Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S Insurance rates in Ohio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long-time (36 years) Westfield Auto customer.

Received quote to insure New Inventory 2017 MS100d with $1,000 deductible; $2,054.00/year :eek: as 53 year old driver with clean record...

Now, I know there are many variables which influence cost; # drivers in home, age of drivers, etc.

But, my agent informed me that the 2017 has a repair rating of 86, while my 2014 Lexus RX350 has a rating of 38.

So, I'm just curious what others have experienced...

How much is that over what you paid for the Lexus?

For my new X from AMICA, it was about 3/4 of that in Northern Virginia, for $500 deductible (and there are a million factors to make quotes hard to compare, as we all know). Similar age and record.

If you want to see how another company with a good rep compares, I'd call them. You can also choose between the 'net' price and the co-op price of getting the 20% refund at the end of every year (price I gave above was including that 'discount').

Received quote to insure New Inventory 2017 MS100d with $1,000 deductible; $2,054.00/year :eek: as 53 year old driver with clean record...

Now, I know there are many variables which influence cost; # drivers in home, age of drivers, etc.

But, my agent informed me that the 2017 has a repair rating of 86, while my 2014 Lexus RX350 has a rating of 38.

I experienced about the same. Did some checking around and got a much lower rate, hated to switch from my carrier of many years but even my agent told me that it made sense and said their rates were high since the company really didn't want to insure them since they are so new but if someone wants to pay the high price, then sure. I paid the high rate for a few months after getting our first MS, but when it came time to add the 2nd one to the policy, I made the switch to the new company. I've had 3 on the policy with the new carrier for less than the cost to insure one with my old carrier.

My suggestion is to shop around.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Wow, those are some crazy costs. I'm just outside Nashville but use a company based in Ohio (Grange Insurance). I have a bundle with home, auto, some jewelry, term life, and an umbrella policy which helps some some money. I was quoted $897/year to insure my recently ordered Model S 75 with a $1000 deductible. For comparison, my wife's 2013 Infiniti JX-35 costs us $697 per year.

I second Progressive. Not that I like that company, but they quoted me about $1,600/yr with 250 deductible, 50/100 coverage with UM/UIM. Property damage was 50k I believe.

If insurance is required to offer UM/UIM in your State...... I strongly suggest you get it. If you can, avoid the 1k deductible. That just makes a policy not very practical if you have collision and comprehension coverage. Even 500 is too steep. Shop around.

Quote was for a 2016 S75.

Last edited:
So, I guess I shouldn't complain about paying ~$834 per year in PA?

I have insurance by Metromile.

With them, I pay a base rate of $33/mo and 7.3 cents/mi driven.

I drive my Model S about 6,000 miles/year

Unfortunately, It's only available in CA, IL, NJ, OR, PA, VA and D.C. right now.

If you live in one of those states, you should check it out if you are a low mile driver.

Mine is 200+ with State farm 40 with clean record. 2013 P85. Welcome to the club.

When I shopped around the first time rates were significantly lower with most other carriers, Gieco and Progressive being cheapest. A year or so later when I shopped around again I was surprised that the cheaper carriers had raised their quotes to almost the same as State Farm. While they were cheaper, the hassle of changing and the fact that SF has always done us right made me stay. It is painful to see that ACH out of my checking each month though.

If you can, avoid the 1k deductible. That just makes a policy not very practical if you have collision and comprehension coverage. Even 500 is too steep. Shop around.

Honestly, I think that's the opposite of what you should do. You should never buy insurance products for services that you can easily afford to cover on short notice, which includes deductibles. Low deductibles will cost significantly more money in the long run. That's true for health insurance, homeowners, or auto. When you call a company, ask for a quote with different deductible levels. What you will find is that you will save significant amounts of money up until a certain point (typically ~$1000 for auto and $2500 homeowners). After that point there is little in regards to premium savings by increasing the deductible. You want to be at that inflection point, assuming you can tolerate the risk associated with that deductible level.

Even if you have a low deductible for homeowners or auto and you have small loss that is roughly double your deductible, it may be more advantageous to pay that out of pocket. Any claims history follows you for several years and will increase premiums in the future. For example, If you have a $1000 homeowner's deductible and your $1500 TV is stolen, don't file a claim. While they may give you $500 back, you also now have a claim associated with your name that will follow you if you were to ever switch policies or companies.

Also, my last two pieces of advice for insurance: First, go to an independent agent that can hit several companies up for quotes. There is a wide range of companies out there, many of which don't advertise on TV and offer better claims service in the event of a loss. Secondly, bundle everything together (auto, home, life, umbrella, jewelry, etc). Most companies give decent discounts when you have multiple policies.

Reactions: D.E.
I tried to get a quote through AAA for Travellers Ins. It took over a week to get a correct quote. They gave me one quote, then changed it higher but agent couldn't explain what was going on. Then there was another change again with the agent still in the dark as to why. I have Geico and 6 month premium for Tesla and Volt is $1250, the Tesla being $860 of that.. I'm still looking.