Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model X drawing 40A on a 30A circuit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model X. Whenever I plug in the Mobile Connector and begin charging, it will automatically start drawing 40A from a 30A circuit (Dryer). This will cause the breaker to trip after about 5 min (unless I manually reset the breaker). But I have to do this every time. Is there a way to have the car always start drying the correct Amps from the get-go instead of having to reset/trip the breaker every time?

I've already tried limiting the charging Amps to 30A in the car's settings, but it still automatically starts drawing 40A.

My setup: Dryer Outlet ---> N10-30 plug ---> 50 ft. extension ---> Universal Mobile Connector (P/N: 1058221-01-G)

Any and all information/tips is greatly appreciated! Thanks

I have a 2017 Model X. Whenever I plug in the Mobile Connector and begin charging, it will automatically start drawing 40A from a 30A circuit (Dryer). This will cause the breaker to trip after about 5 min (unless I manually reset the breaker). But I have to do this every time. Is there a way to have the car always start drying the correct Amps from the get-go instead of having to reset/trip the breaker every time?

I've already tried limiting the charging Amps to 30A in the car's settings, but it still automatically starts drawing 40A.

My setup: Dryer Outlet ---> N10-30 plug ---> 50 ft. extension ---> Universal Mobile Connector (P/N: 1058221-01-G)

You need to go to the Tesla shop to buy the correct adapter with correct Ampere then your car will always set to that correct Amperes.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks for the reply. Which adapter are you referring? the Mobile Connector? or the N10-30 plug?
Some thing like this

Attachments

• IMG_20220605_125306.jpg
    IMG_20220605_125306.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Helpful

The original UMC will pull its maximum 40 amps by default with the 14-50 adapter. Though you can purchase a Tesla adapter set up for an 14-30 (sets it to 24 amps). If you are not using the Tesla adapter, you can manually set the rate to 24 amps before you begin, or during the ramp up, the car will remember the GPS location so you won't need to set the rate the next time you visit the same location. In my case, that is my daughters driveway.

The original UMC will pull its maximum 40 amps by default with the 14-50 adapter....
That's the wrong adapter with the wrong Amperes settings for a dryer outlet.

It's possible to dial it down manually as a temporary measure but it is unsafe as cited in this thread. There's no guarantee that manually dialing it down would consistently work as proven by this thread.

• Love
You need to get either those above adapters in the place o

It's possible to dial it down manually as a temporary measure but it is unsafe as cited in this thread. There's no guarantee that manually dialing it down would consistently work as proven by this thread.
I just checked, and I do have an adapter there where you have XXXX. But, it's a 125/250V AC 50A (USN 14-50). Is there, or would I need to get a 30A adapter?

Attachments

• IMG_9613.jpg
    IMG_9613.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 58
Few things.

Use the right adapter...30 amp (NEMA 10-30) Tesla branded adapter.
Better yet...don't use your dryer outlet and get a 50 amp circuit installed.
Don't pull 30 amps on a 30 amp circuit. You're risking a fire... especially when using an extension cord.

Since your car is a 2017, You probably have a GEN1 UMC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220605-141150.png
    Screenshot_20220605-141150.png
    211.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Helpful
I just checked, and I do have an adapter there where you have XXXX. But, it's a 125/250V AC 50A (USN 14-50)....
That's the wrong and unsafe 50A adapter for your dryer outlet. You can do that unsafely for some time but bad things might catch up later.

The correct one is on message #5. It has 2 nice straight blades and one crooked blade.

If your dryer outlet is within reach, I don't see the need for the extension cord.

If you do use extension cord, make sure the 2 ends accommodate 30A with a crooked blade/crooked hole.

Reactions: dbldwn02
That's the wrong and unsafe 50A adapter for your dryer outlet. You can do that unsafely for some time but bad things might catch up later.

The correct one is on message #5. It has 2 nice straight blades and one crooked blade.

If your dryer outlet is within reach, I don't see the need for the extension cord.

If you do use extension cord, make sure the 2 ends accommodate 30A with a crooked blade/crooked hole.
Thanks for all the help! I'll make sure to put together the correct and safe setup.

This is correct of course. But I have one of the EVSI extension cords that does not have the neutral pin. So it can be used for 30 amp or 50 amp circuits. I use this on an exception basis. Very easy to drop down to 24 amps, which is remembered by location. Not really that unsafe. If I attempt to draw more than 30 amps, the breaker will pop. In a new location, it is pretty easy to drop the rate during the slow uptick of current.

...If I attempt to draw more than 30 amps, the breaker will pop...
I am not an electrician but that statement above seems to be unsafe.

It's just like don't worry, it's very easy and my car airbags will be deployed. No one dies and it's not really that unsafe.

The first line of defense is to make sure everything else is done like buckle your seat belt, drive in good weather, have a clear vision, have good attention, have good brakes... and not depend on the airbags by driving in an icy, zero visibility foggy highway

The circuit breaker should be the last defense when all else fails. That means you need to do everything else correctly in the first place.

The correct thing to do here is to spend $45 on a Tesla dryer outlet adapter. That's how it is designed: You use it and your car can never go higher than 24A. Just that simple. Time after time.

The wrong thing to do here is to use a 50A adapter for a dryer outlet. That's not how it is designed. Thus, you have to manually dial down the Amperes in your car to make sure it doesn't go higher than 24A.

In theory, it's very easy to dial down once and we are all set. In reality, it is not foolproof. How do we know it's not? Because the circuit breakers keep tripping. Not just in this thread but in others too.

Thus, doing the wrong way can work but you are putting yourself at unnecessary risk just because you don't want to pay $45 to do the right thing.

• Love
I am not an electrician but that statement above seems to be unsafe.
I wouldn’t consider it particularly unsafe, that is why you have the 30 amp breaker. The car ramps up slowly to 40, you should have plenty of time to set the max rate to 24.
It's just like don't worry, it's very easy and my car airbags will be deployed. No one dies and it's not really that unsafe.

The first line of defense is to make sure everything else is done like buckle your seat belt, drive in good weather, have a clear vision, have good attention, have good brakes... and not depend on the airbags by driving in an icy, zero visibility foggy highway

The circuit breaker should be the last defense when all else fails. That means you need to do everything else correctly in the first place.
There is no comparison to deploying your airbags. Deploying airbags destroys the vehicle and may cause injury. A blown breaker just stops.

I agree buying the dryer outlet adapter is the best solution. But it really isn’t a big deal to just drop back the rate. It depends on whether this is a regular occurrence, or just a one off, to get going. I very rarely use my backup kit. But I have a plethora of adapters, many home made, and I carry a 30 ft extension cord with no neutral on end, and a 50 amp connector on the other. Whenever I need to use that cord, I know I have to think about and set the charging rate appropriately. In seven years of owning a Tesla, I have used that setup maybe 6 times. Not a regular thing in any case. Emergency use only.