Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 MS P100D Tires (On staggered 21's)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at 50,000 miles on my 2017 MS P100D (staggered 21's, 245 up front, 265 rear) and I've gone through two sets of the factory tires (Michelin SS's)...Only thing I liked about those tires was that they very firmly planted the car on the road; grip was ridiculous even in rain and hard cornering...Gave new meaning to the saying "handles like it's on rails"...GREAT performance tires...However, I don't want to spend $1,800+ a year for tires. I currently have 19's on the car (3rd set) that we used for a cross country road trip last year (which I'll use for our pothole ridden winters here in Portland once they come off) and want to get my staggered 21's back on for the summer/fall, but the SS on those are pretty much done.

My primary concern is I want tires that will last a LOT longer than those SS's (like, at LEAST twice as long). I'd love to have that handles like it's on rails feeling, but I think any 21's would give most of that back coming from the current 19's so not a huge priority...need to do good in the rain too (I live in Portland afterall) and obviously quiet / not bumpy would be great, but I'm not holding my breath there. Also, considering no matter what I get I'm still likely to have to replace them every 2-3 years just from literally ripping them apart with the torque, I don't want to spend a ton on them *unless* it would ultimately save me money in the long run.

My driving is typically pretty chill, but I DO love to use the power this car has from time to time, so I'm not nailing it off line all the time, but I do now and then. Also, not usually cornering hard (wife hates it when I do) but like the acceleration caveat, I DO enjoy twisty roads and hard cornering from time to time when it's just me in the car...So, performance capable but not required I suppose? This car was a once in a lifetime purchase for me that I expect to have for many more years, so with that said cost is important to me to keep low, however I do also believe "you get what you pay for" so I'm not interested in saving money on crap tires either.

The ones I'm considering, but know nothing about other than website listed stats are:

Cheapest: Toyo Proxes Sport A/S (I could literally buy TWO sets of these for the same cost as the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's listed below).
Mid Price: Yokohamas Advan A/S+
Expensive: Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

Anyone with feedback on any of these would be greatly appreciated! Any I haven't considered and should?

Thanks!

Scott

I have Michelin pilot sport 4S, so far 13k miles and a good amount of tread left but I’m also lowered so I have inner tire wear. I’m expecting to get 17-18k. You should try these I’m sure you’ll get over 20k if you’re not lowered. Make sure you get a good alignment too.

Fellow PDXer here (P85D). I run staggered 20s and have a dedicated winter setup so use full summers vs A/S. Have used Falken Azenis FK510s for years and have been happy, but recently switched to General GMax RS in the rear due to the Falkens not being in stock when I needed replacements before a road trip. No complaints so far. Both reasonably priced compared to Super Sports, etc.

For low profile 21" tires, there are certainly options that are cheaper than the Michelins, but NO low profile tire will give you 30k+ miles.

Your best bet is to identify a cheaper tire, but unless you keep your 19s on, expect to replace them at your current interval.

Ok, this is kind of what I was thinking already (no matter what low pro I get they are gonna wear fast)...Went ahead and got the Toyo's; I don't know of anything "bad" about them, they are a brand I recognize and they are literally half the cost of the michelins...so we'll see how it goes I guess. Thanks for the info on the Falken's too, never heard of those but did see them as an option (but skipped over since I hadn't heard of them).

Thanks

Ok, this is kind of what I was thinking already (no matter what low pro I get they are gonna wear fast)...Went ahead and got the Toyo's; I don't know of anything "bad" about them, they are a brand I recognize and they are literally half the cost of the michelins...so we'll see how it goes I guess. Thanks for the info on the Falken's too, never heard of those but did see them as an option (but skipped over since I hadn't heard of them).

Thanks
Cool. Any updates on how they are still? Planning to update tires soon and is considering the Toyos