Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 model X unintended acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks,

I recently purchased a 2017 Model X 100D CPO and have been happy with the car. 2 days ago, I was taking an exit from a local highway and after taking the exit, the car just accelerated by itself on the ramp. It was an incline ramp, so I had the time to control the car and brake hard. Autopilot was not engaged. this was the first and only time i experienced something like this. Would have been in a terrible accident. Has anyone had any experience like this with unintended acceleration. I have an appointment in 2 weeks for Tesla to check it out. It was scary.

Hello folks,

I recently purchased a 2017 Model X 100D CPO and have been happy with the car. 2 days ago, I was taking an exit from a local highway and after taking the exit, the car just accelerated by itself on the ramp. It was an incline ramp, so I had the time to control the car and brake hard. Autopilot was not engaged. this was the first and only time i experienced something like this. Would have been in a terrible accident. Has anyone had any experience like this with unintended acceleration. I have an appointment in 2 weeks for Tesla to check it out. It was scary.

Are you sure you didn't mistakenly hit the cruise control stalk? If you tap the stalk on a highway on ramp, it will automatically accelerate to highway speeds (it shouldn't accelerate at full throttle though).

Unintended acceleration in all cars is very rare. The only potential legitimate unintended acceleration Tesla case I have seen on here is from a re-built salvage car.

Last edited:
Reactions: cucubits
I'll be the first to tell you that I was a "naysayer" about this, until it happened to me. I was using AP and sitting in a line waiting to pick up some kids and my vehicle just suddenly accelerated forward. I didn't touch anything and there was a vehicle about 6' in front of me. I hit the brake within a second of it occurring, so no damage ensued.

I'm still a 'naysayer' - our brain likes to play games with us.
FWIW if that really happens, immediately send a report, note exact time when it happened and call Tesla.
I'm not sure how would I be comfortable sitting in that car again if that happened to me.

On the flip side, my 2017 100D (which I’ve only had for a few short weeks) DEcelerates on uphill inclines quite frequently. Yesterday, on an interstate highway, it did it three separate times. There was other traffic present each time but we were all traveling at the same rate of speed and I wasn’t coming upon slower traffic. It made me wonder whether or not my radar sensor or front camera is misaligned or something.

I'll be the first to tell you that I was a "naysayer" about this, until it happened to me. I was using AP and sitting in a line waiting to pick up some kids and my vehicle just suddenly accelerated forward. I didn't touch anything and there was a vehicle about 6' in front of me. I hit the brake within a second of it occurring, so no damage ensued.

That's an issue with AP, not unintended acceleration.

You said AP was not engaged. Was it on before? Did you disengage it by using the stalk before you made your maneuver or did you just pull the steering wheel. If you just pulled the steering wheel, AP will disengage, but TACC will still be on and if suddenly no other cars in front of you, on the new lane, it will accelerate. This can catch you no matter how extremely vigilant you are.

As said above, sudden, random, unintended accelerations are extremely rare. Most likely unintended user error, but do let us know what the SC says.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
You said AP was not engaged. Was it on before? Did you disengage it by using the stalk before you made your maneuver or did you just pull the steering wheel. If you just pulled the steering wheel, AP will disengage, but TACC will still be on and if suddenly no other cars in front of you, on the new lane, it will accelerate. This can catch you no matter how extremely vigilant you are.

As said above, sudden, random, unintended accelerations are extremely rare. Most likely unintended user error, but do let us know what the SC says.
AP was not engaged for the whole drive. I do not use AP or TACC on local highways, only major freeways. This surely was unintended. Ill wait to hear from tesla.

Hi Qbenjamin,

I don't understand your post or there is information missing or mistaken...

I won't question AP in a line of cars to pick up your kids but it sounds odd to me...

If the car lurched forward and there was a car 6 feet in front of you, you would have hit it...
There would be no time for your 1 second to brake...
Did you mean that you were able to stop 6 feet short of hitting the car in front of you???

Do you have the "Obstacle Aware Acceleration" option activated??? In the Autopilot settings...

Do you have "Creep" turned on??? I turned it off after hitting something...

Please help me to understand...

Thank you,

Shawn

Hello folks,

Did you ever get an answer from SC?
It sounds like what the highway safety people are investigating, if you google unintended acceleration tesla CNBC you will find it.

They simply said it was not possible and didn't find anything in the logs. I know what I experienced.

Did it happen only that one time?

If you know exactly when it happened, maybe you can give the time frame to the service center and ask them if AP had been enabled. If yes, than maybe without realizing or out of habit you turned it on, forgot about it, and when no more cars were in from, it accelerated seemingly unintended.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid