TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2017 Model X 100D Supercharger capped at 100kW

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ytwytw, Jun 26, 2019.

1. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

After 2019.20.1 update, I found my 2017 Model X 100D supercharger speed is capped at 100kW

no matter what kind of the condition when I start the charge, the max speed is always 100kW

It doesnt matter what SoC when I starts the charger (Tried from 5%, or from 15%, or from 25%)

Also I always use navigation to set supercharger as destination and hopefully pre-condition kicks in (but I dont know its actually working or not)

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 10.20.01 pm.png

Currently odo 70000km

2. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Have you been using a lot of SuC on this car? For long term battery protection I believe Tesla permanently caps the charge rate once you reach a certain threshold of SuC usage. I don't know what that threshold is though I'm afraid.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Obvious question: have you been to different Superchargers since the update?

4. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

I have tried with 10 different supercharger sites, model 3 are able to pull 135kW out of it but I am capped at 100kW even im the only one charging at the location

5. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

I use about twice a month, most time charge at work/home with LV2

and according to this, 100D is not affected

6. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

Bump

No one have similar problems?

7. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Just did a charge on my 100 ..I’m on 20.4.2 ~ 25k miles ..I SC about 3 times a month ...L2 the rest and I hit 149kwh at two diff ones ..everyone’s situation will vary ..:(..unfortunately Tesla hasn’t been too transparent with throttling etc

8. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

AFAIK, only the 90 kWh and some 75 kwh packs are known to be affected by charge throttling.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

I wonder the threshold is so high for the 100 pack.

The terrible Tesla service aren’t helpful...

Too difficult to escalate

10. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Pre raven 100s supposed to get 150 ..I have seen it once ..but more gimmick as doesn’t hold long ..I have held steady at 140 for a longer taper and I think that is definitely improvement ;)

• Like x 1
  11. ChadS

ChadS Last tank of gas: March 2009. EV miles: 254,000

We just finished a 6,500 mile road trip in a 2017 X 100D. Despite temperatures mostly in the 90s and most driving around 80mph, we usually saw 139 to 143kW on plugging in.

Sometimes the rate ramped down quickly, but at least a couple of times it stayed over 130 past half full.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

90 from 2016. Used to get up to 104, now no more than 94, often max 92. Taper starts later than it used to, 60% instead of 50%.

13. Kenz

Kenz Member

Sounds like you have been doing a lot of SuperCharging or charging to 100%.
    It is best to charge at home or work (L2) and max to 90% if possible.
    Supercharging often or charging to 100% is bad for the long term health of the battery.
    Sounds like this is Tesla's way to protect the battery if people that own the vehicle don't.
    SuperChargers are meant for road trips. Everyone should have a L2 charger at home or work.

14. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I can confirm that on a 75kW pack, the cap existed at 90kW. Realistically, my average charge rate was around 85-88kW, rarely touching even 90kW.

I'm slightly behind you on the odometer. My car is almost 3 years old at this point. Having a 75D and occasionally towing, I charge to 100% with some regularity at a frequency of about 2-3x/mo. I will also run it down to 2% on occasion. My battery degradation is at 3% of max.

I find the supercharging sweet zone for my car to be between 20%-80%. Above or below and it tends to taper on the SC. I also find that my SC rates remain more consistent in cooler weather, and spikes more often in extremely hot weather.

That being said, on 2019.20.21, I found mt 90kW cap was removed. I got 125kW - 402mi/hr and was quite happy. Yours being a 100D should definitely pull more than 100kW, put in a service call for a battery health check and a charging system evaluation.

[​IMG]

15. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

Thanks for your info.
    I’m trying another service center now and hopefully they can be more helpful than just telling me go away.

I went to my usual Toronto Lawrence SC for the 3rd time regarding the supercharger speed capped issue
    They are asking me to supply supercharger date time and log and they will get back to me, and I already did that for the pervious two visits and they said they cannot find it and just ask me to give them again.

“As long as the car can be charged on supercharger, there is no problem”
    —said by the service reception

“You car is fine sir”, another service guy came over, “100kW is pretty fast sir, that’s the normal speed”.

But I was telling him, “I am used to getting 118kW stable and, as free installing the update, not only I am not getting 140kW speed but also speed is capped at 100kW”

“Your car is the older model, only the new Raven version is capable for that sir.”

I’m just frustrated, they are supposed to the professional and know those stuff, why they are not willing to just check the fact ?!

16. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

Sure but data please.
    Tesla support don’t even bother to look into it.
    What’s the definition of often or a lot?
    I accept the explanation of protecting battery but it gonna be some reason to cap the speed.

Btw I only charge to 80% max day to day, unless going to cottage or Kingston

17. Sunshine State

Sunshine State Automotive Enthusiast

My sons ‘16 90 has been charging very close to 145-150kw since the last update. This was today.

1573EE01-0C57-47C9-A504-7FB7B8487B2B.jpeg

• Like x 1
  18. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

They’re sort of correct. I never hit 140kW. But my plenty old (previously) MX60D hit 125kW. Your 2017 should hit those too. Feel free to PM me if you need any more screenshots info etc.

You’d have to go to the AP1 to get lower charging speeds. My 2016 AP1 is on 2019.8.5 and still charging at 85kW. I’m not sure if that’s because it hasn’t updated though or if it’s not eligible for the update.

19. Sunshine State

Sunshine State Automotive Enthusiast

My sons S is an AP1 and it has been right around 150kw as show above.

20. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Thank you. Is your AP1 on 2019.20? Mine hasn’t updated recently.