Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 MS CHG_u005 unable to charge - charge station not powered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All.

I am currently facing CHG_u005 unable to charge - charge station not powered after charge port replacement. ( I have purchased the car with completely dead charge port)

Now my battery is on 0% so I would really need charging.

Could it be that the onboard charger is dead? it shows no Voltage whatsoever when plugging in, simply just says ready to charge, but no power.

My onboard charger is v3 so as far as I know it has no fuses to replace. Anyone can confirm this?

Is there anything else I could check before buying a new onboard charger?

Is it worth towing the car to an SC to try charging with DC if that would make any difference?

Best Regards

Assuming you have an EU car I'm certain your gen3 onboard charger have fuses but I don't think all 3 phases are blown.

Do you have some more information what is done to the car like did you replaced the chargerport yourself? Did you do a redeploy? Are there any other faults? If you used a second hand chargeport you know for sure it isn't a bad one?

Supercharging bypasses the onboard charger since it is DC but if it's broken don't think it will DC charge.

Screenshot_20220926-142814_Drive.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi.

Yes the car is EU version. Currently no other faults.

Firstly the MCU was dead because of the eMMC failure, which i got replaced at a 3rd party, then I had charge port disabled error, and the old charge port did not react to anything.
I have got a used 2nd hand charge port and now redeploy worked, charge port seems to be alive, open, closes and locks the cable in place when I plug it in, however it does not charge. Just stating chg_u005. I am not 100% sure that the new charge port perfect, but by the looks of it it does all it needs to do. So now Its either cable issue somewhere in the car, or the onboard charger.

I have read that this error is usually caused by a control pilot signal between the car and charger.

When replacing the charge port I have plugged back all cables as it was, though I still have no idea which one actually is the control pilot signal cable, there is literally 1 cable going into the charge port from the back, and 1 from the front which comes from the rear light, then the high voltage cables and port screwed onto it and pretty much was it.

Upvote 0
Hi.

Yes the car is EU version.

When replacing the charge port I have plugged back all cables as it was, though I still have no idea which one actually is the control pilot signal cable, there is literally 1 cable going into the charge port from the back, and 1 from the front which comes from the rear light, then the high voltage cables and port screwed onto it and pretty much was it.
This is the back side of Gen.2 charge port of my EU Model S, there seems a lot more cables coming out…

1C5C9C1E-9DD0-4C73-A9BF-A0ECC11437D8.jpeg

Upvote 0
Hi. Yes, so all the high voltage cables with the inlet attach to the charge port as one, those all seem ok, I replaced the charge port PN 1061447-00-A, to this there is 1 cable connects from the tail light, and one small cable harness from the trunk.

I have disassembled all over again today, then back, didn’t make a difference. :/

Tomorrow I will try going to the Supercharger and hope it will charge.

If not I will try ordering a replacement onboard charger since I think then that would be the highest next possibility.

Upvote 0
Hi. Yes, so all the high voltage cables with the inlet attach to the charge port as one, those all seem ok, I replaced the charge port PN 1061447-00-A, to this there is 1 cable connects from the tail light, and one small cable harness from the trunk.

I have disassembled all over again today, then back, didn’t make a difference. :/

Tomorrow I will try going to the Supercharger and hope it will charge.

If not I will try ordering a replacement onboard charger since I think then that would be the highest next possibility.

Did you also tried measuring Ohm on CP wire from outside chargeport to onboard charger?

Also if your car doesn't DC charge try calling Tesla road assistance maybe they can see realtime what is wrong

Upvote 0
Update:

I have taken the onboard charger apart and checked all fuses, and ohms with charge port and HV cables. All good no faults found there.

I think the CP board failed and thats why it isn’t starting the charge.

I have placed an order for another onboard charger 1066510-01-b, however I am a bit stuck I have seen Replacing Onboard Charger Gen3 2017 MS75D...My Experience (With Photos)

Where he tries replacing an XS1-1 with an XS2-1, I have make the same mistake as I have now realised. But the PN is the same, I wonder if this is really a problem.

My replacement is currently on the way to me so cancellation isn’t a possibility now. :/

Anyone knows what really is the difference between XS1-1 & XS2-1?

Reactions: kfly212
Upvote 0