Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Premium Upgrades Package (PUP)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just about to put my order in, and considering the PUP. We originally decided to not get the PUP because the standard car includes so many features that used to be premium (ambient LEDs, turning headlamps, etc.) there's only 3 features that are even remotely attractive:

• Heated Windshield/nozzles (we live in Colorado, plan to be in the mountains)
  • HEPA filter/Biodefense Mode
  • Sound System
But, none of them really seem worth it to me. The self presenting doors seem like just adding more surface area for bugs, so they don't even make the list. The other sub-zero features only really affect passengers (2 seats will be carseats for another 8 years) or are things I don't really care about (i.e. heated seats for all + heated steering wheel).

The sound system seems like the biggest difference is the "fullness" of the sound because of the subwoofer. Even then, we're not huge audiophiles so that removes it from being "worth it" for us. The heated windshield and nozzles seem like a super nice-to-have - might pay $500 for them, but not $5000.

That leaves the HEPA filter, which is incredibly impressive in going through areas with 1000+ PM2.5 concentrations. But in looking at local air quality, we're usually at around 10-25 anyway...well within "Good" range.

Are there features from the PUP that, now that you have them, you can't live without?

Hi Csalvato,

None of these were attractive for me to choose the PUP package a year ago, and that included even more features than it does now, as these are now standard. The sound quality with the standard package is very good, and I am very critical, not audiophile but close ;) Really no need for the upgraded audio IMO
The self presenting doors: well, its very cool, but not that big of a deal, also when you are driving you will never notice :) I wouldnt care about that either. The subzero package: Never missed it for a minute: When I know its extremely cold, I just remotely turn on the heather 5 minutes before I leave, and all is fine. Glass heats enough that the wipers wont need the heated feature, same goes for the steering wheel. FYI I live in Chicago, known for its super cold winters. About the filter: Hopefully the air quality will only increase, as more folks will start driving EV. And IF you want to get that Hepa filter, do a search how to replace the standard build-in filter with an over the counter Hepa filter yourself. Greetings, Mick

• Helpful
Reactions: csalvato
That is a valid point about resell. At the same time, I expect the newer model that come out in 5 years or so, to have a lot of new features and packages anyways, so you cannot "compete" with that. If you'd want to get a new Tesla model in some years, most likely you will trade-in through Tesla anyways. I wouldnt make that a PUP deciding factor. BTW, whichever option you choose, I'd do it ASAP if I were you, to avoid losing that $7500 tax credit, I am sure you read the new about the new tax plan...

• Helpful
I was really skeptical about the self-presenting (gimmicky) doors when I got my X 16 months ago, and it was the first thing I turned off (without even trying it) when I picked it up. After 4 months of ownership, I heard that it had improved with an OTA update, so I thought I'd (hesitantly) give it a try for a few days and then turn it off again.

Well, I fell in love with that feature and I use it daily now. Me and my whole family miss it now that we have a S loaner for the past week. I compare it to power windows, would you go back to manual windows after getting used to powered windows?

I agree it's not for everyone, but in my environment, it works very well.

The gimmicky self presenting self closing door is the one feature my wife said she definitely wanted after her 3 day test drive. The bio filter is pointless for us. The heated steering wheel and hifi sound system were also a must for her so we did order the PUP Hopefully we will take delivery before years end.

• Helpful
TL;DR For everything in the PuP: If you never had it, you won't miss it either.

Standard audio is absolutely good enough, but Premium is better – got no better way to put it. Probably mostly worth it if you listen a lot at higher volume. I opted for upgraded sound package mostly for the subwoofer. Oh, and resale value.

Hepa filtration system is very nice, and I am sure they stopped retrofitting it just because it would cannibalise premium package sales.

Winter pack; We didn't have this on our Model S, and never missed it either. When we ordered our Model X we added the cold weather package because the cost was so low. But in essence, you would preheat your car anyways so I would say you don't need any of it. Heated wipers are pretty useless IMHO, they just ice up – not warm enough to melt the snow/ice building up while driving. I actually like the heated steering wheel, but that is because I am prone to cold hands. All that is left then is the heated rear seats – again no biggie if you preheat the car anyways.

The doors; I guess I am part of a small minority that loves the self presenting doors. I drive from the country side and into the city (Oslo) for work every day, and have never considered turning them off. To the contrary, I even use it to open the door for passengers as we walk up to the car, by double-clicking the fob a second time. It is in no way a must, but it certainly contributes to the already futuristic feel of the car.

Walking up with whatever you have in your hands, and just having the doors open is just so handy.

Whenever I am in a situation where I don't want it to open, I single-click the fob first, so it doesn't pop open when I come closer – this is however the exception. Maybe something I do at most two times a month.

Do you have to turn it on manually on each use?

Jepp

We did not get it on our new X. OA showed us that even without the package the door opens when you lightly press on the handle. TBH I would prefer if the Falcon doors were manual. I think it's just something else to go wrong. I'm with you the sound was the only thing that I would have been interested in. But I have a P85 with the sound studio package and am not impressed. I assume it would have gotten better of the years but meh I put the money towards the white premium interior instead.

I was on the fence too, but decided to go with the PUP in the end. I do appreciate decent audio and I thought the HEPA filter was a good idea with all the local farming smells and my hay fever. The rest I wasn't so bothered about. I still think it's pretty poor value for money and would have preferred to choose individual options, but then that would probably push the price up anyway as it does with German cars where you literally have to choose everything! Reading into your own comments I wouldn't bother with PUP.

• Helpful
Question, can you open the doors still with the key fob or from the center screen if you don't have the premium upgrade package? Does not having the PUP just remove the auto open feature, but the other two features are still there?

Am getting ready to order one. The auto open doors would get annoying as I do constantly walk by my car without getting in, but do want the option to open the doors with the key fob or from the center screen, so if PUP is required for those features, then I'm stuck having to pay $6,000 just for those two features as the rest of it is meaningless to me.

Thank you.

Question, can you open the doors still with the key fob or from the center screen if you don't have the premium upgrade package? Does not having the PUP just remove the auto open feature, but the other two features are still there?

Am getting ready to order one. The auto open doors would get annoying as I do constantly walk by my car without getting in, but do want the option to open the doors with the key fob or from the center screen, so if PUP is required for those features, then I'm stuck having to pay $6,000 just for those two features as the rest of it is meaningless to me.

Thank you.
Without PUP, you can open and close the front doors from the screen, but you can only close the front doors with the fob. Falcon wing doors can be opened and closed from both screen and fob.

• The heated steering wheel allows me to comfortably keep cabin temp lower - handy when I need to extend range

• I LOVE the self-presenting doors. I thought they were gimmicky. Now I stand outside a rental car and have a brief moment of irritation because it didn't open. (Same with the door not closing when I press the brake. The horror! I have to close it myself.)

• And while the air quality is generally pretty great here in the Columbia River Gorge, when we had fires earlier this summer that bio filter was working full-time and the only place I had clean air to breathe was in my X.

So I went without the PUP, and the self-presenting door is the only feature we are sorely missing. It would satisfy the desire for me if the fob had a button to open the front doors, too.

Of all the PUP features, this is the one we miss the most. So, in retrospect, it wasn't worth it because that feature alone wasn't worth $5k for us.

It's been pretty cold lately, and I haven't been missing any of the sub-zero features. The stock sound system is pretty good on it's own, and the HEPA filter is not something I have been yearning for like self-presenting doors.

Hope that helps some others.