Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 model X HW3 and MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be a fluke. The service center split my Infotainment and HW3 appointments because they did not have the parts. I doubt they will just "Throw in HW3" because they have a wiring harness. They won't giveaway $10k for free. Even if they did they would not software enable it. Tesla knows how to make money.

That's not correct. You're welcome to search this forum and see the many documented folks that purchased MCU2 and received FSD computer for free, despite only having EAP. Myself being one of them.

That's not correct. You're welcome to search this forum and see the many documented folks that purchased MCU2 and received FSD computer for free, despite only having EAP. Myself being one of them.

Like I said. Many thought they got it for free. Inspecting the hardware confirmed they did not, on more than just this forum. Just saying . . Tesla is not "giving it away" . . . when FSD goes live those that did not pay won't have it. Simple as that.

Like I said. Many thought they got it for free. Inspecting the hardware confirmed they did not, on more than just this forum. Just saying . . Tesla is not "giving it away" . . . when FSD goes live those that did not pay won't have it. Simple as that.

I had my MCU upgraded week of Thanksgiving. Upon pickup the settings info said 'FSD COMPUTER'. So I guess this was incorrect? And they never installed it? Despite the invoice clearly stating the parts and the 0 cost? Seems pretty unlikely to me.

Fast forward 10 days

Dec 8th when the price of FSD software upgrade went from $7k to $5k, I purchased it, and magically had FSD (current public availability, not beta) within minutes. Following your logic, I think Tesla has engineer and created a lot more than cars, batteries and PVs, but they can straight up upgrade hardware OTA! Dang, other manufactures can't even handle simple OTA software pushes! ;)

So you just confirmed what I said.
Fast forward 10 days

Dec 8th when the price of FSD software upgrade went from $7k to $5k, I purchased it, and magically had FSD (current public availability, not beta) within minutes.

If you don't pay you don't get it for free with the Infotainment upgrade. Can't understand why this is so hard to understand. People, you included, make it sound like if they upgrade the MCU they get FSD free. I simply pointed out you do not. They can software limit the feature just as I said and you just confirmed. Silly.:D

So you just confirmed what I said.

If you don't pay you don't get it for free with the Infotainment upgrade. Can't understand why this is so hard to understand. People, you included, make it sound like if they upgrade the MCU they get FSD free. I simply pointed out you do not. They can software limit the feature just as I said and you just confirmed. Silly.:D

AND I was simply stating you DO get the FSD computer (HW3) for free when purchasing upgrading to MCU2. Doesn't mean it's unlocked, never stated it was. Your initial comment said you do not get HW3....

AND I was simply stating you DO get the FSD computer (HW3) for free when purchasing upgrading to MCU2. Doesn't mean it's unlocked, never stated it was. Your initial comment said you do not get HW3....
Perhaps your anecdote confirms that some people DID get the FSD computer when upgrading to MCU2. I'm not convinced it does, because I'm not sure what features you think non-beta users on HW3.0 with MCU2 get that no-beta users on HW2.5 with MCU2 don't get. However, even if you DID get HW3.0, that doesn't mean that ALL people DO. There are other cases on this forum where HW2.0 was upgraded to HW2.5 for the MCU upgrade. IF HW3.0 was installed, even in multiple cases, that simply implies that HW3.0 was available at the time while HW2.5 was not.

Perhaps your anecdote confirms that some people DID get the FSD computer when upgrading to MCU2. I'm not convinced it does, because I'm not sure what features you think non-beta users on HW3.0 with MCU2 get that no-beta users on HW2.5 with MCU2 don't get. However, even if you DID get HW3.0, that doesn't mean that ALL people DO. There are other cases on this forum where HW2.0 was upgraded to HW2.5 for the MCU upgrade. IF HW3.0 was installed, even in multiple cases, that simply implies that HW3.0 was available at the time while HW2.5 was not.

I don't know if all people get it, but I did. I had my 2017 MX with HW2.5 upgraded to MCU2 late last year. And they throw in HW3 upgrade for free even though I don't have FSD. I told the Service tech that I don't have FSD but she said everyone is getting it done together. This is at the Rancho Cucamonga Service Center in California. I have another Tesla with MCU 2 with HW2.5. MCU 2 with HW 3.0 get FSD visualization and MCU 2 with HW 2.5 does not. Also I noticed that with HW3.0, if I go too fast toward a RED traffic light, the car will beep. HW 2.5 does not do that.

MCU 2 with HW 3.0 get FSD visualization and MCU 2 with HW 2.5 does not. Also I noticed that with HW3.0, if I go too fast toward a RED traffic light, the car will beep.
I'm not sure your first statement is correct, as I certainly thought that HW2.5 MCU2 owners got visualizations that HW2.5 MCU1 owners did not. Regarding your second statement, I certainly got warnings like that on HW2.5 prior to my upgrades. Regardless of those discrepancies, if you had HW2.5 and they upgraded that component, they certainly put in HW3.0, and it is certainly possible they are doing that consistently now, but there were also definitely recorded cases where HW2.0 was upgraded to HW2.5 because FSD wasn't purchased but HW2.0 wouldn't work with MCU2.

I'm not sure your first statement is correct, as I certainly thought that HW2.5 MCU2 owners got visualizations that HW2.5 MCU1 owners did not. Regarding your second statement, I certainly got warnings like that on HW2.5 prior to my upgrades. Regardless of those discrepancies, if you had HW2.5 and they upgraded that component, they certainly put in HW3.0, and it is certainly possible they are doing that consistently now, but there were also definitely recorded cases where HW2.0 was upgraded to HW2.5 because FSD wasn't purchased but HW2.0 wouldn't work with MCU2.

I have a HW2.5 MCU2 and it does not have visualization option at all.
Tesla 1: MCU2 / HW3.0 / EAP / no FSD = has visualization option, has red light warning beep
Tesla 2: MCU2 / HW2.5 / EAP / no FSD = no visualization option, no red light warning beep

Tesla 1: MCU2 / HW3.0 / EAP / no FSD = has visualization option, has red light warning beep
Tesla 2: MCU2 / HW2.5 / EAP / no FSD = no visualization option, no red light warning beep

I understand you may get some of the visualizations with HW3 more than with HW2.5 but the FSD features will not be software enabled unless you pay for FSD. It is kind of like buying a 64bit computer but only running 32bit software on it. All that power but not used.

I understand you may get some of the visualizations with HW3 more than with HW2.5 but the FSD features will not be software enabled unless you pay for FSD. It is kind of like buying a 64bit computer but only running 32bit software on it. All that power but not used.

Yeah I will never pay for FSD. It was as low as $2000 upgrade back in 2019 and didn't do it for me. I don't even use Navigate on Autopilot as it is pretty dangerous still when changing freeways here in SoCal. I just don't see FSD would work in local streets in our area. There are constructions, tree cutting, dogs running out, bunnies crossing the street (real), faded divider lines, crazy California drivers, etc...

Your experience is certainly relevant, and it is possible that the stoplights over the road visualization is only possible with HW3.0 even though cone visualization is possible with HW2.5. In either case, one or both of us are still confused. What is the name of this option you are talking about?

Your experience is certainly relevant, and it is possible that the stoplights over the road visualization is only possible with HW3.0 even though cone visualization is possible with HW2.5. In either case, one or both of us are still confused. What is the name of this option you are talking about?

It is called Full Self Driving Visualization Preview.

It only shows up on cars with HW3.0 (with or without FSD) like the picture below:
HW3.JPG

With HW2.5, on my other Tesla, it is not there:
HW2.5.JPG

It only shows up on cars with HW3.0 (with or without FSD) like the picture below:
<snip>

<snip>
Interesting. I have FSD and had the MCU2 and HW3 upgrades at the same time, hence the gap in knowledge. As I previously mentioned, cones were visible on HW2.5 vehicles with MCU2, but not with MCU1. Is that still the case (does your Tesla with HW2.5 & MCU2 show cones)? If not, then maybe something else is going on in your case (or maybe they silently changed it with v11). If so, perhaps they started including the HW3.0 upgrade in hopes of selling FSD later by way of the FSD visualization preview, otherwise it seems odd that they'd even offer the preview unless you had already paid for FSD. Either way, I do now vaguely remember that setting making the stoplights show up, but I turned it on immediately after upgrade, and I guess I assumed it was only available for people who paid (vs being HW specific). Still, prior to upgrade, my HW2.5 MCU1 config had an option to warn for red lights, and that included sound when red lights were detected. It didn't always catch the red, and sometimes it went off in spite of green (presumably because of red arrows over other lanes). I suppose they could have removed that in v11, or it could be FSD only, except you talk like you have a newer version of that and indicate you don't have FSD.

Interesting. I have FSD and had the MCU2 and HW3 upgrades at the same time, hence the gap in knowledge. As I previously mentioned, cones were visible on HW2.5 vehicles with MCU2, but not with MCU1. Is that still the case (does your Tesla with HW2.5 & MCU2 show cones)? If not, then maybe something else is going on in your case (or maybe they silently changed it with v11). If so, perhaps they started including the HW3.0 upgrade in hopes of selling FSD later by way of the FSD visualization preview, otherwise it seems odd that they'd even offer the preview unless you had already paid for FSD. Either way, I do now vaguely remember that setting making the stoplights show up, but I turned it on immediately after upgrade, and I guess I assumed it was only available for people who paid (vs being HW specific). Still, prior to upgrade, my HW2.5 MCU1 config had an option to warn for red lights, and that included sound when red lights were detected. It didn't always catch the red, and sometimes it went off in spite of green (presumably because of red arrows over other lanes). I suppose they could have removed that in v11, or it could be FSD only, except you talk like you have a newer version of that and indicate you don't have FSD.

Yes cones are visible with HW2.5, but FSD Visualization Preview shows a whole lot more than just cones. It shows every single trashcan on the side of the road, all 4 traffic lights at the intersection among a few other things.

I am sure they are hoping that showing the extra stuff will try to get you to buy FSD or just get you ready for the FSD monthly sub which is supposed to come out in a few months.

The price drop to $1500 for mcu2 was enought to convince me. Paid $2k to upgrade mcu2 with fm tuner (mcu2 $1500, fm tuner $500) on my 2017 MX with FSD. Totally worth it. Voice commands finally work like they should and dash cam is no longer glitchy. My buddy did the emmc recall on his MS hoping for drastic improvement. It was better, but not much. If ur on the fence, do the upgrade, you will be happy!

(...)

(...)

Hmm, but you show summon there. Is this an EAP or Autopilot vehicle? With HW2.5/MCU1 (no FSD), we are not seeing Summon like you.

edit: I see further back you mention EAP, so that explains some of the additional options!

Have had my HW3 and Infotainment upgrade for 2 months now. With the latest updates the lane change is smooth, navigation is almost instant, and the visualizations are impressive. Best $4500 spent ($2k for HW3 and $2.5k for infotainment). Mine is a early 2017 with every upgrade (premium audio, sub zero, 72amp charging, etc.). It is like a new car.
Can you confirm if you were able to retain the 72amp charging capacity after switching to MCU2? Someone else on this forum mentioned that switching to MCU2 will result in the loss of charging at 72amps (the max you'd be able to charge is 48 amps)