TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2017 model X HW3 and MCU2 upgrade

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Optimistix, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Optimistix

Optimistix Member

Just scheduled my appointment to upgrade from HW2 to HW 3 and MCU2 upgrade. The HW 3 upgrade is free but the MCU 2 upgrade is 2500. I think it's totally worht the upgrade. I have been happy with autopilot and driving most of my miles with it

2. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

• Like x 2
  3. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

Let us know how it goes. I want to do same thing for our 6/17 x. I get the hw3 free but want mcu2 also. Let us know if you think worth 2500

• Love x 1
  4. Optimistix

Optimistix Member

I already believe it is worth and just got the estimate it's 10% off if you prefer to use your original screen. Mine is in good condition so I will get it for 2250. The entire screen performance with the new mcu2 is very fast. Checked the newer ones on a friend's car. And I think Tesla theater is worth it , specially when supercharging on road trips. I'll keep you posted .scheduled for the 23rd.

5. Optimistix

Optimistix Member

• Like x 1
  6. Hwood

Hwood Member

Have you asked Tesla that those the same screen spec? Same resolution, ppi etc...

7. Optimistix

Optimistix Member

Yes, Tesla says there isn't any change to the screen hardware.

8. Hwood

Hwood Member

Got my MX back today with FSD upgrade. Autopilot feel more robust.

not receive any invite for MCU2 upgrade yet, do I need to ask service center to upgrade? I talked to service advisor, who told me to purchase through Tesla website, looked around, didn’t find anywhere can buy MCU2 upgrade

9. Optimistix

Optimistix Member

The MCU 2 upgrade will not show up in your app, you can make a service appointment through the app describing the request and they will get back to you. ordering the equipment takes about 3 weeks.

10. Saxman

Saxman Member

My MCU2 & HW3 UPGRADE is scheduled for July 15.

When should I expect the estimate emailed prior to appointment?

11. GoldenBasis

GoldenBasis Member

I got the estimate within 24 hours of creating the request in the app. I am also booked for July 15th. The Canadian price is $3510 + tax for MCU2 upgrade with new screen.

12. Saxman

Saxman Member

Thanks Goldenbasis

When did you first schedule app appointment?

13. GoldenBasis

GoldenBasis Member

I booked it at 9:30 am on Jun 29th for mobile service on July 2nd.
    Received written estimate for approval at 13:10 same day.
    On July 2nd, got early call saying the parts were not in stock and that they would need to schedule me to local service center on July 15th. They seemed confident that the parts would be available in plenty of time.

We'll see

14. Byegas

Byegas Member

#14 Byegas, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    I just had mine finished the other day. (MCU2/HW3). I will say it was worth every penny! Everything is lightning quick now, AP can handle challenges a lot more smoothly now. Going to work which is half highway and half stoplights was a whole new experience with the latest firmware(2020.24.6.4). Navigate on Autopilot was confident and stoplight feature on a busy street was flawless. Felt refreshed getting out of the car.

This upgrade was like going from a Celeron to a Pentium 4:) And the screen may be same specs, but to my eyes new screen is extremely bright and crisp. As someone else mentioned before, it’s almost like upgrading to a new car and is much cheaper than trading in. Highly recommended!

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. jflaplante

jflaplante Member

I did that upgrade (HW3/MCU2) on my 2017 X75D last June in Canada. It felt good to get back at the popular kids table...the ones who still get significant OTA updates! So yes it's totally worth it. There was some confusion on the price. I paid 3250$CAN wich is consistent with the usual 30% average exchange rate that Tesla uses (2500$ x 1.3 = 3250$) However, I know that they reused my original screen so I expected to pay less. I didn't want to argue and delay picking up but we did agree that an adjustment could be made at a later time.

16. T-Dough

T-Dough New Member

Love this analogy!

• Like x 1