Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 MX Shuts Down dangerously on Expressway–I'm losing faith in Tesla and my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks I’m hoping it’s just an isolated issue. Something I’d hate for someone else to be in.
I just filed the NHTSA complaint per another member’s suggestion (first time I’ve ever done this), and would need to look into the lemon law. Thanks for the suggestion
He is a member but not a Tesla owner.

Good luck on your repair. SC's have been good to me.

What is funny is that you said that you pushed on the gas...

Last edited:
@tangerine did tesla report back to you on what happened?
I've texted the SC a couple of times last week and didn't get an update until my car was ready. Picked up the car today and a technician took me through the car.

The issue was my steering column was at fault, so they've replaced it. The SC ended up bringing in engineers from Tesla to help diagnose the issue and they could not replicate it, however found the fault code to be in the steering column. I have a road trip with my family coming up, so crossing fingers it drives safely on the freeway!

This looks like the bjorn video that resulted in the battery having to be replaced.
Yes, another forum member told me about it and I searched and found the Bjorn video, got the same faults but wasn't the battery for me.

He is a member but not a Tesla owner.

Good luck on your repair. SC's have been good to me.

What is funny is that you said that you pushed on the gas...

Thanks! SC has generally been good to me except this time with the steering column issue. They seemed a bit more elusive when I asked about it during the repairs.

Just a quick update. This error happened to me again on July 1, 2018. Attaching a photo of the error screen. This time, luckily, I was in a parking lot. I went to go pick up some food and walked back to my car to put it into reverse and the errors came back up.

The dashboard read "Car Needs Service" and wouldn't go into gear again.

Stay tuned for a Service Center update...

Attachments

• IMG_4614.jpg
    IMG_4614.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 154
Hi Tangerine...any word/update from the Service Center on your recent error?

Unfortunately I had this same issue happen to me today (stopped at a stop light, car stuck in park, flashing hazard lights, error messages galore etc). I know the area where you were stopped which is quite dangerous as all it takes is one driver to be looking in the wrong direction and switching lanes. Thankfully you were safe....

Tesla walked me through a 2 minute shutdown of the car which got the car back up and I was able to put the car into drive. Tesla said they will try and diagnose the problem since they have all my error messages in their records but they would have to get back to me in ~4 days. They said the earliest service center appointment in my area was all the way on July 19 but I can go in on July 10 at a different location. Just like you too when you first had the error, I have a planned road trip with the family with the X and i'm just hoping for reliability.

Guys sorry to hear about these problems - unsettling for sure. Since this 12v car battery appears to cause so many issues I would def have them check, replace and then test charging circuit to that 12v. Please keep us updated what culprit they point to next.

Reactions: tangerine
xKRSx-what was the shutdown/reboot process? Would be nice to know should something like this happen to any of us.
Thanks!

There's a sticky in these forums for Resetting that I found after the fact. The touchscreen was functional when I was stuck so Tesla roadside assisstance basically had me perform the Power Off/ Reset. Using the brake to restart did NOT work though as the brake was very stiff even after they had me punch the brake a couple of times. They next had me open the door (from the inside), close the door, and finally use the key fob to 'unlock' the car and everything was back up and running after the reset. All of the error messages cleared.

Power Off/Reset
Under Settings, E-Brake and Power Off. Power vehicle off, then use the brake to restart.

I had an issue like this when I first got my X100D. It turned out to be a small dent on a wheel sensor that threw the whole system into a shutdown like that. It was still driveable but no EAP, or any of the wheel related sensors were online just like yours. Maybe it's a small issue with the wheel sensor. It took them 30 minutes to fix and another hour to joyride it to make sure it was working.

Hi Tangerine...any word/update from the Service Center on your recent error?

Unfortunately I had this same issue happen to me today (stopped at a stop light, car stuck in park, flashing hazard lights, error messages galore etc). I know the area where you were stopped which is quite dangerous as all it takes is one driver to be looking in the wrong direction and switching lanes. Thankfully you were safe....

Tesla walked me through a 2 minute shutdown of the car which got the car back up and I was able to put the car into drive. Tesla said they will try and diagnose the problem since they have all my error messages in their records but they would have to get back to me in ~4 days. They said the earliest service center appointment in my area was all the way on July 19 but I can go in on July 10 at a different location. Just like you too when you first had the error, I have a planned road trip with the family with the X and i'm just hoping for reliability.

This sounds similar to what happened to me, and the same amount of days to get my car back (got it back in time for the road trip). I think my service days were somewhere around 7 days total, most of it was testing with Tesla engineers that came to diagnose. My service appointment for my second error is tomorrow morning, so will update when I hear back what the second error is attributed to

Just a quick update. This error happened to me again on July 1, 2018. Attaching a photo of the error screen. This time, luckily, I was in a parking lot. I went to go pick up some food and walked back to my car to put it into reverse and the errors came back up.

The dashboard read "Car Needs Service" and wouldn't go into gear again.

Stay tuned for a Service Center update...

I had a similar incident happen with my Model X 14 days after picking it up. Parked in a store and the when I came back the car would not go into reverse, drive, etc. The only error displayed was the vehicle skid control warning (yellow car with squiggly lines). I called service and they spent an hour trying to fix it remotely. In the end they had to trailer the car to the Service Center.

Here is what the description of the repair, which took 5 days.

Concern: Customer states: Vehicle will not start and will not go into gear. Please inspect and advise.

Pay Type: Warranty

Corrections: Vehicle Alerts General Diagnosis
Technician downloaded and reviewed vehicle logs. Technician found multiple alerts as described. Technician found in a rare instance the drive rail remained on even though accessory rail turned off causing alerts. Technician performed 12 volt reset and found alerts are now gone. Technician verified vehicle operates as designed. Technician notes this is a extremely rare occurrence and should not happen again. Technician notes this specific circumstance is known and still under investigation.

Maybe it is something in the NorCal air. I am near the the Dublin, CA SC.

• Informative
Reactions: tangerine
I had a similar incident happen with my Model X 14 days after picking it up. Parked in a store and the when I came back the car would not go into reverse, drive, etc. The only error displayed was the vehicle skid control warning (yellow car with squiggly lines). I called service and they spent an hour trying to fix it remotely. In the end they had to trailer the car to the Service Center.

Here is what the description of the repair, which took 5 days.

Concern: Customer states: Vehicle will not start and will not go into gear. Please inspect and advise.

Pay Type: Warranty

Corrections: Vehicle Alerts General Diagnosis
Technician downloaded and reviewed vehicle logs. Technician found multiple alerts as described. Technician found in a rare instance the drive rail remained on even though accessory rail turned off causing alerts. Technician performed 12 volt reset and found alerts are now gone. Technician verified vehicle operates as designed. Technician notes this is a extremely rare occurrence and should not happen again. Technician notes this specific circumstance is known and still under investigation.

Maybe it is something in the NorCal air. I am near the the Dublin, CA SC.

Sounds really similar to my situation. Did the SC end up replacing or repairing anything?

This sounds similar to what happened to me, and the same amount of days to get my car back (got it back in time for the road trip). I think my service days were somewhere around 7 days total, most of it was testing with Tesla engineers that came to diagnose. My service appointment for my second error is tomorrow morning, so will update when I hear back what the second error is attributed to

Tangerine - For my issue it looks like I had the same 'steering column fix' that you had with your first occurrence. I was relieved to hear they actually physically fixed something on the car rather than what they originally told me was a known issue and would be resolved through a future firmware update. Seeing though that you had an error again though is concerning and hopefully will not be an issue on my side seeing as that i'll be headed on a family road trip shortly. Please do share the news / info from your service center when available. I'm pretty anxious and hopeful to hear the outcome. Thanks Tangerine!

Tangerine - For my issue it looks like I had the same 'steering column fix' that you had with your first occurrence. I was relieved to hear they actually physically fixed something on the car rather than what they originally told me was a known issue and would be resolved through a future firmware update. Seeing though that you had an error again though is concerning and hopefully will not be an issue on my side seeing as that i'll be headed on a family road trip shortly. Please do share the news / info from your service center when available. I'm pretty anxious and hopeful to hear the outcome. Thanks Tangerine!

I got news from the SC today that they are replacing the Steering Column again. I haven't heard much else from the tech advisor, but will report back what else was repaired. I'm growing concerned that if its the same repair, the same error could come up again.

Early days in my ‘16x I got several of your messages. Fortunately, I was only a short distance from home and I was able to get there safely. It turned out it was a bad sensor in right front wheel well area. After that, no issues.

I hope yours gets fixed soon (and complete).

Btw: sure seems odd that two steering columns would go bad so quickly. Either a bad part run or something else?

I got news from the SC today that they are replacing the Steering Column again. I haven't heard much else from the tech advisor, but will report back what else was repaired. I'm growing concerned that if its the same repair, the same error could come up again.

Curious if you adjust your steering column often? Early on I adjusted it often as I got used to driving the X. My wife and I also have different steering wheel height preferences. I’m wondering if the adjustment is what eventually triggers the failure on the weak part or weak connections.