Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 model X HW3 and MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My July 15 MCU2/HW3 upgrade so far, went very well. I originally scheduled it for June 15 but also told that parts were not in stock.

I did not here anything until the day before my July appointment but thankfully everything was a go. I dropped off at 9am on the 15th and vehicle was ready mid afternoon on the 17th. My home is 117 miles from SC and was given a MX100 as a loaner.

I'm very pleased with the upgrade and also feel like my December 2016 MX75, is like a brand new vehicle.

I read somewhere in the Forums that the 2020.26.5 Software was handling RoundAbouts. I live in an area where Roundabouts as opposed to Stoplights are prevalent. In my short time experience, so far, my RoundAbout experience was not trustworthy.

Has anyone in this Forum experienced RoundAbouts?

Did you ever receive an email saying the parts arrived for your upgrade before the july appointment? And did you schedule it for july or did the service center schedule it with you on the phone? I was originally sched for july 16th, said parts werent there and on the phone they set up an appointment for Aug 4th as that was the soonest time. A few days ago i checked the app and there was an available time slot on July 29th so i took it. I got an email a week ago saying the parts still havent shipped so Im worried that my parts still havent arrived with my service in just a few days.

JoeBasquiet

My JUNE 15 appt was rescheduled for JULY 15 by SC, due to lack of parts. I was informed by text.

It was ONLY the day before JULY 15 appt that I was advised by text that parts were in and appt was confirmed.

Hope that helps

One issue I'm having with the upgrade. My Homelink no longer operates my Garage door opener or automatic Gate. Is this a known issue? I even tried deleting devices in Homelink and tried to reprogram. After getting the car in front of the garage I hit start--just stalls in a loop--after a minute returns the the start page. Anyone else with this problem.

I reprogrammed my homelink following the instructions exactly in the online owners manual following the MCU replacement and it worked perfectly. I never thought to try the door first when I got home.

Perhaps it didnt even need it but I cleared the old one anyways.
i noticed it was very particular about where to hold the remote when programming (watching for the headlight flash). I had to be dead center of the bumper and right up against it over the front license plate

Don't forget there are two steps:
1) car learns the remote
2) Garage door opener learns the car

I reprogrammed my homelink following the instructions exactly in the online owners manual following the MCU replacement and it worked perfectly. I never thought to try the door first when I got home.

Perhaps it didnt even need it but I cleared the old one anyways.
i noticed it was very particular about where to hold the remote when programming (watching for the headlight flash). I had to be dead center of the bumper and right up against it over the front license plate

Don't forget there are two steps:
1) car learns the remote
2) Garage door opener learns the car
Yes--it doesn't let me get to first base. When I get to the programming screen at step one it says to start-this may take a minute--then after two minutes it brings me back yo yje same screen, What software version do you have--I have 20.24.6.9---sometimes capabilities return on the next upgrade. Everything else seems to be working fine.

When I did the reprogram I was on 2020.24.6.4. Been updated a couple times since then and am currently at 2020.28.5
Went out and tried again and it worked perfectly. At least on the Garage door. Gate still problematic but I think the Homelink program is working fine. Tomorrow I'll erase the existing Gate program and do the whole thing from scratch. Thank you for your input. Almost there.

My MCU1 memory failed, it's toast. New is going to be MCU Intel HW3 upgrade - for Tegra AP2.5
IIRC, MCU1 is NVidia Tegra. MCU2 is Intel Atom. OTOH, AP2.5 is NVidia, but not Tegra, and AP3 (HW3) is proprietary Tesla hardware. Given these specifics, perhaps you DO have to upgrade to at least HW2.5 in order to have MCU2, and perhaps that's what they're charging extra for because you don't have FSD. Then the only remaining question would be why did they say "HW3 upgrade." IMO, if you want FSD, and they sold you HW3, you paid for hardware you could have gotten for free. OTOH, if you really got HW3 and don't want FSD, you got that hardware for way cheaper than HW2.5 owners who don't want FSD can (if their only option is to buy FSD).

Guys Im confused by these upgrades. I have AP 2.0 I think. I scheduled FSD upgrade, and infotainment upgrade. Is there anything else I should be selecting to upgrade? I have this scheduled for at home service, can they do these at home?
thanks

Guys Im confused by these upgrades. I have AP 2.0 I think. I scheduled FSD upgrade, and infotainment upgrade. Is there anything else I should be selecting to upgrade? I have this scheduled for at home service, can they do these at home?
thanks

Just upgraded to MCU2+HW3 in my 3/2017 Model X (MCU1/AP2.0). It was done at the Service Center, although I had them install the shudder fix as well. They kept the car overnight.

I think the only other thing to consider is if you want a new screen or are OK with your existing screen and a $250 discount. I went ahead with the new screen.

It's nice that the X now matches our Model 3's computer capabilities. Except for the no FM radio part. That might be missed if we want to listen to live sports. Otherwise streaming works fine for us.

IIRC, MCU1 is NVidia Tegra. MCU2 is Intel Atom. OTOH, AP2.5 is NVidia, but not Tegra, and AP3 (HW3) is proprietary Tesla hardware. Given these specifics, perhaps you DO have to upgrade to at least HW2.5 in order to have MCU2, and perhaps that's what they're charging extra for because you don't have FSD. Then the only remaining question would be why did they say "HW3 upgrade." IMO, if you want FSD, and they sold you HW3, you paid for hardware you could have gotten for free. OTOH, if you really got HW3 and don't want FSD, you got that hardware for way cheaper than HW2.5 owners who don't want FSD can (if their only option is to buy FSD).
Thanks for comments. Got Infotainment 3, same center screen, replaced DAS computer to FSD computer, replaced instrument cluster. It's Intel MCU Tegra UPGRADE AP2.5. It was $2250 and my option for FSD dropped from $5k to $3k. I'll pull that trigger after a week or two. Visualizations on IC show all the new objects. Have not tried dashcam or sentry, waiting for PureTesla MicroSD. XMAS showed worked. I did have to calibrate the FWD's last evening.

old |v2020.20.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2020.24.6.9|AP2.5,MCU2,PUP|

Thanks for comments. Got Infotainment 3, same center screen, replaced DAS computer to FSD computer, replaced instrument cluster. It's Intel MCU Tegra UPGRADE AP2.5. It was $2250 and my option for FSD dropped from $5k to $3k. I'll pull that trigger after a week or two. Visualizations on IC show all the new objects. Have not tried dashcam or sentry, waiting for PureTesla MicroSD. XMAS showed worked. I did have to calibrate the FWD's last evening.

old |v2020.20.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2020.24.6.9|AP2.5,MCU2,PUP|
Correction: $5k to $3k FSD was my mistake, it's still $5k for me

Correction: $5k to $3k FSD was my mistake, it's still $5k for me
So they're selling you old AP2.5 hardware to make it compatible because you haven't paid for FSD. That seems like a reasonable choice and charge. However, in theory, that would mean that if you paid for FSD at the same time, you would get the AP3.0 hardware to make it compatible and not have a separate fee (2k+5k vs 2k+2.25k+5k). In that case, though, why would they tell you to hold off on purchasing FSD? If I wanted FSD and MCU2 on an AP2.0 vehicle and they tried to tell me otherwise, I'd get FSD first and then MCU afterwards so they couldn't sell me the interim AP2.5 hardware since I was already upgraded. Might not work if that's not actually the relevant component, but that would mean they're still telling you wrong.

• Love
Reactions: MrTomP
So they're selling you old AP2.5 hardware to make it compatible because you haven't paid for FSD. That seems like a reasonable choice and charge. However, in theory, that would mean that if you paid for FSD at the same time, you would get the AP3.0 hardware to make it compatible and not have a separate fee (2k+5k vs 2k+2.25k+5k). In that case, though, why would they tell you to hold off on purchasing FSD? If I wanted FSD and MCU2 on an AP2.0 vehicle and they tried to tell me otherwise, I'd get FSD first and then MCU afterwards so they couldn't sell me the interim AP2.5 hardware since I was already upgraded. Might not work if that's not actually the relevant component, but that would mean they're still telling you wrong.
If I had FSD at the time of MCU death, then a different situation.
Now I've just put in $2.5k, and the car does dashcam, sentry, improved ICU graphics, MCU responsive finally, AP better (so far).
One correction: xmas dance is failing now, ranger says it's likely a FWD pinch sensor. He replaced my 12 battery today.

Reactions: dwploc
I have a 2016 MX 90D with MCU1, HW3 and FSD. Saw on YouTube video that some owners report the MCU2 upgrade on cars like mine makes both traffic aware cruise control as well as lane changes on autosteer operate more smoothly than before. Anyone have a similar experience?

Yes I have 16 Mx 90 that got the mcu2 upgrade with fsd. Vehicle displays cars in blind spots faster ... nearly instant (still not instant) where as before was a definite lag. Also displays many more objects. Not to mention able to utilize side cameras on reverse now and visualize side cameras plus all the other mcu2 bonus. This was when I already had the new hw3 fsd computer as well.

Reactions: VikH