TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2017 Model S - Removing Front Bumper cover

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Thiago, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Thiago

Thiago S75D

So, I've been fortunate enough to be able to take delivery of my model S a couple of months ago in time for Summer. Also fortunate enough to not freak out when my girlfriend had a hiccup and hit the garage door while exiting the building.
    Sh!t happens.

Long story short, the bumper cover broke where it attaches to the car and is no longer aligned correctly. I managed to refit it almost to its original position (less than 0.5cm out on the driver's side) but soon after the incident, the autopilot completely ceased to work.

Upon a visit to the SC, and an attempt to recalibrate the autopilot, I was informed that because of the alignment not being perfect, the radar and sensors feel something is not right and after 8 attempts to calibrate, stop trying and stop working altogether.

Now, I am not in a position to spend the money Tesla is asking me to replace the cover completely and execute the service (500 parts + 500 paint + 500 labour = around 1550 USD) but I would like to try and adjust the bumper myself and potentially calibrate the radars.

Question: Have I understood correctly that upon switching the car on, the radar will attempt to calibrate 8 times and then shut down if unsuccessful? Will it attempt this every time the car is switched on even if it failed to calibrate previously?

Has anyone attempted this procedure or has seen a reliable tutorial of someone successfully doing this on the new facelift model S?

Happy days.