Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model X 100D Supercharger capped at 100kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted this earlier today on a different thread under Battery and Charging. Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges - Electrek

If you check the video from YouTube Byron, the 100 battery did not have supercharging speed limited even after lots of DC sessions. Tesla introduced it during 2019.12 or 14 updates without telling anyone.

We need to know the amount of dc chargers that starts to cap and if there’s more speed cap coming when the number goes higher.

Fun fact:
75D is supercharging much faster after the update than the 100D with supercharger speed cap.

Chadmeo is still fine as it’s only 48kW speed, but it does contribute to the dc session

It sure would be nice to know where you saw this. I searched TMC and came up short.

If Tesla's goal with the battery warmup is to decrease charging time in order to free up chargers, it would not make sense to only do this for through charging. A charger occupied regardless of where the final destination is is still a charger occupied.

I don’t think this is correct. The SC can be the destination. Here’s the section from Tesla’s blog (bold emphasis mine):

On-Route Battery Warmup
New Supercharging infrastructure isn’t the only way we are improving our customers’ charging experience. Beginning this week, Tesla is rolling out a new feature called On-Route Battery Warmup. Now, whenever you navigate to a Supercharger station, your vehicle will intelligently heat the battery to ensure you arrive at the optimal temperature to charge, reducing average charge times for owners by 25%.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I've asked Tesla to take a look at my Supercharging speed (currently down to 105kW) and battery condition next week during a service appointment, with a view to going to arbitration if my unlimited Supercharging has been limited without notification or consent. I'll let you know how I go.

Well, that took a while longer than I thought, thanks to a global pandemic. ;)

Here's what Tesla Service Burlingame had to say on the matter:
we performed remote diagnostics on your Supercharging concern & were unable to verify any faults or concerns with your vehicle's systems at this time.

In other words, after 40K miles, Supercharging speed dropping from max 150kW to 108kW is "working as designed". Sigh.

I'll probably try the Van Ness SC again next time I'm there; last year they said they'd need to get it up on a stand to take a look to work out if there was a problem (curiously quite different to the Burlingame SC). Due to the pandemic and contention for the stands, I decided to wait that out and ended up at Burlingame for another reason.

There are a lot of posts here concerning this. This is what I posted a few days ago here: Is Unlimited Supercharging Speed Limited?
It is always good to list the SW version you are on. Interesting that they don't explain it better. It has more to do with the total amount of DC charging. I am still waiting to hear from more people on my version to see if their charging limit has been lifted.

"I had been limited to no more than 108 kwh charging for some time, with a rate of around 60 kwh once over 50% and dropping fast. I have over 15,000 kwh of DC charging since most of my usage is traveling. On 12/26/2020 I updated to 2020.48.26 software and immediately noticed 155 kwh charging again as well as higher rates above 50% than I have seen in a while. I didn't know if this was a fluke or not, but I continued on my trip from MA to FL a few days later and noticed high speed charging along the way. Still receiving this today. Hopefully Tesla has revisited the charging rate limitations or the effects to the batteries and this stays the same. I don't know if I should reject future updates until I find out if others have had this experience, and to make sure future updates don't restrict it again."

• Informative
Reactions: 21five
In other words, after 40K miles, Supercharging speed dropping from max 150kW to 108kW is "working as designed".
As other poster noted the latest software update brought speeds back
798611C4-4E75-44F0-9E89-381E3F4471AC.png

• Love
Reactions: 21five
I have gotten 150-165kw from v3 SuC's, and 120-145kw from v2. I have stopped charging from SuC's this week until I hear more stories from people with 2020.48.26 and 2020.48.30.. Mostly if 3030.48.30 brought back the limit, or if anyone above 2020.48.26 is still limited because they perhaps have even more SuC use than the previous cutoff. I am a bit over 16,000 kwh of charging on DC. If you are at 2020.48.26 or above and still limited, and know how many miles or kwh of DC charging, please post information here.

I have stopped charging from SuC's this week until I hear more stories from people with 2020.48.26 and 2020.48.30.
One more voice that it looks like the cap has been removed.
Sept 2017 100D MX with D battery
41,900 miles

I had last peaked at about 107 kW when on 2020.48.10. Today peaked at 138 kW at 28% SOC at a 150 kW SC. Also went to a nearby 250 kW charger and saw slightly over 150 kW at 31% SOC. I think it would have been higher if I were at a lower SOC. I had only once previously charged at a 250 kW charger and my peak was < 140 kW then. So not only is the cap lifted to restore the old charging rate, it looks like faster charging at V3 stations is now allowed.

The biggest question I have now is whether this change stems from engineering or the legal department? Did they relook at data and determine there is no significant benefit to the cap or did the lawyers say to quit limiting people’s cars after they have been purchased?

• Informative
Reactions: 21five and P85_DA
The biggest question I have now is whether this change stems from engineering or the legal department? Did they relook at data and determine there is no significant benefit to the cap or did the lawyers say to quit limiting people’s cars after they have been purchased?

Why not both? I suspect the original driver was a risk of increased powertrain warranty claims, but another ~18 months of data suggests that won’t be an issue. Wasn’t someone trying a class action as well?

I’d add in balancing potential future warranty liability against reducing the time older vehicles spend charging from a low SoC, in turn lowering the capital cost for building out new Superchargers. Tesla are exceptionally good at booking revenue now and deferring costs until later.

One more voice that it looks like the cap has been removed.

And another! Dec 2017 Model S 100D, capped to 108kW since August 2019 (~40K miles, 14,000kWh). Now at ~60K miles, 20,000kWh. Charging at v3 Supercharger at 150kW today from ~20%, tapering to 120kW at 35%, 90kW at 50%. Definitely a sharper drop off compared to when capped (perhaps heat related, although it’s only 57F out), but probably still faster charge overall from a low SoC.

889BDAA3-9664-4AC0-B02E-5732A5EFB4FF.jpeg

Reactions: P85_DA
Why not both? I suspect the original driver was a risk of increased powertrain warranty claims, but another ~18 months of data suggests that won’t be an issue. Wasn’t someone trying a class action as well?

I’d add in balancing potential future warranty liability against reducing the time older vehicles spend charging from a low SoC, in turn lowering the capital cost for building out new Superchargers. Tesla are exceptionally good at booking revenue now and deferring costs until later.

And another! Dec 2017 Model S 100D, capped to 108kW since August 2019 (~40K miles, 14,000kWh). Now at ~60K miles, 20,000kWh. Charging at v3 Supercharger at 150kW today from ~20%, tapering to 120kW at 35%, 90kW at 50%. Definitely a sharper drop off compared to when capped (perhaps heat related, although it’s only 57F out), but probably still faster charge overall from a low SoC.

View attachment 635314
I was able to hit 173kw a couple of weeks ago at a V3 SC. I drive a 4/2017 build MX 100D.

We just finished a 6,500 mile road trip in a 2017 X 100D. Despite temperatures mostly in the 90s and most driving around 80mph, we usually saw 139 to 143kW on plugging in.

Sometimes the rate ramped down quickly, but at least a couple of times it stayed over 130 past half full.
I’ve been seeing the same response. As the batteries heat up and take a charge the battery a/c (yes there’s a separate cooling system for the batteries. I saw it in a body shop front end disassembled one left and one right for interior cooling and batteries cooling, cool! ) ramps up as the car charges. It keeps up to a point and when the pack starts heating past a certain point it tapers off Kw charging rate. Seems perfectly logical to save battery life, wish my iPhone had it. And glad the car does it until they make a pack that doesn’t heat up when pushing 150w continuously. GO TESLA! Btw the reduction in a full charge might be an additional 10 minutes time. If I can get 100,000 more miles out of a battery pack it’s worth it for me and the next owner.