Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model X hit hard while parked - totalled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all -

Long time reader, first time poster, as they say.

Signed up to get y'all's opinion about whether my Model X is repairable or not - it was hit while street parked front of my house today by a driver that simply lost control and plowed into it in broad daylight.

The left rear is pretty banged up. The wheel is completely detached. Rear bumper, and left gull wing door will need work. Lots of sheet metal and paint work back there. There's some bending of the sheet metal up under the wheel arch a little bit, too.

I have a call into Severn Auto Body in Annapolis, MD that did a small fender bender front bumper repair in February - that took about 45 days to get fixed from start to finish and I'm terrified of how long this is going to take, if it is economically repairable.

I have minimal experience with severe impacts - it doesn't seem OBVIOUSLY totalled to me but again, I'm not sure with these cars -- photos are attached.

It's a 2017 Model X 100D with just over 50,000 miles, six seats, FSD, premium interior. I have State Farm and the car lives in Washington, DC.

I'd appreciate any insight or suggestions you guys have. Thanks in advance.

IMG_5055.JPG

IMG_5057.JPG

IMG_5059.JPG
IMG_5060.JPG

IMG_5063 2.JPG

IMG_5064 2.JPG

Looks like a pretty solid hit. I would not be surprised it this is totaled. As you point out considerable body damage. Looks like the tire got hit hard enough to jam it up into the wheel well and broke structure in the rear arm mount points. I can't image this did the rear motor any good.

Glad you are OK.

Brother, as a fellow 2017 Model X 100 D Six Seater FSD owner, my heart breaks for you. Looks totaled. At 5 years old, it’s not a high bar to total an X due to the repair costs.

You have to post the Sentry Mode video of the a**hole who hit your X. Hopefully it caught the license so you can go after that guy.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Brother, as a fellow 2017 Model X 100 D Six Seater FSD owner, my heart breaks for you. Looks totaled. At 5 years old, it’s not a high bar to total an X due to the repair costs.

You have to post the Sentry Mode video of the a**hole who hit your X. Hopefully it caught the license so you can go after that guy.

Yeah - my shop that I used last got back to me and said they think it's very repairable, which I'm ambivalent about. Figuring out how to get another one of these at any sort of reasonable price seems daunting. I bought mine used from Tesla directly in December of 2020 and I think I got a good price and it seems to me it's worth $15-20k more now at minimum for comparable replacement value.

If it's repairable, I think it's going to take 4-6 months and the car will never be the same - lots of the current panel joints are all jacked up. Definitely going to have to figure out some sort of diminished value claim here.

I have video - not from sentry because I didn't have that on unfortunately for battery drain purposes, but from my front house camera that caught the moment of impact (through a ton of foliage! - but you get the drift -- dude just smokes the car in broad daylight for no discernible reason.

Yeah - my shop that I used last got back to me and said they think it's very repairable, which I'm ambivalent about. Figuring out how to get another one of these at any sort of reasonable price seems daunting. I bought mine used from Tesla directly in December of 2020 and I think I got a good price and it seems to me it's worth $15-20k more now at minimum for comparable replacement value.

If it's repairable, I think it's going to take 4-6 months and the car will never be the same - lots of the current panel joints are all jacked up. Definitely going to have to figure out some sort of diminished value claim here.

I have video - not from sentry because I didn't have that on unfortunately for battery drain purposes, but from my front house camera that caught the moment of impact (through a ton of foliage! - but you get the drift -- dude just smokes the car in broad daylight for no discernible reason.

Wow. That’s a hard hit and as you said, for no good reason.

Were you able to get their insurance info? Hopefully it’s legit.

As for the X, I’d be somewhat surprised if it’s totaled, actually. Even $40 or $50k of repairs would be less than the vehicle’s book value. Given how crazy hot the X is on the market right now, that probably works in your favor to keep the vehicle.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about post-repair issues. It’s genuinely incredible what a good body shop can do.

Now, if this toolbag twisted the chassis, it’s game over. And don’t worry about what you paid for it; the insurance company has to pay you net present value. Which will be significantly higher than what you paid.

I'd involve the insurance company - ours had sent a tow (flat bed) to their shop and had assessed the cost.

USAA assessor deemed ours (Sept 2019 Model X; accident in Feb 2020) totaled and first valued low ($70Kish) but came to $92K after I pointed out their comparison was not accurate (missed 6 seats vs 5; low mileage, etc).

Hopefully this gets sorted out fast and in your favor. 🤞