Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 P100D X and 2018 P100D S - does battery day make them obsolete?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure...

I've got a funny feeling that on battery day we are going to see new Model S and X variants and new promised range on the new variants because even Raven spec is getting long in the tooth and we don't even have bi-directional charging.

Well, because i've got the referral reward from once upon a time I can either take possession of my Powerwall or I can go ahead and apply a discount to a new car...

I mean, I want to do the infotainment upgrade on the model x but if I got the 2500 upgrade (USD) so 4k CDN I could just roll that into the cost of the new Y.

I've been looking at some youtube reviewers who previously had x's saying that they love their new y's and it just makes more sense. Today I got two control arms (front) replaced under warranty and the front "pop" actuator replaced (door wasn't opening) and the 12V battery replaced, all under warranty, thanks Tesla for that, but looking long term at possible problems with the model x and just not loving it..I mean, falcon wings are awesome and all but I couldn't tell you how many times I hit my head or was scared for my kids just being kids about opening/closing the falcon door.

Meh.

Still undecided but thanks for the feedback so far. But I think that many people are going to be thinking about this right now because its not just a regular upgrade here, Elon said his mind was "blown" by the change that's coming and since the tech is already showing up in part in China its not far away from NA.

Tesla will not launch Model S Plaid without any other updates. The plaid will get bigger battery and most likely the new battery tech. I also believe there will be a significant interior update and some exterior updates. Not sure when, but I think within 2-3 months. So, now might be a good time to sell. I would not buy a new Model S/X today.

Reactions: Chaserr
That's exactly my point.

Elon's all about the surprises and he delayed battery day specifically because its a more "visceral" presentation, etc, which I think involves showing off the battery tech in a new s or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaserr
I have found it best not to agonize over future possible upgrades and just enjoy my car. Tesla’s continuous improvement approach does provide ongoing feature upgrades we can enjoy through OTA, but not as much when hardware is involved. Point is, there will always be something newer and better, so it’s easy to get caught up in comparing what you currently have to the latest and greatest. That can cause disappointment if you let it get to you, so I keep reminding myself what an awesome car I have and then go drive it. Happiness!

Brilliant post and I want to amplify it. OP should consider his vehicles have "mature techno!ogy" and are not obsolete. Obsolete defines items no longer used such as a horse & buggy or 1955 Chevy.

Tesla vehicles are very much like other state of the art technology such as laptops and cell phones. The day you buy one these, there's always something better in development: faster; smaller; longer range; more features; lower cost; longer life; etc. Use what you have to the fullest extent and love it. While not the latest technology, I love my 2017 ms over ALL ICE vehicles.

To own the latest and greatest tech, you have to get a replacement every year or sooner which is very expensive and most people can't afford it as depreciation is greatest in year 1. I lease vehicles every 3 years for a balance with new technology and my wallet size. Everyone desire for new tech and ability to afford it is different.

2. Speed of charging (Before corona completed a trip from Ontario to Florida and watched all the model 3’s charge faster and that sucked
On my road trips in my S100D, I've seen the opposite. I would pull in and see several Model 3s charging. I would charge and leave and often they were all still there. I saw this at Supercharger after Supercharger (different cars at each location). It's possible that they were new owners and were charging to 80% or 90% or more instead of just charging as much as was needed to get to their next stop. Maybe their smaller batteries required them to charge longer? While they may hit higher peak charging rates, those rates don't last for the entire charge and don't make a huge difference.

Maybe their smaller batteries required them to charge longer? While they may hit higher peak charging rates, those rates don't last for the entire charge and don't make a huge difference.

I dunno about that.

Like you said, it depends a lot on driving style and learning to work the bottom half of the battery on your trips instead of keeping things as topped off as possible, but the charging speed difference below 50% is dramatic.

BTX6 taper.png

M3 taper.jpg

After about 50% the tapers are close to identical between the S100 and LR Model 3 - but remember the 3 can go significantly farther on each kWh of energy, so it definitely maintains an advantage RE usable range added per minute of charging. If you're in a hurry, the Model 3 is far superior.

Image sources:
Tesla Supercharging - Summer 2019 Update
Supercharger SuperGuide | TeslaTap

I dunno about that.

Like you said, it depends a lot on driving style and learning to work the bottom half of the battery on your trips instead of keeping things as topped off as possible, but the charging speed difference below 50% is dramatic.

View attachment 543594
View attachment 543595

After about 50% the tapers are close to identical between the S100 and LR Model 3 - but remember the 3 can go significantly farther on each kWh of energy, so it definitely maintains an advantage RE usable range added per minute of charging. If you're in a hurry, the Model 3 is far superior.

Image sources:
Tesla Supercharging - Summer 2019 Update
Supercharger SuperGuide | TeslaTap
None of the Superchargers are v3 on my road trips so it wouldn't make much difference across Kansas, Nebraska, etc. It could be different in California or where there are lots of v3...but for v2, I was always charging up and leaving before the Model 3s.

As I mentioned earlier, maybe a large part of it could've been because they were new owners and didn't know the most efficient way to charge.

Reactions: ucmndd
That's exactly my point.

Elon's all about the surprises and he delayed battery day specifically because its a more "visceral" presentation, etc, which I think involves showing off the battery tech in a new s or something.
I never thought about it but they will probably want to do in person rides to show off Plaid acceleration like they had for the Roadster and autonomy day.

On my road trips in my S100D, I've seen the opposite. I would pull in and see several Model 3s charging. I would charge and leave and often they were all still there. I saw this at Supercharger after Supercharger (different cars at each location). It's possible that they were new owners and were charging to 80% or 90% or more instead of just charging as much as was needed to get to their next stop. Maybe their smaller batteries required them to charge longer? While they may hit higher peak charging rates, those rates don't last for the entire charge and don't make a huge difference.

Model 3 owners are probably a statistic lower likelihood to have garage charging, and with more of them out there you will be more likely to see more charging up for the rest of the week than MS or MX.