Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 model X HW3 and MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just scheduled my appointment to upgrade from HW2 to HW 3 and MCU2 upgrade. The HW 3 upgrade is free but the MCU 2 upgrade is 2500. I think it's totally worht the upgrade. I have been happy with autopilot and driving most of my miles with it

I already believe it is worth and just got the estimate it's 10% off if you prefer to use your original screen. Mine is in good condition so I will get it for 2250. The entire screen performance with the new mcu2 is very fast. Checked the newer ones on a friend's car. And I think Tesla theater is worth it , specially when supercharging on road trips. I'll keep you posted .scheduled for the 23rd.

I already believe it is worth and just got the estimate it's 10% off if you prefer to use your original screen. Mine is in good condition so I will get it for 2250. The entire screen performance with the new mcu2 is very fast. Checked the newer ones on a friend's car. And I think Tesla theater is worth it , specially when supercharging on road trips. I'll keep you posted .scheduled for the 23rd.
Have you asked Tesla that those the same screen spec? Same resolution, ppi etc...

Got my MX back today with FSD upgrade. Autopilot feel more robust.

not receive any invite for MCU2 upgrade yet, do I need to ask service center to upgrade? I talked to service advisor, who told me to purchase through Tesla website, looked around, didn’t find anywhere can buy MCU2 upgrade

Got my MX back today with FSD upgrade. Autopilot feel more robust.

not receive any invite for MCU2 upgrade yet, do I need to ask service center to upgrade? I talked to service advisor, who told me to purchase through Tesla website, looked around, didn’t find anywhere can buy MCU2 upgrade

The MCU 2 upgrade will not show up in your app, you can make a service appointment through the app describing the request and they will get back to you. ordering the equipment takes about 3 weeks.

My MCU2 & HW3 UPGRADE is scheduled for July 15.

When should I expect the estimate emailed prior to appointment?

Thanks Goldenbasis

When did you first schedule app appointment?
I booked it at 9:30 am on Jun 29th for mobile service on July 2nd.
Received written estimate for approval at 13:10 same day.
On July 2nd, got early call saying the parts were not in stock and that they would need to schedule me to local service center on July 15th. They seemed confident that the parts would be available in plenty of time.

We'll see

I just had mine finished the other day. (MCU2/HW3). I will say it was worth every penny! Everything is lightning quick now, AP can handle challenges a lot more smoothly now. Going to work which is half highway and half stoplights was a whole new experience with the latest firmware(2020.24.6.4). Navigate on Autopilot was confident and stoplight feature on a busy street was flawless. Felt refreshed getting out of the car.

This upgrade was like going from a Celeron to a Pentium 4:) And the screen may be same specs, but to my eyes new screen is extremely bright and crisp. As someone else mentioned before, it’s almost like upgrading to a new car and is much cheaper than trading in. Highly recommended!

Last edited:
I did that upgrade (HW3/MCU2) on my 2017 X75D last June in Canada. It felt good to get back at the popular kids table...the ones who still get significant OTA updates! So yes it's totally worth it. There was some confusion on the price. I paid 3250$CAN wich is consistent with the usual 30% average exchange rate that Tesla uses (2500$ x 1.3 = 3250$) However, I know that they reused my original screen so I expected to pay less. I didn't want to argue and delay picking up but we did agree that an adjustment could be made at a later time.

How long did the MCU2/HW3 install take? Is it a day job? Have an appt booked this Thurs and was planning a last minute road trip the next morning. Wondering if I should reschedule but I'm so close...

How long did the MCU2/HW3 install take? Is it a day job? Have an appt booked this Thurs and was planning a last minute road trip the next morning. Wondering if I should reschedule but I'm so close...
I had it done last week. Dropped off the X at 8am and they called at 5:30pm saying it would be done by 8pm. They gave me the choice to pick it up after hours or in the morning the next day. They had originally promised it by 5pm the same day so I don't know why they missed that. They had said that they aim to get theses jobs out same day.

Reactions: Ph33zy
I had it done last week. Dropped off the X at 8am and they called at 5:30pm saying it would be done by 8pm. They gave me the choice to pick it up after hours or in the morning the next day. They had originally promised it by 5pm the same day so I don't know why they missed that. They had said that they aim to get theses jobs out same day.
I also had it done yesterday. Dropped off the X at 10am and I received a message the car was ready for pickup by 2:30pm. In addition to the MC2/HW3 upgrade, they performed the UV screen treatment, changes the air filter and reroute the main front body harness. All was done and I got the car back in mint condition. I was also expecting to return home with Uber or by bus, but had the great surprise of an S 100D loaner for the day. The Ottawa Support Center is friendly, knowledgeable and very professional. If Tesla ever run a best service center contest, Ottawa have my vote.

Reactions: VikH
Took delivery of my 3/17 USED MX w FSD(AP2/MCU1) on June 27nd and that night i scheduled an appointment for both upgrades I was scheduled for July 16th but then got a call on the 15th saying (Like A lot of other SC's) they were missing parts for the upgrades :/ , so they rescheduled me to August 4th. Hopefully the parts get in by then or better yet, prior. I enjoy my "New" car but i'm so eager to receive these Upgrades!