TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2017 Model X 100D Supercharger capped at 100kW

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ytwytw, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Sunshine State

Sunshine State Automotive Enthusiast

2. animorph

animorph Active Member

I've got a little over 150 Supercharges on my 2017 X. We're still getting 140 kW peak as of the last charge.

3. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

That wont work. The sc cant be your destination. Your destination must be BEYOND the sc, and routed through it.

4. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I think it works if you’re in the yellow. I had no build up time the several times I was yellow and my destination was the SC.

5. puritan

puritan Member

2018 March 100D here. Heavy use (>100 miles/day, did 35000 miles last year).

My rate is capped at 105kW (down from 118kW) since the latest update. I was a heavy supercharger user as I lived in an apartment (like a lot of Tesla owners do in Silicon Valley) that didn't provide EV charging.

Now I charge for 30 mins at the SC (in the dead of the night)regardless of rate, drive home and hook it up to a 110v/12A outlet. Get around 40 miles more overnight.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

This kind of makes sense. Is this documented somewhere I missed?

7. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

It was, Im just not sure where I read it... It specifically said "supercharger can not be final destination"

8. David99

David99 Active Member

Please try to find the source. This makes no sense. That would be a terrible limitation.

9. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Not correct .. I have charged a few times >140 with the SC being my destination;)

10. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

I didn't say it won't charge at 140, I said it's not designed to "preheat" unless your destination is routed through an sc.

11. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

This is what you said in post “The sc cant be your destination...” ;)

“ It specifically said "supercharger can not be final destination”

12. Tes1aOwner

Tes1aOwner Member

I have a P100D and it mostly starts charging around 135, give or take and holds that until above 50%.

What bugs me is that Tesla is doing such a terrible job of support. Tesla owners here like to talk about how great the cars are and how amazing the technology is. But when you have problems Tesla can be a major PITA. No one seems to be getting the word out to potential buyers. Presently the only thing Tesla cares about is selling cars. The only way to get Tesla to change their treatment of owners with service problems is to make it an issue with new buyers.

13. focher

focher Member

We have an Aug/Sep 2017 X 100D. Charged on Friday at an SC (that was set as my destination) and got 140 for awhile before tapering started.

14. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

Let me CLARIFY: For PRECONDITIONING/HEATING TO WORK, The sc cant be your destination. This does not mean in your specific trip you won't get 140kwh charge (or greater), it means that the battery wont PREHEAT (go out of it's way to get you a faster charge) if you arent going anywhere after you charge.

Now this being Tesla, that could have changed already lol :-/

• Funny x 1
  15. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

It sure would be nice to know where you saw this. I searched TMC and came up short.

If Tesla's goal with the battery warmup is to decrease charging time in order to free up chargers, it would not make sense to only do this for through charging. A charger occupied regardless of where the final destination is is still a charger occupied.

• Like x 1
  16. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

I agree 100% and for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it (release notes maybe?)

17. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

Feel like we are on the same boat.
    I’m trying to estimate how many kWh charges are needed to get capped.
    im not exclusively charging my car at SC but more than average users.

18. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

That is the purpose but meant for the winter.
    Summer day like recently are not enough that the battery is already over 30C when parked overnight.
    It doesn’t make sense to preheat battery since it’s warm enough
    It makes big difference in winter since on-route preheat ensure max possible speed when arrive SC, and it does reduce charging time in WINTER

19. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

The worse problem? They are too many model 3s on the street now and service center are overloaded.
    I have a good relationship with my local sc, but at the end of the day, my car charges and it drives, it means no problem.
    Slow charging isn’t a problem to them, even we think they are and they are too busy to care your not-a-problem problem

20. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

going through my teslafi charging summary.
    I have 5558 kWh on CHAdeMo
    and 8235 kWh on Supercharger
    and 9203 kWh on AC

it may not be the complete report but I think Supercharger speed is capped after around 10000 kWh of DC charger