Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S (facelift) cabin filter questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have a 2017 Model S and I'm wondering about replacing the cabin air filter (behind the glove box).
1) Should it be installed with the arrows on the side of the filter point pointing up or down?
Logically, to me, air flow arrows should point up (indicating air flow) because (I'm assuming) the air flows up & out of the dash air vents.
But, according to this Youtube video, it says arrows should point down:
See info at 2:17 of this video: Installing cabin air filter in facelift Model S
2) Can someone currently go to a Tesla Service Center & purchase an air filter, or are we not allowed to actually go inside (Covid restrictions)?
3) Anyone know the current price of the filter from Tesla?
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Arrows pointing down.
I turned on my HVAC system, and could tell the air was being pulled downward.

If anyone knows an aftermarket source for Tesla cabin air filters, please let us know. Fram and other companies don't seem to be making them, yet.

Why not just buy it from Tesla? I had mine replaced about a year ago and the cost of the HVAC Carbon filter was $8.80. I've often been stunned at the low prices Tesla sells parts for. Often a fraction of what dealers scam you for and often new parts are available from Tesla at less than used prices on eBay. Legacy dealers have just made consumers expect to be scammed, which is not the Tesla way.

Reactions: Bart57266
It’s a really good quality filter although it’s a bit more expensive than the SC one. My time was worth the extra cost.

Attachments

• 36D549EA-68E3-4F8B-9E28-2AEFFADA53CE.png
    36D549EA-68E3-4F8B-9E28-2AEFFADA53CE.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 153
Why not just buy it from Tesla? I had mine replaced about a year ago and the cost of the HVAC Carbon filter was $8.80. I've often been stunned at the low prices Tesla sells parts for. Often a fraction of what dealers scam you for and often new parts are available from Tesla at less than used prices on eBay. Legacy dealers have just made consumers expect to be scammed, which is not the Tesla way.

Agreed! The only online filters I could find were in Germany, Lithuania and the UK, and they were each about $30. Because I was at the Tesla service center, anyway, I asked for a price. The 1072736-00-B filter for my 2018 Model S was just as you mentioned, only $8.80 each, so I bought three!

Attachments

• Filter - 1 (1).jpg
    Filter - 1 (1).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: quickstrike12