Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S P100D Delivery Disaster ****

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have yet to spend upwards of $100k on a highend automobile, but I imagine that when I do, I will expect it to be delivered in the same pristine condition the OP expected. Misaligned panels, headlights and paint defects are barely forgivable in the sub $20k market.

I'm glad to hear that Tesla intends to make good, and the showroom manager has changed her tune and decided to provide decent customer service instead of stonewalling. I certainly hope they deliver this time.

I would expect any car, from a base model Kia to a Lamborghini, be delivered in pristine condition. Fortunately, my S90 was.

Any manufacturing defects should be caught at the factory and corrected prior to shipment. All companies have departments to catch defects - they are generally called "Quality Assurance" or some variation of that.
Since delivery, I've had only one minor issue that was built into the car, for which the driver's seat had to be replaced. Some of the software updates have been a bit problematic, and the USB player is hiccup-prone and generally full of bugs, but those are post-delivery issues (which software Quality Control should prevent from getting into the fleet, but that's life).

The only other complaint I might have is that the windshield seems to be a stone magnet.

Tesla is already known for not having the best clearances / alignments. And adding options to an $80k car to make it a $180k car will not improve the assembly quality. With many, many Tesla cars (also in pictures) I saw e.g. doors not being perfectly in line. So some misalignments are to be expected when buying a Tesla (unfortunately so far).
I am not sure for US but my understanding is that typically manufacturers of any product will get the chance to repair in case they deliver a defect product. And only in case they are not able to fix you can return or ask for a replacement.
And misalignment of hood and painting are only optical issues (which can even easily be fixed) and have no effect on the malfunction of the car.
If you want best assembly quality, you need to look elsewhere. I also want a perfect looking car, but the excitement for Tesla comes from somewhere else, definitely not for getting best in class (assembly) quality.

Reactions: davidc18
I do not blame the OP at all.

This is completely unacceptable from Tesla and it's more common than not.

The apologists that say this is "common" have already "normalized" these quality issues and is now overlooking them..

I for one, do not want this to be NORMAL for a Tesla vehicle. We should expect the same quality control you'd get from Toyota or Honda.

Tesla is cranking out cars and they are NOT PROPERLY QC'ng THEM, and every service pesonnel at Tesla KNOWS it.

For any new Tesla buyer to have to put up with this is complete nonsense.

I'm actually very surprised that Tesla offered to build the OP a new car... and the fact that they are offering him a loaner is a small consolation.

The "you should've" crowd have already downgraded their expectations of Tesla to the point where this is OK. If that's the case, let's be completely honest to all new Tesla would-be buyers and let them clearly know...

" YOUR NEW VEHICLE HAS A VERY STRONG CHANCE THAT IT MAY HAVE SOME PROBLEMS FROM THE DAY OF DELIVERY - BUYER BEWARE - BUT DON'T WORRY, WE'LL GET IT FIXED EVENTUALLY. WE'RE A NEW CAR COMPANY SO WE BEG YOUR PATIENCE."

Man, every time i read posts like this -- and there seem to be altogether too many of them, given that Tesla's been building the same model car for more than 4 years -- I thank my lucky stars! My lowly 70D had no defects that I noticed on delivery, and I have only had 2 or 3 very trivial problems pop up in the 18 months since then, all easily corrected.

Either mine was built on the correct day of the week, or I am missing stuff that other people notice, or maybe I was just lucky! Or possibly there really are not that many delivery problems, but we hear about most of them, giving the impression of high rates of QC failures. Hard to know which is the case....

My 70D is also nearly perfect, but my interaction with Tesla this year has not been top notch.
I have a general feeling that there is some truth to all these stories.
And that Tesla's quality control has gone down.

I bought the cheapest Tesla I could to give it a try, with the idea that I'll upgrade in a year or two.
I am glad I didn't, although I got close!