Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 model X HW3 and MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another unexpected bonus from the upgrade: vampire drain is pretty much gone.

Ever since i have monitored the stats (fall 2019) with Teslamate, I noticed that the X very rarely went to sleep and vampire drain was about 1km per hour. I wasn't sure if this was normal or not as the forums have experiences all over the place. But since the upgrade, the car goes to sleep quite often and occasionally also goes offline. Not sure what the difference is between the tow in teslamate but I do know that vampire drain is now under 0.1km / hour. Quite a noticeable difference especially when I am not driving much these days. I was losing about 5-10% SOC per day before the upgrade and now it is 0-1% per day.
Capture_states.PNG
Before: Capture_states-before.PNG

Perhaps some default settings were changed with summon or something but whatever the cause, I am very happy with this surprise benefit.

I got my MCU2/AP3.0 done today--after 3 cancellations. Process could not have been better. In by 9 done by 3. Gave me loaner. When they gave me the estimate it was lower than expected. I asked if it included the new touch screen and he said no--but if want a new screen he would check and see if they had the part--they did, so I got a new estimate and the deed was done. Really cool seeing stoplights, stanchions, trash cans etc. Sentry mode and recording now possible. Christmas. Now to get all settings restored. Kept some data but not all. Autopilot settings need to be reset. Recalibrated in about 20 minutes/miles of freeway driving. Finally---BTW every time I drive another car, I marvel at how advanced the MX is--and I have a 2017. Is there a car that does more?

I got my MCU2/AP3.0 done today--after 3 cancellations. Process could not have been better. In by 9 done by 3. Gave me loaner. When they gave me the estimate it was lower than expected. I asked if it included the new touch screen and he said no--but if want a new screen he would check and see if they had the part--they did, so I got a new estimate and the deed was done. Really cool seeing stoplights, stanchions, trash cans etc. Sentry mode and recording now possible. Christmas. Now to get all settings restored. Kept some data but not all. Autopilot settings need to be reset. Recalibrated in about 20 minutes/miles of freeway driving. Finally---BTW every time I drive another car, I marvel at how advanced the MX is--and I have a 2017. Is there a car that does more?
How much cheaper was it to use the same screen? Was it 2500 + taxes since you got a new screen?

My July 15 MCU2/HW3 upgrade so far, went very well. I originally scheduled it for June 15 but also told that parts were not in stock.

I did not here anything until the day before my July appointment but thankfully everything was a go. I dropped off at 9am on the 15th and vehicle was ready mid afternoon on the 17th. My home is 117 miles from SC and was given a MX100 as a loaner.

I'm very pleased with the upgrade and also feel like my December 2016 MX75, is like a brand new vehicle.

I read somewhere in the Forums that the 2020.26.5 Software was handling RoundAbouts. I live in an area where Roundabouts as opposed to Stoplights are prevalent. In my short time experience, so far, my RoundAbout experience was not trustworthy.

Has anyone in this Forum experienced RoundAbouts?

Another unexpected bonus from the upgrade: vampire drain is pretty much gone.

Ever since i have monitored the stats (fall 2019) with Teslamate, I noticed that the X very rarely went to sleep and vampire drain was about 1km per hour. I wasn't sure if this was normal or not as the forums have experiences all over the place. But since the upgrade, the car goes to sleep quite often and occasionally also goes offline. Not sure what the difference is between the tow in teslamate but I do know that vampire drain is now under 0.1km / hour. Quite a noticeable difference especially when I am not driving much these days. I was losing about 5-10% SOC per day before the upgrade and now it is 0-1% per day.
View attachment 567563
Before: View attachment 567565

Perhaps some default settings were changed with summon or something but whatever the cause, I am very happy with this surprise benefit.

Did you have always connected off and power savings on your old MCU1? If not, then it would be a big difference.

Ever since i have monitored the stats (fall 2019) with Teslamate, I noticed that the X very rarely went to sleep and vampire drain was about 1km per hour....I was losing about 5-10% SOC per day before the upgrade and now it is 0-1% per day.
My 2017 model X has always had periods that it has high vampire losses, and it tends not to go back to sleep very readily. With the 2020.12.* updates, something went really haywire and I was losing 3-5% per day. Worked with SC to diagnose, and they never found anything. All was solved with 2020.24.* updates. Couldn’t be happier about how it sleeps and how low the losses are now. But that happened for me before I got the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade.
Did you have always connected off and power savings on your old MCU1? If not, then it would be a big difference.
Yes, if always connected was checked on MCU1 that would account for extremely high losses. Happy for that option to disappear with MCU2.

I have tried to use STOP SIGN feature, using both TACC and NoAP.

I see the stop sign on my dash but my MX goes right thru it without stopping. Then the dashboard goes berserk with the blaring warnings.

I turned on this feature in my AP screen after the Software update.

Am I doing something wrong?

My MCU1 screen went BLACK yesterday morning (dead), the day prior, my passenger door motor/latch failed and I setup a mobile fix 10 days in the future.. Did a drop-in service @Dublin SC, first question is does it charge, yes, blinkers work, no.

Cannot drive safely. So gotta leave it. So its getting infotainment upgrade, which is HW3, donno the MCU type I'll get. Cost is $2500 and $2300 to repair with a replacement old MCU. No brainer. I don't care about FM etc.

I expect wonders from what I hear in this thread.

Service center said I will receive email invite when I just inquired. My friends 3/17 s got the email a month ago. Maybe I’ll get invited in September
They are not doing email invites for the MCU2 upgrade any more. This site explains the process. It used to refer to email invites but no longer does. If you have the configuration that it says now scheduling, I would make an appointment for the upgrade and include this link in the request. Sometimes you have to gently educate the SC.
Infotainment Upgrade

My MCU1 screen went BLACK yesterday morning (dead), the day prior, my passenger door motor/latch failed and I setup a mobile fix 10 days in the future.. Did a drop-in service @ Dublin SC, first question is does it charge, yes, blinkers work, no.

Cannot drive safely. So gotta leave it. So its getting infotainment upgrade, which is HW3, donno the MCU type I'll get. Cost is $2500 and $2300 to repair with a replacement old MCU. No brainer. I don't care about FM etc.

I expect wonders from what I hear in this thread.
What?

"infotainment upgrade, which is HW3" - no, infotainment upgrade is MCU, would be $2500.

"$2300 to repair with a replacement old MCU" - surely this is wrong, even if you're out of warranty, if the new MCU is $2500 with screen and $2250 without screen, the old MCU shouldn't be $2300.

HW3 is free with FSD purchase, I've never heard of them selling it separately, so presumably either you have FSD and get HW3 for free or you pay for FSD and get HW3 for free, but FSD has never been a $2300 or $2500 upgrade, so not sure how you could be paying "$2500 and $2300" in any case...

So... What?

What?

"infotainment upgrade, which is HW3" - no, infotainment upgrade is MCU, would be $2500.

"$2300 to repair with a replacement old MCU" - surely this is wrong, even if you're out of warranty, if the new MCU is $2500 with screen and $2250 without screen, the old MCU shouldn't be $2300.

HW3 is free with FSD purchase, I've never heard of them selling it separately, so presumably either you have FSD and get HW3 for free or you pay for FSD and get HW3 for free, but FSD has never been a $2300 or $2500 upgrade, so not sure how you could be paying "$2500 and $2300" in any case...

So... What?
Out of warranty, and I have no FSD. Finding and replacing an MCU1 in there is the $2300, they said. I guess what ever goes with HW3 beyond what I have (in AP2), goes in for $2500, MCU2.5?

Thanks for your points. I'll be pushing them now.

Out of warranty, and I have no FSD. Finding and replacing an MCU1 in there is the $2300, they said. I guess what ever goes with HW3 beyond what I have (in AP2), goes in for $2500, MCU2.5?

Thanks for your points. I'll be pushing them now.
In that case, check out this reddit thread. Maybe the price is right, but then the question is why. Clarification would be great, so be nice and hopefully they explain it better. I suppose MCU2 could require HW2.5 and they could sell you an HW2.5 AP computer takeout from an FSD upgrade in which case your AP behavior wouldn't change. They could also sell you the HW3 AP computer without FSD, but it'd be really shady to do that without giving you the option to buy FSD at the time so you don't end up "paying for the hardware twice."

ETA: Still doesn't make sense that they'd have to replace anything else if they're giving you the MCU1. If they're upgrading you to MCU2, then there could be added costs for HW2 AP beyond the $2500 that aren't documented anywhere I've seen yet. If you're getting MCU1, could also be that something besides the MCU has failed? Definitely look for clarification, and understand MCU is either 1 or 2, with 2 having more entertainment features and an additional dashcam/sentry camera stream. AP on the other hand is 2, 2.5, and 3, with 2.5 adding dashcam capability and 3 adding FSD features only.

Put in the jump drive today. Sentry is fantastic. I never thought we would ever get this capability. Resolution and color is much better than expected. Set up and playback is EZ PEEZY. I can't believe the scope of the upgrade--speed, capability, safety, fun --It is like I have a new car.

Reactions: VikH
In that case, check out this reddit thread. Maybe the price is right, but then the question is why. Clarification would be great, so be nice and hopefully they explain it better. I suppose MCU2 could require HW2.5 and they could sell you an HW2.5 AP computer takeout from an FSD upgrade in which case your AP behavior wouldn't change. They could also sell you the HW3 AP computer without FSD, but it'd be really shady to do that without giving you the option to buy FSD at the time so you don't end up "paying for the hardware twice."

ETA: Still doesn't make sense that they'd have to replace anything else if they're giving you the MCU1. If they're upgrading you to MCU2, then there could be added costs for HW2 AP beyond the $2500 that aren't documented anywhere I've seen yet. If you're getting MCU1, could also be that something besides the MCU has failed? Definitely look for clarification, and understand MCU is either 1 or 2, with 2 having more entertainment features and an additional dashcam/sentry camera stream. AP on the other hand is 2, 2.5, and 3, with 2.5 adding dashcam capability and 3 adding FSD features only.
Thanks again for tips.
I think MCU1 replacement they wanted to avoid due to availability, hassle and getting me going. Only by phone do I hear the HW3 mentioned, but it's infotainment for sure, $2500 and I'll report later what I got. They said not to buy FSD at the moment, so let's see if a reduced amount for that happens to turn-on cool features. Actually, function and performance is more important to me than anything.

I know I'll be doing a lot more with the car than before. A dream machine

My MCU1 memory failed, it's toast. New is going to be MCU Intel HW3 upgrade - for Tegra AP2.5