Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 model X HW3 and MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I have 16 Mx 90 that got the mcu2 upgrade with fsd. Vehicle displays cars in blind spots faster ... nearly instant (still not instant) where as before was a definite lag. Also displays many more objects. Not to mention able to utilize side cameras on reverse now and visualize side cameras plus all the other mcu2 bonus. This was when I already had the new hw3 fsd computer as well.
Good to know. Thanks. What about smoothness of lane changes and cruise control, any difference there?

Have had my HW3 and Infotainment upgrade for 2 months now. With the latest updates the lane change is smooth, navigation is almost instant, and the visualizations are impressive. Best $4500 spent ($2k for HW3 and $2.5k for infotainment). Mine is a early 2017 with every upgrade (premium audio, sub zero, 72amp charging, etc.). It is like a new car.

No. I got the HW3 when it was discounted to 2k. It is way more now. Like 8-10k.

$2500 only gets you the Infotainment (MCU2) upgrade, not FSD (HW3).

Do you have FSD? Because if you do then HW3 is free because it is part of the upgrade for the FSD. My advisor told me I'd only have to pay $2500 for the MCU2/hw3 upgrade. I have FSD.

Another unexpected bonus from the upgrade: vampire drain is pretty much gone.

Ever since i have monitored the stats (fall 2019) with Teslamate, I noticed that the X very rarely went to sleep and vampire drain was about 1km per hour. I wasn't sure if this was normal or not as the forums have experiences all over the place. But since the upgrade, the car goes to sleep quite often and occasionally also goes offline. Not sure what the difference is between the tow in teslamate but I do know that vampire drain is now under 0.1km / hour. Quite a noticeable difference especially when I am not driving much these days. I was losing about 5-10% SOC per day before the upgrade and now it is 0-1% per day.
View attachment 567563
Before: View attachment 567565

Perhaps some default settings were changed with summon or something but whatever the cause, I am very happy with this surprise benefit.

Did you ever have any resolve to your vamp drain? I've recently installed TeslaMate and already had upgraded to MCU2 on my '17X and although mine sleeps a bit more than yours was, it's def a cause for questioning.

upload_2021-1-6_7-26-10.png

Do you have FSD? Because if you do then HW3 is free because it is part of the upgrade for the FSD. My advisor told me I'd only have to pay $2500 for the MCU2/hw3 upgrade. I have FSD.

Even without FSD (atleast in end of Nov) MCU2 got you FSD computer for free (regardless if you have purchased FSD or not). I had EAP (NOT FSD), I purchased MCU2 for my early '17 X P100D. FSD (AP3) computer also installed with the MCU2 upgrade, free of charge.

Reactions: VikH
Yeah I was told that with EAP (which I had) the MCU2 upgrade would put HW3 too. However multiple checks with Tesla corporate confirmed they do not put the HW3 in with MCU2. Further verified by Tesla Service installers. Folks will figure that out later when the new FSD features (which are not released yet) don't work. There is a reason why they charge separate for the HW3 and the MCU2 upgrades. Currently "FSD" software will work on AP2 and AP2.5 hardware which is why folks think they got HW3 with the MCU2 upgrade. The FSD term is misleading.

Yeah I was told that with EAP (which I had) the MCU2 upgrade would put HW3 too. However multiple checks with Tesla corporate confirmed they do not put the HW3 in with MCU2. Further verified by Tesla Service installers. Folks will figure that out later when the new FSD features (which are not released yet) don't work. There is a reason why they charge separate for the HW3 and the MCU2 upgrades. Currently "FSD" software will work on AP2 and AP2.5 hardware which is why folks think they got HW3 with the MCU2 upgrade. The FSD term is misleading.

Well, I spoke with an employee in the service department and he did verify that if I decide to upgrade to MCU2, it will include a new LCD and hw3 as well for $2500. I have fsd, I did not ask whether the price is different for people without FSD.

Well, I spoke with an employee in the service department and he did verify that if I decide to upgrade to MCU2, it will include a new LCD and hw3 as well for $2500. I have fsd, I did not ask whether the price is different for people without FSD.

The difference is EAP and FSD are different. If you had a pre 2018 MX then you only have EAP and have to buy the FSD (really only letters, not hardware). So some may get the HW3 with the MCU2 upgrade (if you bought FSD with the car), those with just EAP don't (unless you buy the upgrade which Tesla offered for $2k early on and has gone up to $10k lately). It's a subtle difference but means the difference between getting hardware upgraded or not.

I bought the FSD when offered at $2k. They upgraded my MCU to MCU2 in one appointment and my HW3 in another. If you think you can get it free with the MCU2 upgrade go for it. Just don't be disappointed later.

Here's what to expect with the MCU upgrade and Autopilot HW upgrade. There's a huge difference in response and map refresh time going to the new MCU. You will lose your radio and XM (requested to pay the fee ($500) to keep the radio but SC wasn't doing those yet) but I don't miss it much since Tesla has so many other music apps built-in. As far as the Autopilot HW upgrade, I went from 2.5 to 3 and now have the side cameras being displayed in the car when in reverse or for Sentry mode.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 5.21.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 5.21.25 PM.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 62
For anyone on the fence about this...do it! I traded in my Model 3 for a 2017 Model X and the step down to MCU1 was painful. I only lasted about 4 days before making the service appointment :)

Aside from the obvious well known performance and feature improvements, there are a lot of secondary improvements too:
  • Weird MCU sleep issues and delays starting up the car are totally gone. Plethora of settings to control MCU sleep behavior are gone.
  • Bluetooth and wifi connect way faster.
  • Autopilot nag to autopilot jail period is longer...harder to end up in autopilot jail.
  • Nav audio overlay is significantly improved. MCU1 would do a jarring left/right balance change and wasn't smooth at all. MCU2 Nav audio is seamless and pleasant just like it was in the Model 3
  • Both the instrument cluster and MCU screen appear to be sharper (higher resolution) and have greater brightness range (0% is dimmer and 100% is brighter). This *could* be a placebo effect...wish I took a few close-up pictures before to be sure.
  • No more screen border yellowing (yes...could be fixed without MCU upgrade, but nice to hit 2 birds with one stone)