because i see it as an upgrade option. thank you all for being helpful i greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• 82DA6F09-27C3-4009-9047-E518D417D66C.png
    82DA6F09-27C3-4009-9047-E518D417D66C.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 71
Yeah, the Autopilot screen confirmed no AP present on the car (no autosteer/summon/etc...). I believe there was a period of time when Tesla did not include basic AP with their cars although I am somewhat surprised that you don't minimally have Traffic Aware Cruise Control.

While I can't speak for anyone's budget, I'd say the AP is worth the $3k upgrade. After that, whether worth it to upgrade further to enhanced autopilot or FSD would be a different discussion.

Well for the other’s that have the same dilemma then here is a clarification how does the AP1 system performs. As the TACC is relying on radar and camera data then it can only work if the Autosteer has been enabled. Since OP did not confirmed this with the purchase then to gain access you need to activate it by purchasing from Tesla.

14072529-EDB2-43DA-805D-EA52351CF82A.jpeg

Yeah, the Autopilot screen confirmed no AP present on the car (no autosteer/summon/etc...). I believe there was a period of time when Tesla did not include basic AP with their cars although I am somewhat surprised that you don't minimally have Traffic Aware Cruise Control.

While I can't speak for anyone's budget, I'd say the AP is worth the $3k upgrade. After that, whether worth it to upgrade further to enhanced autopilot or FSD would be a different discussion.
Basic Autopilot wasn’t standard until 2019, so the OP’s 2017 S wouldn’t have it unless it had been purchased. Cars without any AP option did not have TACC, just “dumb” cruise control.

• Informative
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
well i think i’ve solved the mystery and i don’t have the autopilot feature. which means i don’t have traffic aware cruise control or autosteer because i see it as an upgrade option. thank you all for being helpful i greatly appreciate it.
Glad you figured it out. I think the thing that threw everyone off is that "dumb" cruise control still works, even when you don't have TACC. That $3000 is money well spent in my opinion. Don't bother with EAP or FSD obviously.

Reactions: KalJoMoS