Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 release date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we're almost if not past the halfway point of a vehicle release, can anyone clarify when the actual 2017 model year x is out? Will it be at the end of the year or summertime or fall?

If it's in September, I may just opt for a later vehicle to get a 2017 model. I've waited long enough and don't really have much confidence in receiving my X in July.

Doesn't the VIN include a letter for the model year? I remember hearing that all of the Model X's that were delivered last fall were given a 2016 VIN. I imagine since Tesla doesn't really do model years, they probably adjust the VIN number closer to the actual calendar year than most manufacturers, but I could be wrong. I think some Model S owners should know. Your car insurance lists the model year of your vehicle.

Technically Tesla's have a model year (and is indicated in the VIN), but I think that's mostly because they have to because VINs have a standard form, and insurance companies' systems have to have it. But Tesla definitely makes many changes to their cars "mid-year". Has the Model S started 2016s? I'm guessing yes. And that it was before one of the largest changes to the car they've ever done. On the flip side, a 2015 Model S built a week before a 2016 Model S are likely identical.

All this to say, don't worry about waiting for a "2017" Model X. Place your order when you feel comfortable with the quality of the cars coming out of the factory.

Reactions: loganintx
Technically Tesla's have a model year (and is indicated in the VIN), but I think that's mostly because they have to because VINs have a standard form, and insurance companies' systems have to have it. But Tesla definitely makes many changes to their cars "mid-year". Has the Model S started 2016s? I'm guessing yes. And that it was before one of the largest changes to the car they've ever done. On the flip side, a 2015 Model S built a week before a 2016 Model S are likely identical.

All this to say, don't worry about waiting for a "2017" Model X. Place your order when you feel comfortable with the quality of the cars coming out of the factory.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I have an x75d slated for July. I know tesla changes options in the fly which is refreshing but the car industry still goes by years on the used market. I have a 2013 model s and a 2014 is the same car (early build) but is still valid differently on kbb. Just wondering if the 2017 model x would be released in September or October like other manufacturers.

Others have chimed in saying 2017 models come in on the new year. If that's the case than tesla is the only manufacturer I know that releases new model year vehicles on the actual year as spread to previous year.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I have an x75d slated for July. I know tesla changes options in the fly which is refreshing but the car industry still goes by years on the used market. I have a 2013 model s and a 2014 is the same car (early build) but is still valid differently on kbb. Just wondering if the 2017 model x would be released in September or October like other manufacturers.

This is a good point. I guess it depends on how you intend to "dispose" of the car in the future. In the private market with savvy buyers, they'll also care more about which "refresh" of the car it is, than technical model year. Age and mileage also play in, but secondarily (look at the market right now - easy to find non-autopilot S's - not so easy to find D's - except P85D's of people that have traded up to P90D's). But a trade in or similar arrangement they'll likely go "by the book" value.

I still wouldn't worry too much about model year. If you're worried about losing a couple thousand of resale value to wait 6-9 months for the car, you both don't have it and enjoy for 6-9 months later. And if you keep it for exactly 3 years, it makes no difference - it's still a 3 year old car, wether it's a 2016 model you're trading in 2019, or a 2017 model in 2020. If you're a month away from the new model year coming out anyway, it might be worth the wait. In May 2016 right now - definitely not.

Reactions: Diavel
Have concluded that the best time to buy a new Tesla is within the hour following an event that showcases a compelling reason to buy.

For example, the AP announcement, the promise of SCs from Tucson east along I-10, and a commitment to SC DENSITY as well as distance, all announced Q4 2014, were what compelled me to place an order shortly thereafter.

To date, Tesla has delivered most of the AP features, exactly ZERO of the EIGHT SCs needed to connect Tucson to San Antonio, and has indeed shown a commitment to density. So they're 2 for 3.

When Tesla announces a Model S100D (providing an extra 50 miles of range), AP 2.0 hardware, and resolves the SC Wasteland of Neglect and Broken Promises along I-10 (which would provide the first safer east-west transcontinental passage - no chains required), then I will quite probably place another order. Every day I wait past the day in which my criteria are met just increases the risk of obsolescence all the sooner.

Have concluded that the best time to buy a new Tesla is within the hour following an event that showcases a compelling reason to buy.

For example, the AP announcement, the promise of SCs from Tucson east along I-10, and a commitment to SC DENSITY as well as distance, all announced Q4 2014, were what compelled me to place an order shortly thereafter.

To date, Tesla has delivered most of the AP features, exactly ZERO of the EIGHT SCs needed to connect Tucson to San Antonio, and has indeed shown a commitment to density. So they're 2 for 3.

When Tesla announces a Model S100D (providing an extra 50 miles of range), AP 2.0 hardware, and resolves the SC Wasteland of Neglect and Broken Promises along I-10 (which would provide the first safer east-west transcontinental passage - no chains required), then I will quite probably place another order. Every day I wait past the day in which my criteria are met just increases the risk of obsolescence all the sooner.

Yup. Just like the best time to buy an iPhone is right after the announcement of a new model. At least with Apple there's hope of predicting "the next big thing".

For Tesla right now, that means a new-front S was just announced and is a great time to buy. The X is also still relatively new. There's still a possibility of a 100kWh battery at any time. As for AP 2.0 - it didn't happen with the X, and I've seen rumors of a slight better front camera in the refreshed S, but definitely not a 2.0. I wouldn't expect it until the 3. But Tesla being Tesla, it could happen at any time. AWD was originally scheduled to come out with the X, but came out on the S about a year earlier.

I wouldn't base a buy decision on supercharger deployments - if/when they happen, you'll get access to them even if your car is "older".

Others have chimed in saying 2017 models come in on the new year. If that's the case than tesla is the only manufacturer I know that releases new model year vehicles on the actual year as spread to previous year.

My model S was delivered in December 2012 and it is a 2012. The odd rollout of the Model X is the first time I've seen tesla use a model year before the year has arrived, but I think that's because they knew it wasn't really rolling out until the end of the year anyway.

That is unless they stick to it and 2017 will be released in October.

Only again, that is not how Tesla generally does things from a VIN perspective. As noted above, Tesla doesn't do model years like every other manufacturer does. The car is improved and changed constantly over time, usually without warning. Tesla did a few things unique to the X late last year, but I wouldn't expect that to become the norm. This year, a 2017 Model X won't be a "2017" until very late in the year when Tesla knows the car being built won't be delivered until 2017.

Jeff

My model S was delivered in December 2012 and it is a 2012. The odd rollout of the Model X is the first time I've seen tesla use a model year before the year has arrived, but I think that's because they knew it wasn't really rolling out until the end of the year anyway.
Releasing Model X as a 2016 model made sense due to the late introduction and how few were produced in 2015. Model S on the other hand started deliveries in June so there was a significant portion of the year left to build 2012s, even though ultimately they only delivered a couple thousand.

I understand the OP's question.

There is value in having a newer model year Tesla for resale. All the ads I see list the year of the car right up front. A 2012 will bring less money than a 2013 with all other things being equal.

With many X's being delayed in production (5 seat configuration, 75kw battery) it may make sense to delay if it will be just a short while to get a 2017. Why take an entire year's depreciation for just a month or so wait.