Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 MS: Need help buying new (Continental?) TPMS sensors for extra set of snow tires/rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, we have a 2017 model S 75 with the original 19” turbine wheels/rims.

I recently acquired an additional set of identical 19” rims, and plan to have snow tires installed so I can more easily/quickly swap out the wheels instead of having to swap tires on only 1 set of rims.

Both the Costco tire center & Discount Tires store in Portland refuse to sell/install their aftermarket TPMS sensors on the new rims; they said Tesla has some special system and programming the non-tesla aftermarket sensors almost never works. They recommended I buy the sensors from Tesla and then I can have either shop install the sensors & tires.

Does that sound right and does anyone know what model of continental TPMS sensor tesla uses? I can’t even find a way to order the Tpms sensors through Tesla’s app/website, so I might have to get them from a 3rd party.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!!

I just did a quick google search for "2017 tesla model s tpms sensor" and saw several links pop up claiming to sell the actual Tesla OEM sensor.

Here's a link to them on the tsportline site. Showing $300 for a set.

NOTE: I have no affiliation with T Sportline; only chose that one as an example because I know many people have used them as a source to buy rims or other items and have the sense that they are a reputable site.

Some of the very new cars use a bluetooth TPMS system, but your 2017 should not. The very early cars (up until mid-2014) also use a different system, but those are pretty rare now.

You can buy the exact Continental (also called VDO which is their division) part number for $47.99 at Rock Auto which is what I did for my car.

P.S. There is no programming needed. Go to the service menu and hit the button for reset TPMS and start driving. Within a few miles (like 2) it will have learned the new ID's and will show you the pressures.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
Automotive supplier trivia for the day ... The VDO trademark originates from merger of a couple German automotive companies back in the late 1920's. It ended up being owned by Vodafone for a short time before being sold in 2000 to the Siemens group (known as Siemens VDO), with Siemens selling it to Continental in 2007.

Like said above, there's nothing special about your 2017 TPMS, I bought some aftermarket tpms off amazon for around $75 for a set and after you drive on them for several miles the car auto detects them on its own. Just make sure you get the correct mhz tpms and you don't need to order them directly from Tesla. Only the newer vehicles and the early model S had different versions.

These "generic" sensors work in my early 2014 P85 that had received the newer Continental TPMS upgrade. The tire store had to program them during install so that they know what sort of system they're talking to. Cost me $50/each.

1F8B9626-17AE-4B8E-AE0A-CBE2A54B9071.jpeg

Some of the very new cars use a bluetooth TPMS system, but your 2017 should not. The very early cars (up until mid-2014) also use a different system, but those are pretty rare now.

You can buy the exact Continental (also called VDO which is their division) part number for $47.99 at Rock Auto which is what I did for my car.

P.S. There is no programming needed. Go to the service menu and hit the button for reset TPMS and start driving. Within a few miles (like 2) it will have learned the new ID's and will show you the pressures.

Thanks so much! knowing this model worked for you was exactly the confirmation I needed!! :)